• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    OK. I've always considered myself a "gun guy". Maintaining and repairing guns is actually part of my job. I can diagnose, repair, properly maintain, modify, or customize, just about anything on a Glock, 1911, Beretta, AR-15, and many others.

I also considered myself very familiar with many different types of firearms. But, I have to admit. I've never even heard of the CZ brand before I became a member here. I'm also embarrassed to admit, I've never given one a good look in person, and I've never even held one let along shot one.

Reading a lot of posts on here is getting me interested in getting to know more about their line of firearms.

So, can some of you CZ fans out there tell me, what do you like so much about your CZ and which model best represents the brand? If I were to buy a CZ, which model would convince me to buy more?

Thanks,

Kick :ingo:

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    i really like the grip. i carry a P-01 which is the alloy version(most are steel) and it is very accurate. in the compact version it holds 14+1 rounds. it is a standard DA/SA trigger. they also all come with a CHF barrel. i never really new much about cz's until a member on here told me about them and said they were great, and they are, although i never really payed them attention because i always thought they were not so good because i never heard much about them and i used to think they were ugly.

i would have to say that the CZ shadow or something along those lines represents CZ. CZ makes a lot of guns for competition shooting and the likes, they also make long arms. if you are getting your first cz i would say get a regular 75 b, they can be had for about $525 online.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    If you really want to get into the CZ, try getting a "pre B" CZ75. Robertsons Trading Post out of Tennessee has some left, but they've been moving steadily. They're cheap, look beat to crap but still very much functional. I'd like to get a couple more myself.

If you don't want something so rough, and would rather have something new, I'd say any full size 75B or SP01 is a good place to start.

pokersamurai

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    CZ is my absolute favorite handgun brand. CZs are incredibly accurate, very ergonomic, and tough as an anvil. I would recommend getting a 75b as your first CZ, then if you want you can upgrade it later. That's another reason I love the CZ, they take so well to gunsmithing. I sent my CZ-75b in to the CZ custom shop and had them install a competition hammer. Now the trigger pull is absolutely amazing. The CZ-75b and the gunsmithing cost me less then my Sig and the CZ now has a much better trigger.

DSCF4416.jpg

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Once you hold one, shoot one, and REALLY feel one. You will know.

Until then all is just hearsay. But once you know you will know forever. And you will be hooked.

xdmstu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Lower NE Indy
    CZ is one of the most common military and police handgun brands in Europe.

I didn't know much about them either until a few years ago. My friend got himself a used 75B. Shortly afterwards Topgunsupply.com had a sale on P-01's. I have never regretted getting it. (It relegated my fairly new XDM to the safe.) For me it's the grip and the balance. It all just feels, "right". I also seem to prefer the exposed hammer and DA/SA design.

Some people don't care for the narrowness of the top slide. It sits inside the bottom frame, which also lowers the height of the exposed slide. As such, don't expect to do big meaty, sloppy, grasp-with-the palm-of-the-hand racking of the slide like one can do with the Glock, XDM, M&P, etc. At least not without some practice. For some, this is a drawback.

If you want a standard full size, find a used 75.

If you want compact goodness, check out the P-01 or 75D Compacts.

If you want newer design and beauty, check out he SP-01.

If you want competition, check out the Shadow's.

Have fun!

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    Most CZ pistols are built around the basic, "CZ 75" design, and come in many different flavors, sizes, safeties, triggers, de-cockers, etc..

CZ used to be almost completely unknown. AFAIK, their popularity grew due to their use in competitive shooting, where their off-the-shelf gaming guns might be in the $1500-$2000 range. As their reliability has caught on, prices have gone from very reasonable (not much more than $400), to sort-of expensive(close to $600), in the span of just a few years. Accessories, such as night sights, are less available than those for a Glock, and finding someone to install them is more difficult. You shouldn't need parts, but if you do, you'll have the same obstacles.

Reliability of the CZ 75 series of pistols, is second to none.

Fit, in-the-hand, is as, "pure sex", as Glock is, "2x4". (I shoot and/or carry Glock, CZ, and 1911, and love them all) Aftermarket grips are available, in some cool styles, but again, not as plentiful as 1911 grips.

The company likes to brag on the P-01, a compact version of the 75, with an alloy frame, and accessory rail, as it has undergone, and exceeded by miles, an internationally sanctioned battery of torture tests, earning a NATO NSN designation. You can read the associated press release at CZ's website.

According to CZ devotees, accuracy is increased by a slide that sits inside the frame rails, as opposed to the more common design, wherein the slide sits on top of, and outside the frame rails. This claim is logical, and the pistol is probably more accurate than most shooters.

The frame-to-slide fit may enhance accuracy, but renders much less real estate available for manipulating the slide during a combat-style malfunction clearance. The upside is, unless your ammo is faulty, or conditions cause the slide to be obstructed, you should never have to clear a malfunction. The downside though, is that if you do, you may well slice your hand on the sights or slide serrations, while trying to get a good grip on what little bit of slide you have available.

The DA/SA triggers usually suck, out of the box. New, the pistol comes with a package of snap-caps. I guess they figure you'll want to do a lot of dry-fire practice, to smooth it out. There is also the option of shipping the pistol, and a Benjamin or two, back to Kansas City, where Angus Hobdell, or one of his minions, will give it some love. If you have some mechanical aptitude, and do some research, you can change the mainspring to a lighter one. This will greatly improve the trigger, and unless you go too light, will not cause primer-related reliability issues.

Many comparisons have been made to the Browning Hi-Power, but, from what I have learned, are completely unfounded. They are two distinct, separate guns, sharing no functional design similarities.

Check out CZ-USA -> Hunting & Sporting Firearms and Accessories. Search Youtube for videos of Angus. If you can tolerate him, Nutnfancy posted a good interview/overview, with Angus, from SHOT 2012.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I have 2 CZ 75 Pre Bs, a P07, 5 452 rimfire rifles and a 527 Varmint/Target in 223. I've owned many other CZs and wish I had them all back. CZ produces some of the best weapons in the world. The 75 is a work of art. The grip fits my hand perfectly, the slide rides on inverted rails and is very smooth. The trigger in DA and SA operates very smoothly with little creep and the pistol can be carried DA/SA or Cocked n Locked. The rifles, including rimfires, have hammer forged bbls that are extremely accurate and well built. The rimfire triggers need a little work but by replacing a 60 cent spring you can get a helluva trigger. I love my CZs and wish I had more. :twocents: :yesway: ;)

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I've never owned a CZ, but have had a few of the EAA Witnesses over the years. If you like the 1911 and especially the Hi-Power grip, I bet you'll love the CZ! I never reccomended buying a gun before handling it, so next gun show (it's somewhat rare to find one at a shop) search down a CZ or Witness and get it in your hands.

One thing that I didn't see mentioned that is different about the CZ design is that the slide rides inside of the frame vs. outside. It's supposed to offer better stability due to increased contact area. It does give you less to grab onto when working the slide manually. Normally not a big deal but if you ate used to the overhand method of working the slide, you may have issues due to grabbing too much of the frame.

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    I say squander up $200 and try a CZ82/83. Its incredibly underrated. I started with a 52 and that was ok but I got that 82 and Im in love. I was gonna order a 75 for my birthday but They decided to discontinue the Skorpion so I ordered one of those before its too late. Im gonna have to squeeze in the 75 at some point soon since Xmas is getting taken up by a Sig. I need a 50, 70, 75, 58, 527? and Ill be complete on my CZs . . . . . . for awhile

Top Bottom