Why pay a premium for a Glock, or CZ, or H&K?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Kind of beating a dead horse but those other manufacturers listed have reputations built on years and/or decades of use by law enforcement agencies, military units, and professional shooters. Taurus simply doesn’t have that track record. I’m sure they’ve manufactured some solid firearms, but their body of work doesn’t match Glock, Sig, H&K, etc. If I’m selecting a firearm for self defense, I’m going spend extra for something trusted by those that put their lives on the line every day.
    Beating dead horses is what we do here. My personal motto is, "No horse is too dead to beat!!"

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    LoL that is hilarious. Iirc the model 44 was basically a S&W Model 29 or was built on the same machines at the time. I'm not sure how Taurus ended up with S&W machines but they had them then.
    How Taurus ended up with a lot of tooling from top tier brands is that Brazil's draconian import laws and extortionate tariffs create a situation where a manufacturer who gets a contract with the Brazilian military or law enforcement has to manufacture the product in Brazil and when its over it is generally more cost-effective to sell the tooling to Taurus than to take it. I don't know if there are any penalties for removing the tooling from the country or not.

I have never personally owned a Taurus. What I have heard over time from people who have is that their S&W doppelgangers are reliable if noticeably lacking in equal attention to detail. Similar story with the Beretta duplicates. Guns of their own design or doppelgangers that have been re-engineered by Taurus should not be trusted.

Last edited:

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    How Taurus ended up with a lot of tooling from top tier brands is that Brazil's draconian import laws and extortionate tariffs create a situation where a manufacturer who gets a contract with the Brazilian military or law enforcement has to manufacture the product in Brazil and when its over it is generally more cost-effective to sell the tooling to Taurus than to take it. I don't know if there are any penalties for removing the tooling from the country or not.

I have never personally owned a Taurus. What I have heard o

Correct me if I am wrong but are most of their 92 clones also made on berreta tooling as well? Kinda like the PTR MP5's in that regard. I have to admit I have heard decent things about Taraus revolvers, but I don't shoot revolvers so it's irrelevant to me personally.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield

I didn't know Staccato changed their name again :abused:

J68rmsr.jpg

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Correct me if I am wrong but are most of their 92 clones also made on berreta tooling as well? Kinda like the PTR MP5's in that regard. I have to admit I have heard decent things about Taraus revolvers, but I don't shoot revolvers so it's irrelevant to me personally.
    Yes, Beretta had a military contract and Taurus inherited the tooling.

grillak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2021
    Indianapolis
    They’re used in South America because they are produced in Brazil and are affordable for third world countries that can’t afford a better product. Do you really think they’d go with Taurus if they could afford to outfit their LEOs with H&K?
    uhhh. taurus is now manufactured in florida. for the last few years at least

grillak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2021
    Indianapolis
    I was using the p226 mags in the G2c's lol. They work great. Mec Gar makes 18rd P226 mags those were what I was mainly feeding them with. See if I have a picture of the 18rd mag in the G2c
    i have a few .40 sig p226 mags from the days when i was smart. i had heard about using them on the g2c. never tried it tho. i bought 6 mags for the 40 g2c for $17 a piece. wish i could remember the website.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Not all Taurus guns are made in the USA, I’m almost positive that all the revolvers are made in South America, the Georgia plant was were they were going to make their ar15

and FYI at one point thompkins international (a British company) owned both smith and Wesson and Taurus, and they shared a lot of designs, and by shared I mean they made smith give designs and manufacturing information to Taurus

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    maybe georgia...i know it's somewhere closer nowadays
    It's Georgia now, and those are the models you see in American gun stores. The post was in reference to military/LE use, and Taurus models issued to the Brazilian military and police are still produced at their factory in Sao Paolo. The other primary source of firearms for Brazil is Imbel, which is also located in Brazil.

led4thehed2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    Indianapolis
    When I turned 21 I bought a GLOCK 19, and my cousin bought a Taurus PT24/7. 15 years later, my GLOCK has fired 10,000 rounds flawlessly. My cousin sold the Taurus because it wouldn't run, the pistol was subjected to lawsuits, and is no longer made. He now carries a G19.

A newer Taurus. 380 I've shot had a long, horrid trigger. That's the extent of my Taurus experiences, but I'd say the evidence favors the GLOCK. Pistols that are cheap are cheap for a reason. My 2 cents.

grillak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2021
    Indianapolis
    Not all Taurus guns are made in the USA, I’m almost positive that all the revolvers are made in South America, the Georgia plant was were they were going to make their ar15

and FYI at one point thompkins international (a British company) owned both smith and Wesson and Taurus, and they shared a lot of designs, and by shared I mean they made smith give designs and manufacturing information to Taurus
    lol..i'm not sure of all tauruses. i know the g2c are made in georgia. i was just being an @ss. aren't berettas manufactured by taurus now?

grillak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2021
    Indianapolis
    When I turned 21 I bought a GLOCK 19, and my cousin bought a Taurus PT24/7. 15 years later, my GLOCK has fired 10,000 rounds flawlessly. My cousin sold the Taurus because it wouldn't run, the pistol was subjected to lawsuits, and is no longer made. He now carries a G19.

A newer Taurus. 380 I've shot had a long, horrid trigger. That's the extent of my Taurus experiences, but I'd say the evidence favors the GLOCK. Pistols that are cheap are cheap for a reason. My 2 cents.
    the factory triggers on my g2c's were ****. i did the trigger upgrades and they feel like a whole different pistol.

Last edited by a moderator:

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    lol..i'm not sure of all tauruses. i know the g2c are made in georgia. i was just being an @ss. aren't berettas manufactured by taurus now?
    Not exactly. Beretta opened a plant in Brazil to make pistols for the Brazilian Army back in the 70s. The factory and tools were sold to Taurus who continued to make Beretta clones. They are based off the original Beretta designs but aren’t technically Berettas.

grillak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2021
    Indianapolis
    Not exactly. Beretta opened a plant in Brazil to make pistols for the Brazilian Army back in the 70s. The factory and tools were sold to Taurus who continued to make Beretta clones. They are based off the original Beretta designs but aren’t technically Berettas.
    ahh.. i see. i would have never guessed it was that long ago with beretta and taurus.

Top Bottom