Why pay a premium for a Glock, or CZ, or H&K?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 30, 2012
    Elkhart, IN
    When I was younger and couldn't afford much I carried a first gen Taurus PT111, it was a good size pistol and worked ok. The trigger and sights were the worst part of it. I never ran it real hard as I couldn't actually afford to. I upgraded as I got the ability to something with a history of reliability.
    It's up to the person to decide if it's worth it, of it's all I could afford I would have a Taurus G3c, and have recommended it to some people.

I own a G3c I bought off a member here

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I've had no issues with my g3c approaching 500rds. It was accurate out of the box at 25yds compared to some of my higher priced pistols.

I think Taurus has improved in the quality control area though those dark periods still taint their name for some.
    I agree I think they have stepped up in the last several years. However how is their customer service now days? That plays a big part for companies.

Don't forget the TX22 it's been flawless for a 22lr semiautomatic. At least mine has been.

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    I'm sure that Glock would make them a deal.

The fact that they don’t use Glock is telling in and of itself. I work as a contractor for a federal agency and work directly with one of their firearm instructors. He gets Glocks for roughly $400 with his discount, give or take. They aren’t expensive when purchased by an agency. Taurus, on the other hand, doesn’t have a single model approved for duty by the NFTTU.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    The fact that they don’t use Glock is telling in and of itself. I work as a contractor for a federal agency and work directly with one of their firearm instructors. He gets Glocks for roughly $400 with his discount, give or take. They aren’t expensive when purchased by an agency. Taurus, on the other hand, doesn’t have a single model approved for duty by the NFTTU.
    That's why I wonder what police departments in the United States uses Taurus. Must be small towns I would think.

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    That's why I wonder what police departments in the United States uses Taurus. Must be small towns I would think.
    That would be my guess. I worked under an IDOC contract prior to my current assignment and we issued Glocks. Of all the audits I’ve conducted, there were only two facilities/agencies that varied from the conventional options. Georgia was still issuing .38s and a US Marshall’s facility in NYC allowed transport officers to carry personal firearms as long as they were approved by the state.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    That would be my guess. I worked under an IDOC contract prior to my current assignment and we issued Glocks. Of all the audits I’ve conducted, there were only two facilities/agencies that varied from the conventional options. Georgia was still issuing .38s and a US Marshall’s facility in NYC allowed transport officers to carry personal firearms as long as they were approved by the state.
    I wonder why CZ hasn't made any inroads into Glocks police and military contracts? The P10F is a fine duty polymer frame and so far very reliable with a flush fit 19rd magazine. It is about the same price maybe a hair lower than A Gen 5 Glock 17.

This video sums sums up the P10F pretty good. I've given mine a good workout I just can't get it to fail. Even limp wristing it.

Last edited:

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    I wonder why CZ hasn't made any inroads into Glocks police and military contracts? The P10F is a fine duty polymer frame and so far very reliable with a flush fit 19rd magazine. It is about the same price maybe a hair lower than A Gen 5 Glock 17.

This video sums sums up the P10F pretty good. I've given my a good workout I just can't get it to fail. Even limp writing it.

I can’t give a definitive answer, but the federal agencies have been issuing and approving firearms chambered in .40 S&W for almost 3 decades. Many local departments followed suit. CZ is known and appreciated by firearms enthusiasts, but never made inroads in law enforcement with firearms chambered in that caliber. Brands like Glock, Sig, Beretta, S&W, and even Springfield cornered that market. However, given modern ballistics, many agencies have begun to shift back to 9mm which may give CZ an opportunity to throw their hat in the ring if they choose to do so.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    We're talking 2019. When ammo was cheap and primers were available lol. Nothing like that recently. Oh and I was using 18rd P226 mags and the Taurus 12rd mags. Most of the time was spent loading magazines. Fast fire target shooting. I give my guns hell to see if they are reliable. Oh and I cleaned and lubed them both before I started they both went 1k + 20rds of 124gr XTP. Same for my CZ P10F. All passed without a problem. They don't get cleaned again until after I get done with the 1k rd testing. Takes about 2 hours per 500rds, why I had to spread it over 2 days.

grillak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2021
    Indianapolis
    Everyone has a different need, want and budget. I have plenty of firearms that I would never grab for serious use, but I like them nonetheless.

That being said the g3c is a decent gun for the money. Then again the yeet cannon is just as reliable, and half the price of a Taurus.
    show him the video gregr. lmao

grillak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2021
    Indianapolis
    We're talking 2019. When ammo was cheap and primers were available lol. Nothing like that recently. Oh and I was using 18rd P226 mags and the Taurus 12rd mags. Most of the time was spent loading magazines. Fast fire target shooting. I give my guns hell to see if they are reliable. Oh and I cleaned and them both before I started they both went 1k + 20rds of 124gr XTP. Same for my CZ P10F. All passed without a problem. They don't get cleaned again until after I get done with the 1k rd testing. Takes about 2 hours per 500rds, why I had to spread it over 2 days.
    the 1 600 or so rounds through my g2c 40 were 180 or 165 gr hst, gold dots, and sig v crowns. only a couple of stovepipes because of user error.

nothing beats my sig p220 tho.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    the 1 600 or so rounds through my g2c 40 were 180 or 165 gr hst, gold dots, and sig v crowns. only a couple of stovepipes because of user error.

nothing beats my sig p220 tho.
    I was using the p226 mags in the G2c's lol. They work great. Mec Gar makes 18rd P226 mags those were what I was mainly feeding them with. See if I have a picture of the 18rd mag in the G2c

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Because civilians can’t own police or military calibers down there it makes the Glock deals less affordable. Departments knock a good amount of money off the total cost of ownership by trading them in at the end of “service life”.

apparently a used glock is worth a brand new SIG :dunno:

I figured if they sold them say 20k pistols they would get a good deal. Surely even a small country could afford that.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    This isn't a knock on anyone. If a Taurus etc is all you can afford its all you can afford However, I see a variety of guns and skill in classes. People that show up with Taurus G2,3 etc, SCCY and Small Rugers usually have a miserable class. They just either don't work as well as others OR the user just has issues shooting it well for mechanical factors. (when we have those struggle and struggle we let them try a Sig 365 or M&P EZ and usualy no issues and accuracy improves)

One particular issue specific to the Taurus G 2 and 3 series (other than malfunctions) is it has a LONG pull which is a hindrance.

I also wouldn't call the price of a Glock premium. Polymer striker guns are far less expensive than the steel frame autos of years past. Look at the steel frame autos now they are double what a Glock is.

A couple other things to consider on a defensive handgun.
    1. If a Police agency hasn't adopted it at some point in time there is usually a reason.
    2 You can go into any gun store and find holsters, mags and usually parts for Glock, M&Ps and Sigs (CZ, HK FN etc can be area specific)
    If your not gonna shoot a whole lot or have it in a drawer the less than 300 dollar makes will be better than nothing but for shooting semi serious you'll regret not getting a better proven option.

Just been ny experience

Top Bottom