Why "Open Carry" when you can carry concealed?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Why? I don't understand what would be any different. Intended victim is now an OCer, yet not all bad guys and girls will be deterred. Why are we to think they would be deterred if the person had the gun on their hip when they aren't even deterred when the gun is pointed at them?

Once everyone has their guns in the fight, it's a gunfight.

It's no longer an intended victim, like they were in the pre-action phases of the crime, they are now an active victim of a crime in progress who is now fighting back.

Huge difference and you know it. I can't believe you tried to use than line of logic.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Since he's a LEO, I assume he must open carry as well. Did you ask him why he does it? Presumably he's not showing off, so he must be trying to intimidate people.

THIIIIISSSSS^^^^^^

I usually CC, mainly because I live a block off campus and am tired of all the 20 year old liberal fu**s who think that they should share their :twocents: every 5 seconds. When I go home in fort wayne im probably OCing 100% of the time. I dont see a problem with either. This is america, do whatever the hell you want as long as it doesnt infringe on anyone else. I dont see why so many people can be so oppressive but expect their rights to be honored.

I had a convo with a homosexual person (i am straight thanks) who complained about Indiana not allowing them the right to marry whomever. I dont understand that lifestyle, but honestly, you can do whatever the hell you want. It doesnt bother me at all, go get your insurance. Anyway, I told him, "I hate when people infringe on my rights, like my right of free speech or the right to carry a handgun" he said basically "youre a paranoid idiot showoff with something to prove" It kills me how people can be so passionate and vocal about rights when it benefits them, but when someone else wants something different, its stupid and irrelevant.

Do what you want and enjoy that Indiana still gives you the opportunity to choose.

Last edited:

BigGuyinMuncie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Muncie
    I have been looking in this forum, and there seems to be alot of Hoosiers that actually "Open Carry" their firearms while out in public. I have never been able to understand the reason why you would want to do this when you can carry concealed in this state.

My concern with open carry for example: I am in the check out counter of a gas station. A guy comes in scoping the place out to rob it, sees me with a gun on my hip.
    (A) He gets spooked, and finds an easier target.

(B) He pulls his concealed gun, blows my head off, and robs the store.

I guess my thinking is that if I have a concealed weapon, a bad guy is less likely to view me as a threat. If he does decide to rob the place, I can react if need be, or just be a good witness.

Sorry if this topic has been mentioned.

I think that you may have answered your own question....hopefully seeing your gun and getting him "spooked off" is all it takes, and maybe it will set it in his mind that you never know who in the room might have a loaded gun.

Bond 281

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    I have been looking in this forum, and there seems to be alot of Hoosiers that actually "Open Carry" their firearms while out in public. I have never been able to understand the reason why you would want to do this when you can carry concealed in this state.

My concern with open carry for example: I am in the check out counter of a gas station. A guy comes in scoping the place out to rob it, sees me with a gun on my hip.
    (A) He gets spooked, and finds an easier target.

(B) He pulls his concealed gun, blows my head off, and robs the store.

I guess my thinking is that if I have a concealed weapon, a bad guy is less likely to view me as a threat. If he does decide to rob the place, I can react if need be, or just be a good witness.

Sorry if this topic has been mentioned.

(C) The guy comes in shooting and kills you as you fumble to draw your concealed gun.

OC wins, 2-1. (I generally CC)

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Sometimes I CC, sometimes I OC, but most of the time I do both at the same time. :D

The choice comes down to where I am going, what I am doing, and what the weather is like. Its easier to OC when its hot, because its more comfortable. I CC when I'm going to be violating some restaurant or stores policy, obviously, because its easier that way.

I enjoy open carrying because I think that it will help raise awareness. Whether it sparks a conversation with someone who didn't know that carrying a gun was even an option, or just inspires them to Google it when they get home, I consider it a job well done. The more people that carry guns, the safer we all are. I'd like to think that I'm hopefully making a difference, one person at a time.

As for downsides to OC'ing....people give me dirty looks occasionally, but why do I care what they think? If they're too close-minded to respect my rights, then they can just shove off. Most of the time, no one really even notices; and those that do, seem to not care at all.

In addition, I think that OC'ing makes me a nicer person; honestly. When I am OC'ing, I have noticed that I tend to smile more, talk to people more, and be more polite. I think its because, normally, I possess a rather grim visage, and I tend to walk rapidly, and with a determined stride. I think that somehow, combining that with an openly carried firearm would cause a bit more trouble. So, I subconsciously talk to people more, smile more, and interact with people more when I open carry, to help dispel that air of a pissed off guy with a gun.

Just my .02 cents.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    I think anyone that OCs or CCs is probably a criminal. Only cops should have guns. And I guess the military. It's hard to win wars with slap fights.

Guns are DANGEROUS. We just can't have anyone possessing them. Unless you join the people's army, comrade.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    hat about a sword? Can I at least carry a sword?

swords_sticks.jpg

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    There are two such examples. One is somewhat old now, and has always been questioned because it was right around the time before the internet really became an archive for everything. No one could really prove it without likely pulling some microfilm.

The second incident is likely over a year old. It involves a Wisconsin (I think) man who OCed. . .

Just to correct you, I asked for examples that showed what the OP proposed. He proposed people being targeted AND SHOT/KILLED.

Theft does not count. That is not what he said would occur.

If you want to consider theft of a weapon then you'd also have to bring up the few times each year when someone has a weapon taken from them when they confront an attacker/robber and don't use it. Those people had the gun in their hand, pointed at the bad guy, and still had it taken away. But again, that is not what the OP was referring to either.

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    My wife wants a red car. I keep telling her that white cars are more visible at night. Which is better?

OK - I CC because it's no one else's business that I'm armed. If I find myself in a situation, I can choose to get involved or not. If someone has the drop on me, I'd just as soon they not know I'm carrying. Others have different reasons for either CC or OC. There is no answer, only debate.

Top Bottom