Why don't red states create actual bonafide well regulated State Militias?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    So to what extent are urban gangs arguably militias? Perhaps not that well-regulated, but still...

And consider, the way most of us view gangs is probably how Shannon and Mike view lawful gun owners.

Gangs signally fail at serving as agencies of national or state defense, thus fail to meet one of the key criteria. Beyond this, they don't do much to provide for furthering the cause of peace and tranquility in the community but rather cause the absence of these conditions. They don't seem to make any pretense of being militias.

Oh, and I doubt Shannon has really given us enough thought to think such dark things about us. The ***** was a PR professional translated professional propagandist before becoming a trophy wife and stay at home mommy for her husband's first marriage kids briefly before going zealot, even though she would have us believe she was barefoot and pregnant (again, never gave birth to a child) until she just couldn't sit back while the world burned.

She is nothing but a money-grubbing hireling with no loyalties to any person, organization, or ideology beyond self-promotion. Now the lefties love her even though she spent years as a propagandist for Monsanto which the left loves to hate.

As far as I am concerned her reasons for marriage make her not so much a wife as a prostitute with a long term contract which is consistent with her professional career.

Last edited:

SwikLS

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2015
    The Bunker
    the well regulated militias referred to in 2A are citizen militias as Scalia said in Heller. So if youve bought a firearm in the last 20 years or if you break one of the gun laws and get caught youll get a good taste of how regulated our citizen militias are.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    So to what extent are urban gangs arguably militias? Perhaps not that well-regulated, but still...

And consider, the way most of us view gangs is probably how Shannon and Mike view lawful gun owners. 樂

Well, since the "urban gangs" essentially arise out of criminal enterprises, it would be a bit of a stretch to say htey are a militia, well regulated or otherwise.

If they were formed primarily to protect a local neighborhood from depredation by criminals, I might have a different view of them.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    One point is, the term "well regulated" meant something different in circa 1790 than we wrongly understand it means today.

The phrase “well-regulated” was in common use long before 1789, and remained so for a century thereafter.
    It referred to the property of something being in proper working order.
    Something that was well-regulated was calibrated correctly, functioning as expected.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    One point is, the term "well regulated" meant something different in circa 1790 than we wrongly understand it means today.

The phrase “well-regulated” was in common use long before 1789, and remained so for a century thereafter.
    It referred to the property of something being in proper working order.
    Something that was well-regulated was calibrated correctly, functioning as expected.

:yesway:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    They have then already.

You can sign up at the military recruiter to be part of your State National Guard. That is if you want actual training and regular drills.

If you are between 18 and 55 you are already a member of the sedentary militia. When activated the Governor is your CIC.

If you just want to run around in the woods with a bunch of overweight untrained wanna be operators. There are options for that, that come along with NSA supervision.

1. As the Supreme Court has held, 9-0, the National Guard is NOT a state militia but part of the federal military.

2. Everyone in Indiana 17 or older is part of the unorganized militia. Indiana has several organized organized militias, the largest being the Indiana Guard Reserve.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I'm serious, with legislation that creates and sets up an official well regulated militia. With the stated purpose to fend off Federal tyranny if ever needed.

No requirements to do anything, you're just part of it automatically if you have an Indiana LTCH or you can register for it as well. You could even allow out-of-staters to be part of the Indiana "militia".

Instantly eliminates any argument from the left.

P.S. Maybe one requirement is to own at least one handgun and one black rifle.

1. If you are 17 or older in Indiana you are part of the unorganized militia. You do not need a LTCH. You must fog a mirror.

2. Indiana already has an organized militia.

What "arguments" are you seeking to eliminate that have not been eliminated? That were not dealt with in Heller? Have you read Heller?

Well-regulated militia is part of the precatory clause of the Second Amendment, a Statement of Purpose. Just as the Statement of Purpose of the First Amendment (right to petition) does not define a right, the Statement of Purpose of the Second Amendment does not define the right.

NAACP v. Alabama (1958): Statement of purpose does not define a right.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Now it makes sense. I wasn't sure what component he was in.

HHD, HQ Staff, Deputy SJA.

Now under 81st Troop Command, formerly of Terre Haute, now Indianapolis, under BG Thibodeau.

Our mission is to help the Indiana National Guard and to help the people of Indiana as directed by the Governor. I am all for that. I am happy and proud to have helped, in my minor way, during the pandemic but others in the Organized State Militia, especially the medical unit (19th Medical Regiment) were magnificent during all stages of the pandemic. Indiana has much to be proud of here, even if we are unaware of the extent of our militia.

We are auxiliaries who want to help however we can. Yeah, I know, despite what the photos on the net show (my favorite, the damn compass shots like we are training to drop mortars rounds on people, wish those would go away), we exist to help others. I teach in classroom, I give powerpoints, but I don't mind sorting cleaning supplies and lifting (what I did in Indy for a few days in May). My job is primarily to learn, that is why I was in Bloomington for a few days in February so I could do Search and Rescue training. That's why I do those FEMA, OSHA and DA classes on-line with the same awful music that makes me nuts.

If I want to run around in the woods or march around with a rifle, I can do that at home where I have my choice of a myriad of guns. Did not join to do any of that. I want to help, not fight off tyranny or any such fantasy. Passed my last PT test at AT but I know I am not 21 any longer. That is why doing such goofy crap that I do at my age is so important to me. No need for me to do the Norwegian Foot March but I did them for a higher purpose. To each myself not to quit on me so I don't quit on others if I am needed. I want to use my training, my education, my experience to help my fellow Hoosiers, in uniform or out.

Last edited:

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    1. As the Supreme Court has held, 9-0, the National Guard is NOT a state militia but part of the federal military.

2. Everyone in Indiana 17 or older is part of the unorganized militia. Indiana has several organized organized militias, the largest being the Indiana Guard Reserve.

Kirk:

!7 is the minimum age - is there a "maximum" age? Thanks!

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I'm actually going to look into the whole reserve to No-go component. I saw pics of guys with beards ( I miss the Zoomie Zumwalt days). This might be good for an OG like me.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I tried to get the IN Volunteers formalized so there would be a way to actually call up the militia, and provide some training a few years ago. Though my state congressman carried it forward as a bill we received a considerable amount of resistance both in the state, the formal NG and right here on INGO. The state AG didn't want the responsibility even though there would have been a INV AG organizing under him.

Apparently, to some on INGO if the governor is going to be the CIC it's not a good thing because he is part of the government. Of course then, who would be? Or is it just anarchy and guns that some people think a militia is supposed to be :dunno:

I still think organizing the INV would be a grand idea. Sort of on the Switzerland model. Marksmanship days etc...even if not tax funded at least encouraged.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    May I suggest effective means to achieve your goals, OP:

1. Join a gun rights group or three. For example, this upcoming session in the General Assembly will be "Constitutional Carry" (eliminating the LTCH). How about joining an Indiana group first? How about the Indiana State Rifle and Pistol Association?*DISCLAIMER BELOW*

Help pull the wagon! https://isrpa.org/

2. Write your state and federal legislators!

3. Read and study the history of the RKBA. If you need book or law review articles, I can readily give them.

4. Take non-shooters shooting. Politics is downstream of culture. Reach out.

Above all, vote.

The less effective the remedy, sanctuary counties, LARPing militias, inter alia, the more stock the gun culture puts in them. Don't do that nonsense, join, education, organize.

DISCLAIMER: KIRK FREEMAN SERVES ON THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS FOR THE INDIANA STATE RIFLE & PISTOL ASSOCIATION

Last edited:

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Looks like it could use a little updating

https://www.in.gov/history/2859.htm

It has been. That is the original, this is the current.

Section 1. A militia shall be provided and shall consist of all persons over the age of seventeen (17) years, except those persons who may be exempted by the laws of the United States or of this state. The militia may be divided into active and inactive classes and consist of such military organizations as may be provided by law.
    (History: As Amended November 3, 1936; November 5, 1974).

Talonap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Ill Annoys (IL) For now
    I'm actually going to look into the whole reserve to No-go component. I saw pics of guys with beards ( I miss the Zoomie Zumwalt days). This might be good for an OG like me.
    I was doing my Navy stuff then also. Seemed like he wanted to change the uniforms every other month. :-)> (We may now return to the original chain of thought...)

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Well, the first NG recruiter tried to get me to join my old company. I tried my best without calling him a dumb m%$#!?☆♤¥°~♧ that he so desperately needed to be called. I said...No, I want to join the NoGo Reserve. He told me that the 738th is part of the Army Reserve. What point of No! did he not understand? I was a NoGo recruiter in high school. Went for a weekend at Fort Harrison for school. The guy was not listening to me. I told him to have the REAL NoGo Reserve recruiter to call me as I had enough of his dumb arse. Waiting for a call at work. Beware if they try to hook you into the regular NoGo.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Because the term "Militia" is forever associated with the goofballs running around in the woods with their airsoft gear trying to play soldier.

Top Bottom