Why don't red states create actual bonafide well regulated State Militias?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    I'm serious, with legislation that creates and sets up an official well regulated militia. With the stated purpose to fend off Federal tyranny if ever needed.

No requirements to do anything, you're just part of it automatically if you have an Indiana LTCH or you can register for it as well. You could even allow out-of-staters to be part of the Indiana "militia".

Instantly eliminates any argument from the left.

P.S. Maybe one requirement is to own at least one handgun and one black rifle.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    They have then already.

You can sign up at the military recruiter to be part of your State National Guard. That is if you want actual training and regular drills.

If you are between 18 and 55 you are already a member of the sedentary militia. When activated the Governor is your CIC.

If you just want to run around in the woods with a bunch of overweight untrained wanna be operators. There are options for that, that come along with NSA supervision.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I have been asked to join several groups. Checked out two. Neither were what I would call my cup of tea. One was just a talking about stuff type of group. Kind of nice but I smelled the bull**** over the cigar smoke and whiskey. (The opus x cigar was very nice but made me green for a while) The other wanted me to travel to Louisville KY a while back to go to a certain race track.push back against those who shove. Much more active do something group but that rally at Louisville was not anything I needed or wanted to be a part of.

So I still stick to my local MAG. We help out each other as we can. Setting up some fence posts for a larger gate. Changing out a water. heater. Loaning out a high jack to lift an old car that had sunk into the ground. I walk and talk to the neighbors. I know the police in my area and I feel blessed to know them by name and there seems to be more and more of them in my area. Even at that we are few and far between as two guys moved to a more rural area in may. So two down locally but two places to go if needed.

Find like minded individuals as yourself. Find stills on them you don’t have. First help them do something as we can all use help doing things. Hopefully when you talk and say”I am digging a ditch Sunday” he shows up with a shovel or better yet a backhoe.

jaymark6655

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2018
    Bloomington
    Originally you had organize militia, more like the national guard, and the unorganized militia, which was anybody who could fight. If the state sets it up, I think it is no longer unorganized. National Guard is kind of both militia, but not militia since they fall under Governor command, but also Army command. I agree most groups seem to be a joke or a club. Have heard of a couple very small groups that do have the resources to do actually training and have members that have half a clue, not aware of any in this state so can't help you there.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We have been approached by 3 different groups.
    2 were disorganized and had no teeth.
    3rd was branched into other states and seemed to be on point but in this, I am leery of intentions and actions that may be taken. I am not one to fall into lockstep and be a part of anyone's personal herd. We will do what must be done but as we see the need.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    We have been approached by 3 different groups.
    2 were disorganized and had no teeth.
    3rd was branched into other states and seemed to be on point but in this, I am leery of intentions and actions that may be taken. I am not one to fall into lockstep and be a part of anyone's personal herd. We will do what must be done but as we see the need.

This is the best assessment I have seen posted. It seems to mirror my own position of seeing to my own preparedness with the option of acting cooperatively with others as I may see fit at any time.

migunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 4, 2011
    DeMotte
    I spent 8 years from 17 to 25 in the US Navy serving in Vietnam. I consider myself to be a loyal US Citizen. BUT, When you sign a contract or enlist, you give up a lot of flexibility. Joining ANY Government organization seems contrary to the desire to be organized in case the Government runs amok! How often has the Gaurd been activated and sent to fight foreign wars!
    Just Sayin !!!!!

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    The Militia Act of 1993 started the process of federalizing the state militias and it was cemented by the National Guard Act of 1933, so, no, the National Guard is NOT a state militia in the sense under consideration.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The Militia Act of 1993 started the process of generalizing the state militias and it was cemented by the National Guard Act of 1933, so, no, the National Guard is NOT a state militia in the sense under consideration.

The NG is a gov. ran outfit and not a Militia per say. The NG can and has been called up to roll out to off continent struggles. That is not a militia.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    The NG is a gov. ran outfit and not a Militia per say. The NG can and has been called up to roll out to off continent struggles. That is not a militia.

Start with what George Mason called the Militia (the whole of the people, except for a few elected officials) and fast-forward to NG/ANG today? No real comparison. As long as NG/ANG are activated under Title 10, they are active duty (AD) military. The biggest difference between the regular components and NG/Reserve types I saw was they had to be out of the AOR when they were no longer AD. We used the phrase, "they turn into pumpkins". Not just one or two either, entire units with aircraft.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    So to what extent are urban gangs arguably militias? Perhaps not that well-regulated, but still...

And consider, the way most of us view gangs is probably how Shannon and Mike view lawful gun owners.

Top Bottom