• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BBQ GURU

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    North Side of Indy
    Hi, all. I'm still pretty new to the forum, but I've been around guns most of my life. Dad was NRA Lifetime member, and had quite a collection when he passed.

I've fired a few Glocks but never really "got" them. I didn't like the way they felt in my hand, didn't like the trigger -- but I was likely spoiled by having fired some of dad's nice stuff.

So fast forward, and I'm at the 1500. Every manufacturer seems to have a plastic gun now. I can see the fabrication being cheaper perhaps, which might benefit the manufacturers. But lots of people are buying them. And my question is, why do you pick a glock or similar polymer-frame pistol over an equivalent steel version?

Ergonomics? Weight? Accuracy?

Just curious to know from those of you that DID get it.

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    Weight is the only reason I can see.

There is NO other distinct advantage offered by plastic (or space age polymer) that I can think of. You can argue that Glocks are more reliable but I would argue that a metal Glock would be just as reliable, and it wouldn't melt. A real steel gun cant be beat by a comparable model polymer frame.

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    Really the most important parts of the Glock and others are steel. Its the frame, grips and magazines mostly made from the polymers. They are much lighter and wont break or rust. Because they are lighter they are easier to carry. Of course you will get some that will disagree. But the important thing is that you get what you like and feel comfortable with

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    I am really not a plastic gun fan. I have shot a S&W SW9 and a Glock and just didn't care for either one plus couldn't hit doodey with either one. I am impressed with the Walther P22 though, I could bounce a soda can all day at 25yrds +. I think I just have trouble with a DAO trigger.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Weight savings...

Many are rather "soft" recoiling despite their weight due to the flex of the frame.

Most are also less expensive to manufacture = less expensive for consumers. (H&K being a very notable exception...)

Personally, I own a smattering of both, but have a few more polymers vs. metal frames.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Why did I get a plastic gun? Heck why not? If I can afford it; than I am getting it. I have a Glock and a Ruger 22lr pistol in polymer frames. From a daily use view, I don't see any advantage or disadvantage.

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    Commonly carried by law enforcement means a lot of spare parts will be around for a long time and number two I use a round common either to a majority of law enforcements or the military again will always be some rounds avialable.

ThePope

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Fort Wayne,In
    All the usual reasons, I guess, weight, price, control, high-cap mags, feel in the hand, etc........

I own both types of various pistols, love 'em all for a plethora of reasons....

I can out-shoot most comers with the XD .45 Tac....strictly stock, it is a tack-driver like no other pistol I've fired, and I have fired hundreds of models and brands....I do well with the S+W 's, close to the XD, but I will still put a whuppin' on ya with that XD at 50 feet ( I would shoot it farther, but 50 is the max. I can at the range....)

I ain't just talkin', I've proven it over and over and over.....The only guy that beats me on a regular basis, is a feller shooter that built his from the frame up using an STI International frame, and after-market barrel, trigger job, hand lapped slide fit and shoulder work, hand loads, took him 2 years to build it, but remember, mine is bone stock combat gun....

I am out....:cool:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    The plastic frames re lighter, quite strong, and impervious to corrosion. They also tend to feel softer in recoil than their weight would warrant, due I think to the flexing of the frame absorbing some of the energy. The grips can feel quite good in the hand, and the grip can be smaller than metal framed guns.

While I prefer the feel of a metal framed gun, tupperware does have it's advantages. You aren't alone in not liking the feel of the Glock, but there are others out there. It's worth putting an SR9, XD, M&P or FN in your hand to see how they feel to you.

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    I like my glock but I love my Hi-Power and 1911.

Enough time with a firearm and you can become very accurate. If people start to say the ergonomics on the glock are sooooooo much better well go and try out for the next top shot.

I know my glock loaded with 16 rounds weighs about the same as my Hi-Power empty.

Snayperskaya

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    Indy Northwest
    Fire a p30. You will understand. Polymer guns absorb most of the impact of the recoil and will last significantly longer than a steel or alloy frame. For those of you who disagree I suggest you do some research on material density and rigidity.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    A real steel gun cant be beat by a comparable model polymer frame.

Please elucidate ... just what can a real steel gun do better than a polymer frame gun? Other than stand a few more degrees in a fire that is, which is what it would take to melt a polymer gun.

Are they more accurate? Nope.
    Are they more reliable? Nope.
    Are they higher capacity? Nope.
    Are they easier to carry? Nope.

Truth is it all comes do to personal preference.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    I alternate between my G22 and my Colt1911 (Both can be seen in their respective "Show N Tell" threads).

Both are great shooters but I carry the G22 when I'm concerned about weight or environmental issues (Sorry but I don't keep cleaner/lube in the truck and the iron sights on my 1911 are nearly impossible to use after dark compared to my G22 sights even though they are not "Night Sights") or if I'm going somewhere that I feel warrants having 30+ rounds available without packing 4+ spare mags should I need them.

Basically the G22 would be my "G2W" pistol but the 1911 has sentimental value and is an amazing weapon in it's own right so it earns its carry time on those merits.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I've had many steel and polymer guns over the years. My bedstand gun is a Glock 32 in .357SIG (it has factory Night Sights) and an extra mag. My 'grab-n-go' gun is a Ruger SP101 in .357mag. with a Mepro NS and Badger Boot Grip. For the summer, I've purchased a Ruger LCR in .38+P (which doesn't drag my shorts pocket down so far)...and my wife stole it....so I'm back to the SP101!

Over the years, I've had a Colt .45's Officer's Model, several Glocks, Taurus PT-145 and 85, Kahr 9mm, various Ruger Revolvers, etc. To be honest, I'm much more accurate with a revolver than I am in anything else...and it feels more comfortable to me and the Glock(s) give me higher capacity. Take your pick.

With young kids in the house...we are down to one (1) semi-auto (the Glock) and we do not keep a round in the chamber. All guns are kept in the safe and un-loaded (except for the Glock...as I can rack the slide in a few short milli-seconds and go.) There is a Remington 870 Tactical hanging in the closet (again, no round in the chamber...but the mag is loaded) that makes a God-awful racket when you fire it a couple of times. We'll beef back up again as the kids get older...but we'll accomodate the kids as we do it...rifles for them, etc.

Always better to be safe than sorry!!!

Top Bottom