Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    The biggest reasons in my mind are

-Weight
    -Corrosion resistance
    -Cost

:+1: I did not start carrying until I was 58yrs of age. I wanted something I could CC when in the office or out and about. I wanted reliability, concealability, ergonomic fit, low cost.

I asked my resident experts :bow: —my son, an ex-Army Reserve man; and my brother, a lifer in the Air Force, Army tanks, and Army Reserve (recon). My brother was old school from the get-go. 1911 .45 was the only wise choice. :oldwise: Only exception was a .45 revolver. :drill:

My son disagreed. He was carrying a G26, with a SP101 for back up. I tried them all. I found the G26 fit my hand and my needs. 1911 was just too big for CC. Revolver trigger pull was too long (I consistently fired low and left, pulled down by the wait for the for the shot to fire—you know, "wait for it . . . wait for it . . . when is that sucker gonna . . . damn! there it was! :facepalm:)

Went back to my brother (he was trucking at the time). He said 9mm was to weak, could not stop a BG. Gave me all the stories about BGs in the Philippines not being stopped by smaller calibers so the Army came up with the .45. Problem solved. :horse: Good reasoning, I thought. So I told him I was planning on carrying hollow points.

"Those are illegal!" he said. :rolleyes:

"Not in Indiana. I checked it out. I plan to carry the G26 with hollow points. If I can't stop the BG with eleven (10+1) hollow point rounds I deserve what I get." :draw:

"Hollow points are legal in Indiana?! Well, go with the Glock, then."

Since my brother has been kicking my butt since we were kids (yes, he was older—but he was smaller and I thought I should be able to whip him. Learned my lesson. Never mess with big bro, especially if he is a lifer), I took his advice. Especially as it was supported by my brilliant civil (structural) engineer first-born son. I bought the Glock. :D

When the G26 proved a bit large for summer carry, I bought its smaller little brother (after all, little brothers are smarter ;))— Taurus 709 slim. Practice makes perfect, so I am still working on the accuracy; but I can hit my targets at 10-15 yds with either hand or weapon. Spread is wider than I like, but I am working on it. :shoot:

Plastic works for me. The BG is down; does not matter if he was hit from plastic or steel. But if my only option was steel, I would probably be throwing rocks instead of lead. :eek:

:coffee:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Do to the frames being molded it keeps the cost down, which is not always the cost though. The ligther weight makes a big difference, if you pack a full size pistol around all day. Most every polymer framed pistol is high capacity. Most are striker fired, so once they are cocked they are SA. I hate manual safties. I still like steel framed pistols. I do have a 92FS, and when funds allow I'm getting another CZ 75. Also ever grabed a metal gun when it's 100 degress outside? To the one that made a comment about them melting. Most injection molds are heated to 350 degrees +. So if your plastic gun melts, well you got a real lemon.

tem375

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 3, 2010
    My reasons are(in no particular order) weight, glock reliablility, capacity(common polymer guns have higher capacity than common steel guns) , polymer is self lubricating(in areas where it is not metal on metal such as magazine wells etc.), and last and most important to me, glocks fit my hands well.

Edit: forgot durability, and resistance to corrosion

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    I would argue that a metal Glock would be just as reliable,

And could be smaller.

When comparing a steel item to the same item made from polymer:

If the dimensions are the same, the polymer will be much lighter, but not nearly as strong as steel.

If the weight is the same, the polymer will be stronger, but FAR larger.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    And could be smaller.

When comparing a steel item to the same item made from polymer:

If the dimensions are the same, the polymer will be much lighter, but not nearly as strong as steel.

If the weight is the same, the polymer will be stronger, but FAR larger.

Not necessarily the case...

Also, it depends on which definition of "strength" that you use.

Case in point, the metal vs polymer trigger guards on the Ruger 10/22 rifles.

The newer polymer ones, even though the same size and shape as the older metal ones, are "stronger" in that they won't bend or dent like the metals ones were prone to doing. They're also more impact resistant...meaning it takes a harder hit to break one.

The science of polymers has, to quote a phrase, come a long way, baby.

I fully admit, though, that if your definition of "strength" involves wear resistance between moving parts...then of course polymer is going to wear out faster. Why do you think that, even in "polymer handguns" that all of the important stuff is steel?

-J-

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    I don't really consider poly vs steel/aluminum frame as an issue. Though I'd like my next handgun to be aluminum framed. So I'm torn between the SR9c (me wants, but poly) and the older KP89. I personally see no plus to poly, just means some cleaners will eat at your frame. My daily carry is a KP345 (SS/Poly). My reasoning for the non-poly is just because I want one.

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    I don't really consider poly vs steel/aluminum frame as an issue.

Agreed. I don't consider it at all when buying a firearm. It is far more important to choose something you shoot well and are comfortable with.

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    Plastic makes pistol-whippings last longer. Just sayin'

You just don't get that same THWACK with a plastic pistol, do you. :):

I just prefer the heft of a steel framed, or an alloy framed, handgun I guess. No other reason that I can think of. Of the pistols that I'll carry, the only polymer frame is on the P3AT.

I've got nothing against polymer though. A good gun is a good gun regardless of frame material.

bw210

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Kouts, IN
    I have Glocks and stainless 1911's and shoot them both. As far as a carry gun, I carried a stainless Rugers & stainless TRP then 2 different Glock 27's and back to a SA EMP40. Corrosion resistant was not an issue with any. Cost also is not an issue - my life is worth any reasonable price on a firearm I am proficient with. Basically it came down to width of the gun for me. My EMP40 is almost a pocket sized 1911 and .40S&W to boot. As far as weight - I think the 180gr .40S&W is the best carry round developed and my G27's being lighter had more "snappy" recoil than my current stainless counterpart and controls recoil far better. In the end it comes down to personal preference. If it didn't - we would all be carrying the same sidearm instead of hundreds of models to choose from.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    To me, it's weight and cost. Personally, I like a heavier, steel pistol. They seem to do better with recoil for me, and a few extra ounces isn't going to break me.

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    Thanks for all the replies. Can't wait for Beech Grove to open their range, seems like it's time for me to try the plastic guns again.

Definetly the best way to figure out your preference. :yesway:

It might be bad for you wallet, but hopefully your preference will be "both." :D

Owen

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Fishers
    I love the low weight for a carry pistol, I'm unlikely to ever have another steel carry gun... Sure love the looks of a Wilson Combat 1911 though! Seriously, I find that the light weight is far more comfortable to carry, yet they (the Glock at least)
    is a pretty mild shooter.

I carry a Glock 23 and/or a Ruger LCP. The Ruger is a difficult gun to shoot well, guess I need to practice more. :-)
    The Glock is far more accurate than I am, and I like the feel and fit, ymmv.

Top Bottom