• ...and so much more!
  • SmolderOutdoors

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Westfield
    I have a cheely custom gunworks 2011 built on a sti frame chambered in 40. It’s my absolute favorite firearm I own. (It should be considering it cost 3k 10 years ago) I reload so I load 40s long and with just enough powder to make major power factor. Its a dream to shoot.

When I had a Glock 22 shooting factory Winchester white box it was manageable but not nearly as fun. As others have stated it’s a caliber that has diminished in value as technology has improved 9mm ballistics… and there’s the fact 9mm is a nato cartridge so no concerns over future availability.

40 isn’t going away. It’s just taking a backseat to 9mm for now.

Reactions: Leo

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I only have 1 .40 but it's a sweet.
    Mine is a 5" barreled "Baby Eagle", all steel and simply magnificent.

I'm not head-over heals in love with the .40, but I won't be getting rid of my Baby Eagle.

INP8riot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    West Central
    Careful if you plan on putting a light on the rail. For whatever reason G22 and rail mounted lights do not play well together. I have 2 and put lights on both but removed them. From what I can remember off the top of my head, it damages something permanently. May want to do a quick Google of that though.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Careful if you plan on putting a light on the rail. For whatever reason G22 and rail mounted lights do not play well together. I have 2 and put lights on both but removed them. From what I can remember off the top of my head, it damages something permanently. May want to do a quick Google of that though.

Nothing is damaged permanently unless you way over torqued it. Some Gen 3s did not play well with WMLs, though not every gun / wml combo had the issue.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Zero .40 hate here. When ammo gets in short supply, you can always find .40.
    It's a bit snappy, but I still think .40 is a fine caliber and have no plans to kick it out of my stable, just not sure I'm adding to it
    I'm here...Zero hate for the .40 S&W and don't mind the felt recoil at all, even though it's a bit more stoudt than the softer 9mm. I'm more of a fan of .357 magnum so .40 S&W isn't necessarily a 'harsh' round, as I've heard some call it.

Last edited:

Dante1983

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2021
    I kinda want one, it was the “cool” pistol when I was a teenager. Maybe a lame reason, but I want a 90’s firebird and a vista cruiser too.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Because it sucks balls man. 40 Short and Whimpy at its heart is just a bastardized pug loaded 10 auto.

You can see the hate on the used gun market. 40 S&W guns always sells for almost 50 to 100 less.

And basically all 10mm you can buy from the big brands in bulk is loaded to 40 specs.

If you ever want to see a man lose his soul, have him shoot his 10mm over your chronograph and then shoot a 40 over it.

40 is a fantastic cartridge, and eventually people will start realizing it again once they're tired of hunting down their 9mm +P++ gee-wiz boutique wonder ammo.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    And basically all 10mm you can buy from the big brands in bulk is loaded to 40 specs.

If you ever want to see a man lose his soul, have him shoot his 10mm over your chronograph and then shoot a 40 over it.
    Yes that stuff has its place, as training ammo

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    I would buy a G22 /Police trade in a heartbeat. 40cal isn't dead, and those 3rd Gen guns will handle it. Owned a couple and no issues. The light issue never bothered me as we had the full size maglites on our belts in a ring. The TWL's that I own don't give issues to the 9mm.
    $260 is a steal.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I would buy a G22 /Police trade in a heartbeat. 40cal isn't dead, and those 3rd Gen guns will handle it. Owned a couple and no issues. The light issue never bothered me as we had the full size maglites on our belts in a ring. The TWL's that I own don't give issues to the 9mm.
    $260 is a steal.
    I have the gen 2, accurate and reliable as a Swiss watch. And no finger grooves.

profjeremy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 30, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I don’t hate .40, I have just preferred either 10mm (faster) or .45+P (fatter) to it. Then there’s 9mm, which is cheaper and easier to find. It’s not that I hate it, it’s just… why?

As for the whole “big brand 10mm = .40 S&W” thing, that’s just not true. I buy 180 grain, 1200 fps big brand ammo all the time. That‘s not .40 S&W level. Of course, the Underwood ammo I buy is 200 grain, 1200 fps or some equivalent of that and I do shoot with that too.

For those concerned about overpenetration, Underwood makes a 10mm, 100 grain, 1825 fps round that dumps all of its energy in the first 12” and ends up in the 14-16” range in gel tests. Rifle type wound channels.

Again, don’t hate .40, but the versatility of 10mm is amazing.

Top Bottom