• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Trying to decide between the Tipton and Kokomo show this weekend. Tipton is a further drive but is it worth it? I've never been to the Tipton show and it's been a couple of years since I went to the Kokomo one. I'm looking primarily for AR parts. I'm also looking for a new bolt action rifle.
    Thanks for the input.
    Dan

jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    I’m going to Kokomo for sure, but would like to go to Tipton as well. There is typically a vendor or two with AR stuff at Kokomo. I enjoy the Tipton show more, but Kokomo is closer for me.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    Never been to either but there's a little Amish store on 31 before you get to Kokomo that I stop at every time I go there. I love there pretzel bread.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Tipton and Kokomo are both small shows that are only 30 minutes driving time apart. Is there a reason you can't do both?

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Well, I am kind of disgusted by the scheduling of these shows. I have to wonder if CIG is not trying to force Pat Coomer out of business. Pat is the organizer (owner?) of the Tipton show and is an independent operator as far as I know. It seems suspicious that the there have been several instances in the last 2 or three years where Lafayette and / or Kokomo shows have been scheduled on the same date.

I like all three shows but tend to favor the little guy when big business leans on them! I may be wrong in my analysis but sure seems shady to me! Its sad to me because I would like to attend both shows but have had problems doing the walking for two days.

Last edited:

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Tipton and Kokomo are both small shows that are only 30 minutes driving time apart. Is there a reason you can't do both?
    Time is the main reason. I usually spend the weekends with the wife and she's not a huge fan of gun shows.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Well, I am kind of disgusted by the scheduling of these shows. I have to wonder if CIG is not trying to force Pat Coomer out of business. Pat is the organizer (owner?) of the Tipton show and is an independent operator as far as I know. It seems suspicious that the there have been several instances in the last 2 or three years where Lafayette and / or Kokomo shows have been scheduled on the same date.

I like all three shows but tend to favor the little guy when big business leans on them! I may be wrong in my analysis but sure seems shady to me! Its sad to me because I would like to attend both shows but have had problems doing the walking for two days.

I've always wondered about how they actually schedule the events. I can only presume they try to repeat last years schedule. I imagine the event centers have a lot of say so in the dates too. Do the promoters have access to other schedules different than we do?
    The promoters I've met seem to have an attitude that people will flock to theirs and forget the others.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Kokomo would be your best bet for AR parts, the Tipton show is mostly "older" stuff. If it tells you anything I live in Tipton and have not gone to the Tipton show in a couple years.

other dave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Howard County
    I've always wondered about how they actually schedule the events. I can only presume they try to repeat last years schedule. I imagine the event centers have a lot of say so in the dates too. Do the promoters have access to other schedules different than we do?
    The promoters I've met seem to have an attitude that people will flock to theirs and forget the others.
    First let me say that I am not a promoter or paid by a promoter. I am just an INGO member who posts shows as do other INGO members.
    Part of the problem is the Fair boards any other venue operators .
    Some require you to do a certain number of shows per year or they'll give your dates to other promoters.
    A lot of the shows in 2018 were booked in 2017.
    Sometimes available weekends are limited so you take what you can get.
    There are other events that book the same weekend(s) annually in advance.
    I know of no source for other promoters dates other than the ones available to the general public

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Awhile back I went to Alexandria's and Tipton's on the same day. Alec was ASLEEP. Tipton was hopping! I don't think anyone's forcing that guy out anytime soon. If you haven't been in a few years, I recommend it.
    Now Kokomo I haven't been to in several years. The last time I went it was pretty sleepy too. But that was several years ago.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.

First let me say that I am not a promoter or paid by a promoter. I am just an INGO member who posts shows as do other INGO members.
    Part of the problem is the Fair boards any other venue operators .
    Some require you to do a certain number of shows per year or they'll give your dates to other promoters.
    A lot of the shows in 2018 were booked in 2017.
    Sometimes available weekends are limited so you take what you can get.
    There are other events that book the same weekend(s) annually in advance.
    I know of no source for other promoters dates other than the ones available to the general public

As stated above by "other dave", venue availability is a lot of the problem along with the other reasons he has listed. I'm not sure why you would consider CIG "big business". it's an independent operator just like the promoter of the Tipton show. Also, over the years, CIG consistently releases their show schedules before any other promoter in this state. So, if any one is purposely booking over another show.......it's not CIG. :twocents:

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Both shows are good for a quick spin around the tables and see what is for sale. The aisles at both are fairly wide and easy to maneuver. Kokomo will have more AR parts and newer firearms. Tipton is good for older collectible firearms and unique items that you do not see at any other show. Also seems easier to banter back and forth on prices at Tipton.

If you can, hit both shows early,and then enjoy the afternoon with your wife.

BluePig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Middlebury
    Kokomo really hasn't impressed me the last two times I have been there.
    The venue is nice, but it just didn't bring in the dealers.
    For about the same distance drive, I can go to Lansing which is a much better show.
    I would rate it about as good as Valpo.

Top Bottom