• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    IMO, both shows are so small as to be a waste of time and money unless one is looking for antiques. For modern stuff or parts, time is better spent at local stores or online.

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    As stated above by "other dave", venue availability is a lot of the problem along with the other reasons he has listed. I'm not sure why you would consider CIG "big business". it's an independent operator just like the promoter of the Tipton show. Also, over the years, CIG consistently releases their show schedules before any other promoter in this state. So, if any one is purposely booking over another show.......it's not CIG. :twocents:
    Absolutely correct. CIG dates are always released before Tipton. To me it seems that Pat is either intentionally booking over CIG shows, or is really ignorant of what is going on. It's certainly possible that he just doesn't pay any attention (he didn't even realize that he forgot to renew the hosting fees for his website.) If he is doing it intentionally (and I suspect that he is), he is hurting everyone. I know he is making a lot of enemies doing it, intentional or not. One thing I can say for sure is that the Tipton show is in fact being booked over CIG shows, I just can't say for sure that it is intentional.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    It's looking like I'll hit Tipton then Kokomo on Saturday. Bringing a couple of new guns to try and trade.

Jagermeister

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2018
    Shelby
    We have been to the Gun Show at Elkhart several times. Don't know the name of the show, but pretty good for a smaller show. Never left there empty handed.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Went to Tipton and was very disappointed. The selection was minimal an sparse. There seemed to be a lot of flea market items. Headed to Kokomo to check it out.

Crusader17

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2017
    Miami County
    Just came back from Tipton today, very pleased with the show. My first time going to Tipton, I went to Kokomo about two years ago and was disappointed.

At Tipton today they had a lot of what I like, revolvers, 1911s, TBH I don't pay attention to ARs, so if you want AR stuff you may feel underwhelmed. But plenty of revolvers, old and new, at all price points. Mostly used guns, not gun shops with stacks of new guns.

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    Went to Tipton and was very disappointed. The selection was minimal an sparse. There seemed to be a lot of flea market items. Headed to Kokomo to check it out.

Good luck, I did exactly the same thing. Hit Tipton a few minutes after they opened and after about an hour of wandering around skipped over to Kokomo. I didn't think Tipton was bad, but I've been there a dozen times over the years and the stuff you find there is more in my line of interest. Kokomo otoh is something I will avoid in the future. It's more like an indoor flea market that allows the display of firearms rather than an actual gun show. Seriously, a full quarter of the show was devoted to tin signage and if you were searching for a bamboo pillow you were in the right place. Other than that it was a carbon copy of Crown Point,....same dealers,....same stuff,....another show that I've seen for the last time. Had I realized it was a CIG show I wouldn't have even bothered to stop even though it was on the way home. Three hours driving to and from probably takes Tipton out of the rotation as well. Man I miss Nappanee.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Good luck, I did exactly the same thing. Hit Tipton a few minutes after they opened and after about an hour of wandering around skipped over to Kokomo. I didn't think Tipton was bad, but I've been there a dozen times over the years and the stuff you find there is more in my line of interest. Kokomo otoh is something I will avoid in the future. It's more like an indoor flea market that allows the display of firearms rather than an actual gun show. Seriously, a full quarter of the show was devoted to tin signage and if you were searching for a bamboo pillow you were in the right place. Other than that it was a carbon copy of Crown Point,....same dealers,....same stuff,....another show that I've seen for the last time. Had I realized it was a CIG show I wouldn't have even bothered to stop even though it was on the way home. Three hours driving to and from probably takes Tipton out of the rotation as well. Man I miss Nappanee.

I wasn't impressed with Kokomo too. Lots of the same stuff as Tipton. I saw some reloading items including a table full of powder but overall it was meh. I'll not waste my time and gas on either show again. Putting them on the same days is killing them but they don't either realize it or want to be the first one to "blink" and move their date. I get the feeling both promoters are rather stubborn. Someone who knows both of them needs to get them together and have them work this out before 2019 comes around.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Saw some good deals on used S&W revolvers. Example - 4" S&W Model 10 Heavy Barrel for $325 and was open to offers. Also saw cheap prices on shotgun parts and some reloading supplies. Lots of antique firearms. Saw multiple 30/40 Krags, 1903 Springfields and a multitude of lever actions. Noticed that SKS prices have gotten into the $400-450 range. Picked up 1000 lead 38 caliber bullets and some .22 LR dummy rounds.

Planning on stopping by the Kokomo show on Sunday afternoon.

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    I wasn't impressed with Kokomo too. Lots of the same stuff as Tipton. I saw some reloading items including a table full of powder but overall it was meh. I'll not waste my time and gas on either show again. Putting them on the same days is killing them but they don't either realize it or want to be the first one to "blink" and move their date. I get the feeling both promoters are rather stubborn. Someone who knows both of them needs to get them together and have them work this out before 2019 comes around.
    Since CIG does 50 shows per year, it's difficult to change dates that are booked over a year in advance. Due to many other scheduling issues with other venues, it's practically impossible to change one date without changing several others. Changing dates is only done as a last resort. Once a date is published, customers will show up even if it's been changed (and they aren't happy about it). I know a dealer that drove around 4 hours to go to a show in the wrong city when the date was changed 6 months in advance and he was called by the promoter to inform him of the change. As far as I know, the Tipton promoter only does 4 shows per year and apparently thinks it's good business to book it over Kokomo, Lafayette and sometimes Muncie once the CIG schedule is published. He is hurting everyone, including himself. In my opinion, Pat will be done promoting Tipton within 2 years.

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    As a side note, Pat attends several CIG shows trolling for vendors so he has plenty of opportunities to discuss scheduling issues with Danny if he is so inclined.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Since CIG does 50 shows per year, it's difficult to change dates that are booked over a year in advance. Due to many other scheduling issues with other venues, it's practically impossible to change one date without changing several others. Changing dates is only done as a last resort. Once a date is published, customers will show up even if it's been changed (and they aren't happy about it). I know a dealer that drove around 4 hours to go to a show in the wrong city when the date was changed 6 months in advance and he was called by the promoter to inform him of the change. As far as I know, the Tipton promoter only does 4 shows per year and apparently thinks it's good business to book it over Kokomo, Lafayette and sometimes Muncie once the CIG schedule is published. He is hurting everyone, including himself. In my opinion, Pat will be done promoting Tipton within 2 years.

As a side note, Pat attends several CIG shows trolling for vendors so he has plenty of opportunities to discuss scheduling issues with Danny if he is so inclined.

Sadly that's 2 years of both shows sliding downhill and losing vendors and customers. Between the two Kokomo was much better. Even the facility was better as the Tipton one was rather dark.

Curious why Danny can't approach Pat? This is where the stubbornness comes in. We as customers suffer because either they really don't see the problem or just want to think the other guy will eventually go away and they will be victorious.

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    Sadly that's 2 years of both shows sliding downhill and losing vendors and customers. Between the two Kokomo was much better. Even the facility was better as the Tipton one was rather dark.

Curious why Danny can't approach Pat? This is where the stubbornness comes in. We as customers suffer because either they really don't see the problem or just want to think the other guy will eventually go away and they will be victorious.
    I suppose he could try, but I don't think it would make much difference. Pat is known among many people for shady behavior. He approached me personally when he started promoting Tipton and tried to convince me to rent tables at his show on a weekend that CIG also had a show. He knew for a fact that I follow CIG shows exclusively and was basically trying to steal vendors from CIG. That was the last time he spoke to me and that was years ago. I know of other vendors that he has approached as recently as a year ago.
    Obviously I have personal interest in CIG being a successful enterprise. Not only do I follow practically every CIG show as a vendor, I also hold an exclusive rental contract for all tables and chairs needed by CIG. That being said, I don't think competition is a bad thing. I do however take exception to the business practices that Pat employs. I've known Pat and Danny both for around 20 years and they have probably known each other longer than that. I could be wrong, but I don't think they will be able to come to any sort of compromise. I promoted gun shows in Kentucky years ago and if another promoter was doing to me what Pat is doing to CIG, I would not be inclined to make concessions, I would put them out of business. :twocents:

dekeshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Bunker Hill
    I went to both shows today and all I got for my $10 was a red stamp and a blue stamp on my hand.

This.

It you you could have combined the firearms, ammo, reloading supplies and shooting accessories from both shows and made one really decent show. But that would mean all the flea market vendors would have to find an abandoned gas station lt to peddle their wares in.

There are IMHO way too many gun shows in Indiana right now. Market over saturation is why there is so much crap not related to the hobby at gun shows nowadays. I guess promoters have to sell tables to whoever they can since there obviously aren't enough firearms and accessories dealers to fill all the shows that go on around the state.

I've been attending shows for over 35 years, and I think I'm done with them with the exception of maybe a 1500 once a year. There are fewer good deals walking around and it's getting harder and harder to sell at these smaller shows. Many of the vendors are dragging the same merchandise around for the last 2-3 years and can't figure out why it doesn't move at the Obama panic era prices that it listed for.

The $10 I spent today was $5 too much.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    I've seen that same Colt American 2000 for the last two years. I talked to that vendor and he said I'm the only one that has ever expressed any interest in it.

I said "I'll be honest with you, I'm only interested because is a Colt and it is such a crap gun."

But $800 is too much for a crap gun.

jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    I ended up going to both shows. Really enjoyed Tipton except for the sketchy looking people. Kokomo was very disappointing this time around. I guess if you like $10 knives and pillows then it was probably good for you. Went to Roby’s and picked up a grip for my AR that no one had at either show. Got to spend time with a friend who I don’t get to see much, so it ended up being a good day overall.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    I went to the Tipton today. I purchased a Lee Enfield rifle from Highland Firearms. It was my second time going to this show, I will definitely attend more in the future. It is my third favorite in the state, next to Valparaiso and the 1500. I did not see any sketchy people, everyone I came across was friendly. I went to Kokomo once and I was not impressed

Top Bottom