Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    It you you could have combined the firearms, ammo, reloading supplies and shooting accessories from both shows and made one really decent show. But that would mean all the flea market vendors would have to find an abandoned gas station lt to peddle their wares in.

There are IMHO way too many gun shows in Indiana right now. Market over saturation is why there is so much crap not related to the hobby at gun shows nowadays. I guess promoters have to sell tables to whoever they can since there obviously aren't enough firearms and accessories dealers to fill all the shows that go on around the state.
    You are correct, there are way too many shows in Indiana. I know of at least two vendors at Kokomo that said they would have gone to Tipton had it been scheduled last weekend when CIG was in Princeton. Back in the 90's, I often did two shows on the same weekend but the market won't currently support that kind of overhead for me. There are several dealers that have gone out of business in recent months. Add that to the fact that we now have over a dozen promoters in Indiana and the quality of shows is suffering.
    A lot of shows 10 or 20 years ago were actually smaller by table count, but they were 95% gun related items. Kokomo was only around 60 to 80 tables when I was doing shows there with DaCon Promotions. It's around 200 tables now and has been as big as 325 in the past. I remember when Muncie was barely 100 tables when Bertha had it. I could drive through the building to my tables. The first CIG show there was 230 tables and people were complaining that it was too crowded. At one time, Crown Point was around 100 tables. CIG has been able to consistently keep table counts of 300-350 there in recent years. I sometimes laugh to myself when I hear people complain about a low table count and I think, they should have seen the show 15 years ago!
    I always try to primarily sell firearm related items, knives and military surplus. The reason I have diversified into more and more unrelated items in recent years is the simple fact that they sell (often better than "gun related items"). Dealers are there to make money. The market changes. I would prefer that gun shows were filled primarily with related items but sometimes I can make more money selling fidget spinners than magazines and ammunition. If I can sell 100 fidget spinners in 2 days I'd be stupid not to put them on the table.
    I also think part of the problem is that the internet has killed the nice profit margins of shows in years past. Online customers can often make purchases at near wholesale prices if they know where to look. I certainly don't blame them, but it makes it difficult for a vendor with $1,500 in weekend operating costs to make a living. Many customers don't realize what is involved in setting up at a gun show. In my lifetime, I've lived in Lake County alone for over a year in hotel rooms, one weekend at a time. Many vendors spend Thursday prepping and loading, Friday traveling and setting up, Saturday and Sunday at the show and packing up and then Monday recovering from a long weekend (some of these guys even have real jobs during the week). I've always enjoyed it, but it's sometimes frustrating to lose a sale because they can buy something $2 cheaper online from a warehouse that doesn't even have the cost of a storefront. That's the nature of capitalism, but it forces vendors to adapt and sell different items or go out of business.
    Sorry for the long rant.
    Suffice it to say that I believe there are many different factors influencing the current trend.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Will be leaving for Tipton within the hour. I will purchase the stamp. Most likely nothing else.
    Mid I see a real deal I will get it. Of late Tipton has produced so nice quality old Weaver scopes for a few vintage rifles I have and I hope that old guy is there with some more pull offs from his collection. His stories of using those scopes was worth at least a dollar off admission. Seems he traveled a lot hunting long ago.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Absolutely correct. CIG dates are always released before Tipton. To me it seems that Pat is either intentionally booking over CIG shows, or is really ignorant of what is going on. It's certainly possible that he just doesn't pay any attention (he didn't even realize that he forgot to renew the hosting fees for his website.) If he is doing it intentionally (and I suspect that he is), he is hurting everyone. I know he is making a lot of enemies doing it, intentional or not. One thing I can say for sure is that the Tipton show is in fact being booked over CIG shows, I just can't say for sure that it is intentional.

Thanks for the information, I apparently was wrong in my assessment. I have always liked the CIG shows as well as the Tipton shows. Hope there is some resolution over the scheduling, as it turned out Son and I did attend the Kokomo show as we wanted to pick up some Grendel AR parts. Unfortunately neither of the usual vendors of AR part were at the show. I assumed the CIG was a much bigger organization than it seems to be per the discussions above.

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    Thanks for the information, I apparently was wrong in my assessment. I have always liked the CIG shows as well as the Tipton shows. Hope there is some resolution over the scheduling, as it turned out Son and I did attend the Kokomo show as we wanted to pick up some Grendel AR parts. Unfortunately neither of the usual vendors of AR part were at the show. I assumed the CIG was a much bigger organization than it seems to be per the discussions above.

The guys from Apache Arms with 12 tables of AR parts and uppers cancelled on Friday, apparently Charles has the flu.

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    That sucks. I like dealing with them. They were one of the dealers I was looking for.
    Yeah, it really sucks when someone cancels at the last minute, especially with that many tables. I set up the tables on Thursday so I had to completely redo the layout. It also sucks for the promoter who already ordered and paid for tables. While I understand that sometimes things happen that force a cancellation, some vendors are less dedicated than others. So far, I've never missed a show that I was booked for in the 20+ years I've been doing this. At least Charles had the courtesy to call, some vendors book the show and just don't show up.

Top Bottom