Where would you shoot a bad guy in self defense?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    So I'm curious. You're in a situation where you have to defend yourself. Either in your home, on the street, wherever. You pull out your gun, and you shoot the bad guy. Where do you aim for? Do you aim for the head, and take him down with one shot? Or would you aim for the chest, knowing that if you aim high or low, you still get him? You aim for the head, theres a good chance you'll miss, by aiming too low, high, left, right...
    Just curious on other people's thoughts.

Me, I'd aim for the chest. Bigger target. Or I may decide to get a little fancy and aim for his Eggroll. Making him sing falsetto for a very long time :D

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    "A man has to know his limitations" I think Josey Wales said that.
    If Im close, and its important to take him out quick, its a head shot if I have it. I know what I can do with my Glock at close range
    Just because you shoot them in the chest, they dont go down right away like the movies show. If your not sure, shoot a deer in the lungs and watch him sprint for 250 yards. I have seen them run close to 100 yards with a heart shot.
    Just my opinion

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    Whatever piece of bone or meat he presents me, is the factual answer.

Hypothetically, the thorax, and ideally, the brainstem.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Every instructor I've trained with has taught high center of mass (HCOM), with the ocular window (brain) or pelvic girdle as a secondary/specialized aiming point. If none of those are available, shoot what you can see. In any event, deliver multiple rounds quickly, until the threat is no longer present. :yesway:

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    BoomHeadShot.gif

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I'm gonna empty 8 magazines no matter what.

(I can't use purple from my iPhone)

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Every instructor I've trained with has taught high center of mass (HCOM), with the ocular window (brain) or pelvic girdle as a secondary/specialized aiming point. If none of those are available, shoot what you can see. In any event, deliver multiple rounds quickly, until the threat is no longer present. :yesway:
    This one. Where? Wherever you can, if it is in fact self-defense. And shoot 'em to the ground.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    "A man has to know his limitations" I think Josey Wales said that.

Right actor, Clint Eastwood, different movie.
    It was in Magnum Force, second in the Dirty Harry series. Inspector Callahan is speaking to his boss, Hal Holbrook, just before the boss' car blows up in the final scene. :D

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Where do you aim for?

Within the citizen self-defense context - These situations are so stressful and dynamic for most folks (lots of movement on both sides), anything other than COM makes no sense. Even then, most shots fired in such situations miss completely. Aiming for extremities is almost a guaranteed miss (and you don't want to just send rounds off into the wild blue yonder, that'd be unsafe ;)).

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    Center of mass of the available target. Usually that means chest, somewhere in the neighborhood of the sternum. If he's firing from behind a door, that might mean shoulder. If he's ducking behind concealment that might mean head. I'm looking for the biggest piece of real estate I can find for my target.

stanicus

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 13, 2009
    Noblesville
    I practice triple tap. 2 in the chest and 1 in the head. I cant say for certain thats what I would do in the heat of the moment, but its what I practice.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    Within the citizen self-defense context - These situations are so stressful and dynamic for most folks (lots of movement on both sides), anything other than COM makes no sense. Even then, most shots fired in such situations miss completely. Aiming for extremities is almost a guaranteed miss (and you don't want to just send rounds off into the wild blue yonder, that'd be unsafe ;)).
    +1
    We can all sit here and say "I'll hit them right in the heart, and when the next guy grabs an innocent bystander and uses them as a shield Ill shoot them between the eyes..." However, from hearing/reading what people who have been in actual shoot situations it is quite clear that conscious, careful, and deliberate aiming is unlikely, if not impossible. You are going to be pointing the business end at the threat and pulling the trigger as fast as possible until the threat is gone. If you're lucky enough to hit them center of mass, or in the head then +1 to you.
    Thats not to say that a situation won't provide you with time/space to take aim and concentrate on the front sight (say stopping a robbery for instance). If that was the case, then as others have said, COM is where to aim.

STAG556

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Indy
    Originally posted by: stanicus
    I practice triple tap. 2 in the chest and 1 in the head. I cant say for certain thats what I would do in the heat of the moment, but its what I practice.

+1 for the Failure drill, two to the chest and one to the head. I'm confident that God and the 147 gr JHP's will take care of the rest.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom