Where would you shoot a bad guy in self defense?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Center of mass

Center mass

Every instructor I've trained with has taught high center of mass

Center mass

Center of mass of the available target.

COM is where to aim.

Center mass

center mass.

This ^.

COM, if such a shot is available. If not, I shoot at what I can see.
    COM doesn't mean specifically "chest" or "torso"...it's the middle of whatever is presenting itself. If "what you can see" is masked head peeking partly around a door and you are shooting at it...That is still COM. :)

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    Q: Where would you shoot a bad guy in self defense?

A: Where he stands!!!

That being said you want to train to shoot center of mass.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Don't forget, most household doors you can also shoot through, and modern JHPs are designed to function well even after passing through an intermediate barrier. If you can see an arm or head, you've got a pretty good idea where the rest is.

Chow40cal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    Olympia
    I was trained to double tap in the chest, with a fail safe in the head to follow. When the heat is on, you fall back on your training, or you'll soon find that you should have been training more.

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    Don't forget, most household doors you can also shoot through, and modern JHPs are designed to function well even after passing through an intermediate barrier. If you can see an arm or head, you've got a pretty good idea where the rest is.
    I'm not comfortable with this as a general rule. There are certain circumstances I might try to engage through concealment such as furniture or curtains, but it doesn't take much imagination to envision a BG engaging around a doorframe with one hand and holding a hostage out of sight with the other. Additionally, ballistics are somewhat unpredictable. I know that a bullet will penetrate drywall in a relatively straight line, but what if it hits a stud or conduit on the way through, or is deflected by an odd grain in a door? As much as can reasonably be expected in a firefight I want to know my target and where the round is going to go before I pull the trigger.

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    I do like the confidence I'm reading here!

If one chooses to believe that "two to the chest, one to the head" is something that can be practically applied to reality, then hooray for the good guys, and I hope it goes that way for all who practice it - Seriously!

Personally, I'm not good enough to hit a bobbing brainstem running 15mph right for me. I also don't believe that in the heat of a knife attack I'll have any chance to "assess" the effect of those first two shots to the chest before I'm being sliced and diced by Captain Methhead.

I do, however, understand that when these thing happen, EVERYTHING is in motion, and I don't pretend for one second that punching cute holes in a piece of static paper prepares me for the reality of a gunfight.

RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    I agree to COM of whatever is available, trigger trigger trigger until I'm out of ammo or they stop whatever the threatening action is.

Just my opinion...

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Center mass just like I was trained. If two to the chest does not stop him. then one to the head. Taking a head shot right off the bat is a bad idea. You have a much better chance of missing. Also if there are witnesses, they might say the guy just poped one in his head right off the bat.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    10°17'42.48"N 85°5
    BoomHeadShot.gif

That guy is NUTZ!!!!! I don't know how many time I watched that clip. He definately has a lot of energy. He would make a cool neighbor.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I was taught Center of Mass.
    I was specifically taught NOT to aim at extremities or attempt to wound the attacker. It would imply that you did not believe the attack was life-threatening. If the attack wasn't life-threatening, you had no reason to shoot.

Doug

Top Bottom