• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    The first time I called them a few years ago we had the same misunderstanding. They thought I was asking about their welfare center instead of their food storage center. When you do go, ask for the facility tour.

I've not been there in a while for bulk items (5 years ago maybe), and I'm not sure if they even have the bulk items anymore, but I do know they don't let anyone do bulk canning or packaging at the storehouse anymore. I did all my canning at home that trip.
    As of a couple weeks ago they had all the bulk items available. They also have mylar sealers and #10 can sealers available to check out to do things at home.

For payment they accept cash or check. No credit cards.

I haven't tried all of their products, but:
    * The wheat is wheat. They have red and white wheats available, so buy whichever you prefer. Be sure you have a good grinder or alternate plans to use this stuff (boiling, sprouting, etc).
    * I haven't tried the beans I bought, but they appear to be pretty straightforward beans of several varieties. Do note that (at least in the bulk pack form) they have the odd rock and small clumps of dirt. When you use them, be sure to rinse them well (which you'd probably do anyway as part of the preparation process).
    * The powdered milk is remarkably good for the price.
    * Pasta is pasta.
    * Their dried apples are fantastic. Pricey to get the big box, but you get a lot and they are good to eat on their own to say nothing of their usefulness in cooking. If they offer this in small cans at some point I'll jump all over it.
    * Their hot cocoa is better than most other mixes.
    * Their fruit drink mix is okay. I'd typically prefer regular water, but if my water tasted a little funny because of the purification process or something, a little pseudotang and it'd make it easier to drink.

There is absolutely no reason to not go. The people who volunteer there are very encouraging of using their resources to prepare - whether you are of the same faith or not.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    What cordex said... also - understand that Mormons have a volunteer lay ministry (entirely). So if you're talking to a local leader (like the Bishop mentioned above) , he's probably a cop or accountant or programmer or something in addition to serving the local congregation. I can speak from experience that this results in two things: 1) He may not know the whole story about every aspect of what's going on 2) He may have been up very late the night before counseling with someone having some big issues in their life or something and have to go to work the next day - so he may well be tired and not thinking straight! Both of these issues - or the sum of them , rather - lead to the misunderstandings that folks have referenced. Cordex, kludge, et al above have it right. They do not can stuff there any more - as that is not cost effective (and I'm sure that lawyerball got it there somewhere too...). The place is designed first to provide for the needy and second, to help people prepare. And it is NOT a for profit operation. There are some things that you can do cheaper via Sams Club , due to their massive scale. But most will be cheaper via the Mormon storehouse.Do take the tour if you go. This facility is also where local leaders of the church can get help from in disasters. I was involved in the response (along with people of all faiths and persuasions) to the tornadoes that ripped through Washington County and Henryville a year and a half ago. We were on the phone and truckloads of supplies arrived from that facility every day and were delivered to the sites where it was needed.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Wanted to bring this back to the top. I was in last week and they informed me that the #10 can Apple Slices, Non Fat Dry Milk, Spaghetti, and Macaroni are in house but will not be for sale until November 2nd. They have been waiting about a year for them and they will be out for sale soon. FYI :yesway:

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Wanted to bring this back to the top. I was in last week and they informed me that the #10 can Apple Slices, Non Fat Dry Milk, Spaghetti, and Macaroni are in house but will not be for sale until November 2nd. They have been waiting about a year for them and they will be out for sale soon. FYI :yesway:
    Awesome, thanks for the info.

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    I haven't tried ordering online, but the local prices are much better if you can make it there.

roisigns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Oct 5, 2011
    cincy
    Visited their store in Indy today. Nice folks! Many items are packaged for 20 or 30 year shelf life. Prices were about twice what Walmart sells in plastic bags.

Top Bottom