Where do you meet up when selling a firearm??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    I've only bought one firearm from an individual. the transaction was made in the parking lot at the shooting range, mostly out of convenience, but It sure seemed to me that it is a great place to do this.
    You can try out the purchase before or after the money is exchanged, if both parties agree, and the frightened soccer moms don't go near those places.(the soccer moms who are not frightened are probably on the range shooting. :): )

On the other subject, a copy of a bill of sale that includes a proper description, condition, and selling price, in the hands of both parties, makes good business sense.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I met two people for separate trades at a place on the south side of indy one of which was IMPD. He let me know that I might want to find a different place to meet up in the future because of illegal activity at that location. The IMPD were watching the place. Even though both trades were on the up and up I didn't want to have to explain what I was doing nor would I want to get in the way of any investigations.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    So you've never bought a used car from someone you didn't know...or off the interwebs? On the bill of sale/title transfer for a car you have to put not only your name and signature, but your address as well. I'm not asking for an address, I could care less where you live...I just want your name. If you want what I am selling but don't want to sign a piece of paper then move on. I'll sell to someone else. I don't have to sell it to you because the state of Indiana thinks you are a proper person. Just like you don't have to buy from me if you don't like my stance on a bill of sale. There are plenty of people with less than 50 posts on INGO that are 'proper' but according to the rules set forth by Fenway, they can't buy my gun that I have listed for sale here (I don't list guns anywhere else, so they don't have the option to contact me outside of INGO)

Yup, I've sold a vehicle w/o a bill of sale. I simply transferred the title.

You want your BoS, fine. But, please, don't imply the rest of us are scofflaws or somehow inferior you because we don't. Jagee, do you give receipts when selling?

Why do all of these threads have to get a big BoS argument? DDadams, do an INGO search. ATM and others have gone round and round on this. The important part is that a bill of sale is for the seller, a receipt is for a buyer.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Just stand outside while people are driving by / walking around?
    That's the point.

Wouldn't that raise the attention of gun grabbers and people who hate guns?
    So? Embarrassed? No one much cares. It is Indiana after all.

I mean, I know that we're allowed to open carry, but what if someone called the cops freaking out because "someone has a gun in the parking lot and is going to shoot someone! help!"

I can't imagine that would end perfectly well.
    I can. "Hello gentlemen, we received a phone call from a 'concerned citizen' and I have to waste my time 'investigating'. What are you selling? I'll take it if he doesn't."

Besides, most people are capable of determining a lawful exchange of a firearm and potential robbery.

I don't get into any strange car unless it's a Miata parked in a dark corner of a wooded park and the driver looks like iChokePeople.

PS - As for paperwork, I only do it when REQUIRED by the ATF as part of my FFL03. The people that demand them are usually paranoid about all sorts of hypothetical situations. :stickpoke:

HamYankee

Expert
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Jan 24, 2014
    Hendricks County
    I've met at night before in an OK lit parking lot, but afterward I didn't feel like it was wise. If someone can't wait or find time to meet during a mutually agreeable time during the day, it isn't worth it for me. Never at a home.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    Most of the parking lots that I've done deals in have been Lowe's, Home Depot, Walmart, Walgreen's, Burger King, etc...
    ...of the numerous transactions that I've been a part of over the last few years...I allowed for 2 to happen at my home.
    On both occasions they were guys that I had met before and done gun trades with prior. After a while, both of these
    guys became friends of mine. Most of the time, In my experience, I've met really good people when doing gun sales/trades.

OIIIIIO

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    I prefer Walmart parking lots or Speedway gas stations. Both have a lot of traffic and video surveillance on their lots as a piece of mind factor. But with that being said I have never had a bad interaction with an INGOer.....

^^^^^ This

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    If you suspect the seller is dealing in stolen goods why are you dealing with them?

Jarts...I loved Jarts...and no one got hurt.

Jarts don't hurt people. People hurt people. :):

Okay SO when I list this I'm pretty sure all of you would be comfortable meeting in a parking lot.

I'd bring a buddy, and obviously, you would get in my passenger seat to inspect it, etc?

Is it normal or would it offend someone if I had a firearm bill of sale with me to be filled out?

I'll probably put that on the ad when I list that I'd feel more comfortable knowing that I had some kind of paper trail saying I didn't own the gun any more.

I'm neither getting in the car with someone I don't know, nor am I having them get in my car. Usually a trunk of the car provides enough "cover".

Just stand outside while people are driving by / walking around?

Wouldn't that raise the attention of gun grabbers and people who hate guns?

I mean, I know that we're allowed to open carry, but what if someone called the cops freaking out because "someone has a gun in the parking lot and is going to shoot someone! help!"

I can't imagine that would end perfectly well.

Don't know, but I did sell to a County Sheriff's Deputy once in a parking lot outside, and no one seemed to get upset about it. :dunno:

If you want a bill of sale, ask for one -- just be clear about it in the negotiations. There's nothing BAD about it, you just need to understand that you'll reduce your buyer pool to some extent.

This. If you as the seller want it, state that in your ad, with what all info you are expecting to record, etc. Do NOT bring that up as a condition of sale after the negotiation is done and you setup the meet time. It needs to be in the ad, IMO.

Top Bottom