Where do you meet up when selling a firearm??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Oh yeah^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    ^^^ be very careful meeting churchmouse! Good conversation is sure to follow :):

Who I'm meeting and their track record has a lot to do with where and when I meet. If I have any doubts I'll meet them with some backup just in case.
    ive met ingo members in the middle of the night. I use to work at night so I know how much it can suck to feel like your missing out on everything. I always tell someone where I'm going and call when I'm done.

for me I not only worry about personal security but I also do not want to buy a stole gun. Or sell a gun to a criminal. Follow your gut. Don't be afraid to walk away.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Either the parking lot of a Lowes or Menards (wide open and higher percentage of gun friendly people vs other places) or at a shooting range.

9x18

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2013
    Central Florida
    Public area, gas stations where there is possible video surveillance. LGS. I would talk with the person get the feel of him/her first. Never be afraid to cancel the deal if you suspect something. Make sure though if public enough, but not where if someone sees you will freak out and call the cops.

Simple Ed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Kosciusko County
    Like DDadams I can't do business yet, but if I could I still have questions.

1. how would it be to my advantage as buyer or seller to have FFL do the paperwork?

2. Do I risk buying a stolen gun? (Or is that answered in question 1?)

scootn103

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    I end up making that decision with the buyer or seller , try to get somewhere in between to save driving , daytime in a public place , if you require a bill of sale to be filled out have your portion done when you show up . Most busy public places record everything in the parking lot so you have a sense of security .
    Good luck in your adventures

vitamink > im not meeting you on a futon.. i read that and cracked up laughing..

strokin7.3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Hancock County
    Back alleys in Chicago...

In reality I've met in a bunch of gas stations, a few fast food joints, and a couple home improvement stores. Those seem to be the most popular places and they seem to be the safest for both parties involved.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Like DDadams I can't do business yet, but if I could I still have questions.

1. how would it be to my advantage as buyer or seller to have FFL do the paperwork?
    As a buyer, it gives a warm, fuzzy feeling you made Obama happy. As a seller, there's a degree of assurance that there's a paper trail of the gun being sold and the buyer is approved by the gestapo.

2. Do I risk buying a stolen gun? (Or is that answered in question 1?)
    Do you suspect the gun of being stolen? Do you suspect other things you buy (e.g. Craigslist items) of being stolen? The F4473 (filled out at the dealer's) won't do anything - the dealer doesn't even give the SN over the phone. If you really want to prove it's not stolen, then the police can check that out.

Buying a gun should be no more complicated than buying a set of Jarts from Craigslist. There's only two rules:
    1. Buyer and seller must be IN residents.
    2. Seller cannot KNOW the buyer is NOT a proper person.

Did you see what I did there? The seller doesn't have to PROVE the buyer is a proper person, they just cannot have any knowledge they are improper. This has actually been a sticking point in ATF stings - they had to actually inform the seller first that the buyer was a felon, because selling to a felon isn't illegal - selling to a KNOWN felon is.

Where do I meet? Big box parking lots, mostly. But, I prefer dead drops at a school playground. Leave the money in a envelop under the merry-go-round and I'll leave a note in chalk as to where I hid the gun for you. That way there's no human interaction.

Simple Ed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Kosciusko County
    So, the FFL paperwork is just so I can sleep better at night? And, then, I gather that the reason folks exchange i.d.s and document the deal is in case something goes down where the gun's owner could be scrutinized, the seller can show that the gun is not his anymore? (Sorry for the newbee questions. If there's a dark corner in this site where this stuff is spelled out, please direct me.)

kiddchaos

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Somewhere with lots of people and security cameras in a decent part of town.
    I always talk on the cell first to that person. I ask for a flash of an IN DL and LTCH (if applicable).
    I relay the info of who (cell#) what when where to my friend, in case.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    You mean you people actually SELL weapons you own!?! ;)

I've never 'done business' with someone I didn't know so it's usually over a kitchen table. And it's usually to BUY something.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Do you suspect the gun of being stolen? Do you suspect other things you buy (e.g. Craigslist items) of being stolen? The F4473 (filled out at the dealer's) won't do anything - the dealer doesn't even give the SN over the phone. If you really want to prove it's not stolen, then the police can check that out.

Buying a gun should be no more complicated than buying a set of Jarts from Craigslist. There's only two rules:
    1. Buyer and seller must be IN residents.
    2. Seller cannot KNOW the buyer is NOT a proper person.

If you suspect the seller is dealing in stolen goods why are you dealing with them?

Jarts...I loved Jarts...and no one got hurt.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Sin-city Tokyo
    Where? In the terminal lobby of the Terre Haute airport right in front of two cops, silly buns! Where else does one go to get a decent deal on a new-in-the-box AR-15??!? :dunno: :scratch: :dunno:

(The above is a 100% TRUE story, but took place in the late 1980's before the viral outbreak of The Stupid swept across the land and made people think it would be a good idea to put a pathologically lying coward from Arkansas in the White House...)

Top Bottom