When you're browsing the classifieds for guns, which brands/ types do you ignore?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Well.
    While I put it on there it never showed.
    Some laughing faces.
    It was supposed to be a joke.
    I thought I detected sarcasm but wasn't sure with you being a newb and all.
    Someone recently posted on here a class - 005 Sarcasm as a Second Language, maybe I need to brush up.
    Also, all humor is rooted in truth.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I don't hunt, so none of that interests me.
    No "custom" work like stippling.
    There could be some exceptions to custom work if I know it was done by someone competent.
    No "built" AR's, unless again it is someone that knows what they are doing.

As far as handguns go, I'm interested in a variety of them.
    I don't like cheap stuff like Kel-tec or High Point or the Taurus semi-auto's.
    The older Ruger semi-auto's are big and clunky, I don't like those either.

I do like the polymer framed striker fired guns like Glock, FN, HK etc.
    I look in the classifieds almost daily just too see what may be out there.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Right now, I have most of what I want, with the exceptions of a decent 4" revolver and a Steyr-Mannlicher M95.

I ignore most plastic pistols. At some point I should probably pick up an AR, but it's not a pressing matter. I'd like a double .410 and an older single-shot .22 with a rolling or falling block.

I pay special attention to Mosins because that's how I make my living. I used to be really interested in the Gewehr 88 series, too, but am currently thinking of selling out trading mine. It's an interesting rifle, but not one I fire a bunch and should probably go to a real collector.

I guess the short answer is that I ignore most newer offerings, especially those made of plastic and MIM.

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Custom built, best high-end component, built ARs...can't say I ignore them but mainly curious (and chuckle) to see how much $ people drop into them and expect to get it ALL back. Just because it's such a GREAT rifle after you've tricked it out the way YOU wanted doesn't mean everyone ELSE wants it. (It's just like remodeling a house to YOUR tastes and expecting others to pay your high $).
    Why not buy a higher end factory built and tuned AR to begin with, probably be more reliable and money ahead?

Don't look at ads for painted or cerakoted rifles, stippled Glocks, custom over-priced 1911's or Turkish shotguns...nah...I'll pass.

I'll always take a look at older S&W or Ruger revolvers, Marlin lever actions, and the latest stock American-made tactical semi-auto shotguns.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I don't ignore most ads, because all are a potential source of casual entertainment. Even though I have no interest as a buyer, I occasionally enjoy reading the knowledge of some of the more "historically oriented" posters ("...this gun has the proof marks from when the Mongol horde invaded Tajikmurkenistan and took over their armories...").

Of particular amusement is the $6,000 precision builds that never got shot. ("WhoopDogg Armory is the real deal - look it up if you don't believe me - serious inquiries only - I know what I have..."). I try to practice the Christian fixed-value-system character trait of not taking pleasure in the misfortune of others, but I must admit, when I see one of the "Look it up" type ads languishing forever and disappearing. It doesn't ruin my day.

I don't sell a ton of stuff, but when I reach the point I'm selling a gun, I understand the used market is "distressed merchandise" in a sense, and I'm taking somewhat of a "haircut" from what the new gun goes for. The used market is different from the retail market and you're dealing with a different buyer. It's often someone who doesn't have an immediate need for the item, but knows a good deal when they see it, and are in the market taking the "other end of the transaction."

A community of mature, experienced people who understand the realities of the used market, and can play the game within that context, is a great resource to have.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Always amusing to see an ad stating never fired, some holster wear.
    Or never fired, followed by a list of mods.

The other ones that strike me as interesting are from folks camped in the classies and every ad they post says took it in on a trade, but basically it's not something that they wanted. Sounds borderline like running a business of sorts.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I like to play a game of guessing the price of things before I open the ad, so I read more of them than I probably should.

The only thing I really avoid lately is anything listed as a “package deal.” Usually that means someone wants hundreds of dollars more to unload all the holsters they experimented with, or add-ons, or ammo that was carried or whatnot. As others have said, most things that have more than a couple of bumps are either super expensive, super overpriced, or junk. Any good deal or cheap items go quickly these days. There was a time in INGO history where you could find things at stupid low prices.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    My top 3 handgun ignore list:
    • Taurus
    • Hi-Point
    • Kahr.
    My top 3 handgun manufacturer 'avoidance' list as well.
    I've had several 'negative' experiences with Taurus...some non-fixable too!
    Being more of a revolver guy, I prefer Ruger's for their accuracy, ruggedness, and reliability knowing that taking the time to do a good MCCARBO trigger job is well worth it!
    S&W, however, does make a comfortable revolver to shoot as well...especially models #66, #340, and #360!!!

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I generally avoid anything used. Not rich, not a brand-snob. Just don't want someone else's problem(s). New guns are not a whole lot more money than used, and if I have a problem out to the box, the factory generally has a free solution. Two brands I'll never consider buying again are: Para-Ordnance and SCCY. P-O went full auto in the middle of a magazine, then
    exploded in my hand. IIRC, I got 17 stitches. The SCCY CPX-2 G3 simply did not work. New magazines, trip to MFR, maybe 300-400 rounds all-in. The thing would not fire an entire magazine w/o a 'nose-dive' failure. My guess: weak mag springs, and poorly designed follower.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I generally avoid anything used. Not rich, not a brand-snob. Just don't want someone else's problem(s). New guns are not a whole lot more money than used, and if I have a problem out to the box, the factory generally has a free solution. Two brands I'll never consider buying again are: Para-Ordnance and SCCY. P-O went full auto in the middle of a magazine, then
    exploded in my hand. IIRC, I got 17 stitches. The SCCY CPX-2 G3 simply did not work. New magazines, trip to MFR, maybe 300-400 rounds all-in. The thing would not fire an entire magazine w/o a 'nose-dive' failure. My guess: weak mag springs, and poorly designed follower.
    Interesting with the PO pistol, one of my sons was shooting my PO P14 stainless limited and it did the same thing.
    It didnt explode, but it dumped 8-10 rounds.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Interesting with the PO pistol, one of my sons was shooting my PO P14 stainless limited and it did the same thing.
    It didnt explode, but it dumped 8-10 rounds.
    Mine was a P14, also. RO at Shooters (Elkhart) told me I should send it back to MFR. WTF?!? You think I want another one of these? I think I got a box of ammo and a free hour of range time for it.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I look at all of them, but mostly for entertainment value, as I have pretty much everything I want at the moment. Got a good chuckle out of a guy who wants to trade a Glock 26 with a "value" of $999 and an absolutely ruined "stippled" frame for a Colt Python.

:):

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Mine was a P14, also. RO at Shooters (Elkhart) told me I should send it back to MFR. WTF?!? You think I want another one of these? I think I got a box of ammo and a free hour of range time for it.
    Mine is still sitting in a safe on a shelf, it was 10-12 years ago when it happened.
    This one is a Canadian build pistol, I called the new owners and service checked my serial number. I was told it wasnt under the lifetime warranty.
    It looks like the sear spring took a dump and beat the sear to death.
    Everytime I go to the Tipton Gun Show I forget to drop it off at Saltsman Gunsmithing.

Last edited:

bcsatch

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2021
    Farmland
    I don’t buy firearms by brand. I buy for a specific want or need. I also buy based on what calibers I prefer. Most of my guns are milsurps so obviously not brand specific anyway.

Top Bottom