When you're browsing the classifieds for guns, which brands/ types do you ignore?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I typically don't look at Taurus adds.

But you know what? I sometimes do. Because A) Their revolvers, historically, haven't been nearly as bad as their semi-autos and B ) their newest generation autos are kind of unsung heroes / budget guns (as long as you realize what they are). Plus their TX-22 continues to intrigue me. I may end up with one one day.

Also Kahr - I'll look at those adds out of morbid curiosity more than anything. I have a hard time believing they're still in business. They were like the "first" at the slim polymer striker-fired guns. And then they just kind of stopped innovating. Their P/CW series guns were all the hotness not all that long ago. If they'd just tweak a few things - they could still be a player in the slim CC market, IMO.

Really, I browse a lot of adds. Many many things that I cannot justify (Like a PRS rifle in...whatever caliber). Or nice hunting rifles in...whatever caliber. But always hunting for a bargain or even a potential project.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Consider yourself fortunate then. What you paid for what you got is not the norm. You got a stellar deal. If it was a factory threaded barrel then you got the gun for roughly $575.
    I dont believe that at all. Last fall I bought a NIB 229 with both 40 and sig barrels for,,,,
    Ready $450.00
    Yesterday I bought a pile of reloading equipment out of the classies for $150.00.
    And 120 miles RT.
    I was second inline, #1 was to lazy to drive 30 min. 5 sets of lyman and rcbs dies, lyman case trimmer, lyman scale and a thumblers tumbler. I will get my money back on the tumbler.
    The deals are out there, one just has to have cash ready and willing to drive to get it.

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    No need to even bother looking if it's a revolver or a 1911.

The only exceptions to that for me are Chiappa Rhinos and Standard color case hardened 1911s as I've wanted each of those for a while. But not enough to buy them until I find a really good deal.

And I will avoid anything from Bear Creek in the same fashion one would avoid high point.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Not the exact question you are asking but along the same line of "what goes through your mind when you look at the classifieds".

Carousing the classifieds still reminds of 15 years ago when I was pretty new to guns. I would open every single ad as a method of immersion and learning about all the brands, models, terms, options... when its all new it's exciting. I still find myself opening a great deal of ads that I know I have absolutely no interest in on the off chance I learn something I didn't know.

BackFromDC

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 19, 2023
    Jeffersonville
    Glocks, Caniks, S&W M&Ps, Springfield non-1911s, Sig handguns (except maybe a 210?), Rugers, and ARs in general.

Nothing wrong with them, I own several I listed. It really comes down to big box stores or LGSs already having them at an affordable rate. It's gotta be a swell deal or a rare thing if I have to drive a couple of hours with cash to meet a seller.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Each website has a primary focus. There are exceptions, but you have to play the odds.

When I am selling a Perrazi MX8 trap combo or a Kreighoff K32 with Parcours engraving, there will be a lot less buyers here than a competitive or a collectors shotgun site. And opposite, Most of those places would not be looking at tactical rifles or composite pistols that would be popular here.

No one is wrong, just different circles of interest.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    If its the 9mm legion msrp is 1499.00 I believe. Average store price 1200.00 plus tax.
    A MK25 226 sells for 1,100.00 plus tax.
    A few months back I bought a MK25 at 98% with box,mags, paperwork and a extra threaded barrel for $700.00 from a member here.
    They’re going for 1599 on GB, which I know many on here think is a terrible way to price discover.
    And that’s plus shipping, tax, transfer. Do if someone’s using that to price I don’t have a big problem with that.

ETA I’m not a tightwad or a very good bargain shopper, in case you couldn’t tell.

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Classifieds is what brought me to INGO 6 yrs ago when I got back into, "the hobby." :spend:
    But, after 8000 posts, obviously not why I stayed. :thumbsup: :coffee: :ingo:

I look everyday in the Classifieds for an opportunity & if the price is right: the fun is on!
    I stick with the "tried & true" brands, but it is fun finding out an unfamiliar gun brand like Canik is the real thing.

In checking my records, I have a modest $450 average paid for my guns.
    It's got to be something special for me to get out of my "range" & it has slimmer pickings since Covid.
    I see ads in the Classifieds for prices higher than guns at Range USA in Greenwood where I shoot.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Fun fact - I was alerted by the little bell that there was a new add in the classifieds. I SHOULD BE :nono: ignoring all classified adds at this time :spend:, yet I grazed the add with 15-20 different kinds of ammo. I have plenty of ammo, yet a great deal reached out and got me. Conversed with the new INGO gent late last night and met him early this morning to pick up my .22's. :n00b:

Nice guy who helps dismiss the myth that all new guys in the classifieds are nameless faceless and difficult to deal with. :twocents:

Plug for the add...

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Anything that has been "Bubba'd" and AR's that are not fully factory (no Franken-AR's)This is just me , to each his own.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Hi-Points are only the real brand I skip past.

For me, its location. I work 11 hours a day, six days a week. I dont have time to drive all over picking up this and that. This is why I wish sellers would post location in the headline, some do. That would save me the time of opening every single ad.

Nugget

Milsurp Enjoyer
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 30, 2022
    Morgan County
    Well crap.
    I came on this forum to sell some guns…after reading all the replies I have discovered that no matter what I have or what I try to sell them for nobody is gonna be interested in them….
    Oh well……..
    You'll quickly discover that no one on this forum is actually interested in firearms. This is mainly a political discussion board for preppers to talk about their favorite pizza toppings.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Well crap.
    I came on this forum to sell some guns…after reading all the replies I have discovered that no matter what I have or what I try to sell them for nobody is gonna be interested in them….
    Oh well……..
    Too old, too new, too cheap, too expensive, too many posts, not enough posts, too heavy, too light, pineapple, no pineapple. We may sound fickle but when it comes down to it we may not be all that discerning. Give it a try.

Also, I decided to become a supporter way before I even had an interest in the ads. $20 well spent.

Top Bottom