• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I can hardly think that anyone would compare unpasteurized milk to marijuana. What's the limit one can possess, 12fl oz?

When the issue involves the government telling us exactly how to live our lives, it's exactly the same thing.

It's doesn't matter what the issue is, because the issue is never the issue. (Crikey, I sound like Bill.) It's always about more control and less freedom. It's simply disguised as "common sense" laws for our own safety.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    WTH does unpasturized milk have to do with kids doing drugs? I for one know that it doesn't stop with pot. Majority of my childhood friends smoked pot and now are doing harder drugs or hard time. Not saying that's for everyone that smokes pot. But as Indy Money said. I don't want my kids saying to me "its a free country maaan" sounding like Cheech& Chong. Drugs are illegal. Plain and simple. No I don't support Government intrusion. But I also don't support breaking the law.

If you read the thread, the issue of pot being against the law was presented as a valid reason to be against its use. I am simply pointing out that the law may be wrong...

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    The treatment centers for pot smokers is a joke. I watched more than a few classmates go to treatment for 6 weeks just to come back to school looking for Johnny on the spot with a joint to smoke. If a kid wants to smoke pot, good luck stopping them, unless you lock them up. They will find a way to hide it from you and make you think they quit. Some years ago I found out a girl I went to school with who was a straight A student smoked pot all thru high school, who woulda thunk it.

And as to it being illegal, who gives a rats arse, like another poster said, just because its legal or illegal doesnt it make it morally right or wrong. Just my thoughts though.

If the government makes guns, and I mean all guns, illegal I am sure you will all turn them in won't you? Not a chance, even though you would be breaking the law.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Please read the thread about the armed raids on farmers in California for unpasteurized milk. Tell me you support that government intrusion as well.:dunno:

Doesn't matter if you support either one. It's just stupid. I didn't raise my kids to be stupid. That's all.

MarkM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I feel safe in saying that more people have died from drinking unpasteurized milk than have from smoking pot.

The issue of beer being legal was already brought into the fold... while these are both mind altering substances, it is clear which presents the great danger.

I expect my child not to smoke pot, or drink alcohol (or unpasturized milk for that matter... unless I end up getting goats or something... assuming that is still legal in a few years). If she does, then I'll address it at that time, and probably won't send her away to treatment. But I'll have to cross that bridge if/when it comes. Sorry for the thread jack.

I see where your coming from. I by no means would send my kid away for smoking pot. But you can bet they'd be working their arse off until I deemed fit. Plus I would not give them any money until I feel I can trust them not to make a stupid decision like that. The only time I feel like you should send someone for help is when they are doing hardcore drugs or drinking constantly.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    If you read the thread, the issue of pot being against the law was presented as a valid reason to be against its use. I am simply pointing out that the law may be wrong...

Doesn't matter if the law is right or wrong, it's against the law. The risk / reward ratio with smoking pot is ten times further out of whack than playing the powerball lotto. It's stupid.

MarkM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Bigus I admire you standing your ground on this argument. But it just boils down to this. Right or wrong, Legal or Illegal. Smoking pot is a stupid decision. I understand the whole freedom side of the argument. But as free as you want to be would you allow your kid to smoke pot?

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    Bigus I admire you standing your ground on this argument. But it just boils down to this. Right or wrong, Legal or Illegal. Smoking pot is a stupid decision. I understand the whole freedom side of the argument. But as free as you want to be would you allow your kid to smoke pot?

Would you allow your kid to drink alcohol?

I don't think kids should be doing either. Not because it is against the law, but because there is simply no need for it. We will use our brain to entertain ourselves... not abuse our brain to entertain ourselves.

That said, I do enjoy a drink now and again. Never to excess (IMO), at least not anymore. At some point, my baby will be mature enough to drink, whether or not she is legally old enough at that point, is hard to say. I'll have to see how she grows up.

I HOPE that when my baby grows up, she is free to make whatever choices she wants. I also hope she is smart enough to make the right ones. It is MY RESPONSIBILITY to get her to that point, NOT the government's.

The issue of restricting pot, but allowing alcohol doesn't make any sense to me. I am of the opinion that the government has no place restricting either of these substances for consumption. Furthermore, if I want to drink unpasturized milk, who are you (or the government) to stop me?

The issue is freedom. It was well said above about the gun issue. I view these all as being the same issue (government intrusion). Of course, I would turn in every single gun I have if they were suddenly outlawed. I wouldn't have a boating accident. I wouldn't bury them. Turn them all in. Everyone, together. If it is against the law, we must obey. Right Jack?

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    Would you allow your kid to drink alcohol?

I don't think kids should be doing either. Not because it is against the law, but because there is simply no need for it. We will use our brain to entertain ourselves... not abuse our brain to entertain ourselves.

That said, I do enjoy a drink now and again. Never to excess (IMO), at least not anymore. At some point, my baby will be mature enough to drink, whether or not she is legally old enough at that point, is hard to say. I'll have to see how she grows up.

I HOPE that when my baby grows up, she is free to make whatever choices she wants. I also hope she is smart enough to make the right ones. It is MY RESPONSIBILITY to get her to that point, NOT the government's.

The issue of restricting pot, but allowing alcohol doesn't make any sense to me. I am of the opinion that the government has no place restricting either of these substances for consumption. Furthermore, if I want to drink unpasturized milk, who are you (or the government) to stop me?

The issue is freedom. It was well said above about the gun issue. I view these all as being the same issue (government intrusion). Of course, I would turn in every single gun I have if they were suddenly outlawed. I wouldn't have a boating accident. I wouldn't bury them. Turn them all in. Everyone, together. If it is against the law, we must obey. Right Jack?

I don't see the difference between smoking pot and taking Valium your doctor prescribed. If you ask me I'd rather smoke the pot "illegal" or not. But then again I'm not a dorky blowhard that cites every wrong people do by the book.

When will be stop giving 2 spits about other people and what they're doing, as long as they're not driving under the influence, putting myself or anyone in society in danger ( including property ) who gives a crap?

Toke, shoot, blow until you die, for all I care, it's their choice, their body - NOT MINE.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008

People are free to be stupid in this country. It's not what I'd do but be as free as ya wanna be.

So long as my kids live under my roof and get support from me, it comes with strings attached and "This ain't no democracy kid. It's a dictatorship. A benevolant dictatorship but a dictatorship none the less." Funny how even at 15 and 16 that was so easy for them to understand something so difficult here.

My kids are both grown now. They both finished high school and college on time. They both have full time jobs, go to work every day. Pay all their own bills. No one got pregnant or got any one else pregnant. Neither one does drugs, smokes tobacco or anything else, drinks, has any arrest record not dates felons. Neither one owes any one else in this world a nickle and they both have money in the bank they earned every penny through their own efforts and ability.

Maybe not the Nobel prize or any thing but I'm pretty frigging proud of 'em.

You do it how ya wanna do. That's what I did.

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    People are free to be stupid in this country. It's not what I'd do but be as free as ya wanna be.

Erroneous statement, if they were "free to be stupid" an otherwise beneficial member of society would not be dubbed a criminal for a marijuana possession charge.

It's great about your kids, I'd be proud too but to be honest; but you haven't lived if you have not experimented. Entheogen's and Marijuana have gave me a look at the universe I never would have imagined without the substances.

I am a rather productive member of society, hold a great job that requires great technical ability - I didn't have to turn down everything big brother says is "bad" to get here, either.

If you ask me, raising a group of subservient drones isn't my forte.

Let me add a snippet from one of my favorite authors and the most revered psychonaught in my eyes.

I think drugs would allow a good thing in the culture, remember the movement in the 60's and the correlation of the extremely high drug use? Does anyone else find it a coincidence that drugs were banned shortly after?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9c8an2XZ3MU

Last edited:

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    It's amazing how a bunch of gun nuts that whine constantly about excessive government intervention don't mind being told smoking a harmless weed will get you put in jail.

For all the holier than thou people that said they would or have raised their kids better than that, your kids have more than likely already smoked it. If they haven't yet, they will. If being ignorant about what your kids do makes you feel like a better parent, then so be it.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    It's amazing how a bunch of gun nuts that whine constantly about excessive government intervention don't mind being told smoking a harmless weed will get you put in jail.

For all the holier than thou people that said they would or have raised their kids better than that, your kids have more than likely already smoked it. If they haven't yet, they will. If being ignorant about what your kids do makes you feel like a better parent, then so be it.

well Im off to beat my 5 and 6 year olds butt.

Just because your parents failed at rasing you doesnt mean the rest of us will.

I also dont belive that the governments control of weed is excessive either, Its one step farther than the restrictions on beer.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    And here we have yet another thread, wherein some people demonstrate a love of freedom and liberty, and others show once again that they are pretenders who believe only in those freedoms and liberties THEY like, or the government LET'S them have.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    I think one problem with pot is the people you end up around, or ARE around to obtain it, smoke it and party with it.

Not to mention the inevitable loss of motivation.
    Not to mention the inevitable on to harder stuff.
    Not to mention it becomes a God, just like alcohol, or nicotine or anything you program your mind and body to want out of habit.
    Not to mention the harm to the body.
    Not to mention the legality.
    Not to mention the social impact.
    Not to mention the fact that if you get caught with it in your system on the job, you are labeled, or sent to a rehab or just plain fired.
    Not to mention drug tests are administered in many employers protocols--- and most of those pay very well.

I know, I smoked it for years, then I smoked meth, crank, did some cocaine. You don't stop. You end up in dead end social circles, broken down cars, broken homes or with no place to go at all. I've been there, done that too.

@ the original poster: Get your kid out of his social circles, out of that school and talk to him. spend some non judgmental time with him and find out why he is seeking out that kind of release from social, emotional or physical stress. Perhaps the rap culture has finally convinced him to remain stupid and just 'stay high til' ya die'....
    FIND OUT by being his friend and then be his dad and companion.
    Don't run him off, he is searching for something.
    Right now you don't want to be a judge, just an ear and a very concerned party.

hope this helps, it's what I wanted my concerned parent(s) to do for me. LOVE is a good start.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    well Im off to beat my 5 and 6 year olds butt.

Just because your parents failed at rasing you doesnt mean the rest of us will.

I also dont belive that the governments control of weed is excessive either, Its one step farther than the restrictions on beer.

I don't believe a kid smoking weed is a failure on the parents part, but on that kid, and that kid alone. The good thing is, he will, hopefully, have the opportunity to get it right.

I started smoking weed (off and on), at 12 and didn't stop until I was kicked out of college and joined the Army. I was afraid to get caught on a test, so I stopped 30 days before going to the MEPS and have never done it since then.

I would be highly disappointed if either of my children did it. Hopefully I wouldn't go ape and forget that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. However, there would be no appearance that I condone the practice, but only love and care for my child.

It's love that will cause me to tell them the difference between wrong and right. If I didn't do that, I would surely consider myself a failure.

Top Bottom