• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I'm simply saying that kids will be kids and if you think yours hasn't tried it you are most likely fooling yourself. My initial statement merely states that there is no reason to get bent out of shape over it once you find out, and that is the truth. There are a lot of posters on here that would turn a non-event into a crucifixion, which will only do more harm than good.

You can say it all you want but your saying it isn't to fool me.

I wouldn't get excessively bent out of shape over it. Kids do a lot of stupid things. I've done a lot of stupid things both when I was a kid and a lot longer after I didn't have that excuse. Doesn't mean they weren't stupid.

The most stupid thing a person can do is want to learn from their own mistakes. I'd rather learn from yours and I'd rather my kids learn from mine. I'm not shy about what they were and I don't pretend it was some kind of liberal rights crusade they should back me up on. If it was a mistake and it was stupid then I'll tell them, "I did that once. It's was pretty stupid then and it's still pretty stupid now."

So far it's worked pretty good as far as I can tell. They are a heck of a lot smarter than I ever was close to at their age and at least 10 years smarter financially than I was at their age.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    An appeal to law is a logical fallacy which occurs when one argues that something must be morally wrong because there is current legislation against such, or, more rarely, when one argues that something must be morally right as there is no legislation against it.

Appeal to law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's not a logical fallacy to say that you want your kids to obey the law.

There are consequences to disobeying the law that reasonable parents would legitimately prefer their kids to avoid.

Yes, there are some immoral things that are legal and some moral things that are illegal. But that does not negate a parent's legitimate desire to raise a law-abiding child.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    And here we have yet another thread, wherein some people demonstrate a love of freedom and liberty, and others show once again that they are pretenders who believe only in those freedoms and liberties THEY like, or the government LET'S them have.

QFT.

The guy down the street thinks that Pot is bad so it should be banned. He gathers enough people to petition the government and it happens .Pot is now banned.

The guy down the street thinks that Guns are bad so they should be banned. He gathers enough people to petition the government and it happens. Guns are now banned.

The guy down the street thinks that Freedom of Speech is bad so it should be banned. He gathers enough people to petition the government and it happens. Freedom of Speech is now banned.

The guy down the street thinks that Liberals are bad so it should be banned. He gathers enough people to petition the government and it happens. Liberals are now banned.

The guy down the street thinks that Religion is bad so it should be banned. He gathers enough people to petition the government and it happens. Religion is now banned.

Now, if you can support any of the above statements, you are a tyrannical bigot. If you can support one over the other, you are tyrannical hypocrite.

Not a Patriot.

That is all.

:patriot:

Movealongmovealong

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Bloomington
    If you are using drugs on a consistent basis to "get away" from life, you are an addict. If you consistently neglect other aspects of your life in order to habitually take part in some other activity, whether it's eating, drinking, smoking weed, wasting time on the internet (... checks self in mirror...), grabbing power at work or home, or anything else, there's a good likelihood you are an addict as well.

How many people smoke weed in this fashion? The vast majority, IMExp. It's mostly people who want to get HIGH, not like feeling a little relaxed after a glass of wine or a beer. Why? To get away, to avoid responsibility, to avoid some aspect of life they just can't/won't deal with.

Also, look at the culture surrounding the use of marijuana. Is it one of responsibility, upstanding citizenship, mental health, productive social activity, etc.? Uhh... not exactly. Really, rather the opposite. Sometimes people say, "Well I know so-and-so and they are a doctor/lawyer/got great grades/achieved in some other way, and they smoked weed, SO IT MUST BE OKAY! This is called "confirmation bias." Yeah, did you know there are crappy doctors out there? Awful lawyers? Just because someone got good grades, do they always end up having a good, healthy and productive life? No. I knew a guy in elementary school whose dad was a head doctor at a hospital and still practices. He eventually was letting all of his kids smoke weed. How did it all turn out? Well, a couple of divorces later this fine doctor's (who still practices! mind you) son, long after I stopped hanging out with his son, he was in deep trouble with the law, both he and his sister had dropped out of high school, older brother had no career path... then, he gets caught committing a burglary with some trashball pal of his... the homeowner happened to have walked in on them and they murdered this poor guy. Then his sister commits suicide. Now this guy is putting in a solid life term after his pal committed suicide by cop. Yeah, that turned out great, huh?

Think I'm FOS?

Burglar pleads guilty to Lakeland murder The Commercial Appeal

Deputies Charge Two in Lakeland Murder

Here's his dad, looking like a broken man who can barely muster a smile:

Physician Directory - Crockett Hospital

THC has well known and documented negative consequences on health, particularly with frontal lobe disorders that are clinically unrecognizable as different from ADHD (decrease in ability to correctly prioritize information, lack of motivation, memory problems). Not to mention the method of intake for most people is smoking which has an entire other class of problems associated with it.

Alcohol, of course, also has health risks involved as well, but with reasonable moderate use they can be minimized. Again, the situation with most people and marijuana is that they don't just want to get a little relaxed, they want to be really "buzzed" or just really "high", so back to the point I was making before, basically, pretty immediate and significant brain damage. This might seem out there, but alot of people are starting to consider banning football because of all the brain damage... yeah. Just good fun, right? Not really. Google it for more info.

In my opinion, the question is settled already. Marijuana should not be available for entertainment purposes unless it was REALLY strictly regulated, which is probably not financially worthwhile, because there's already alcohol. For real, legitimate medical uses of marijuana, ok, but the current state of affairs for the use of "medical marijuana" is laughable. States are getting in on it because they need the tax revenue and it's costing them a ton to enforce the laws (which I agree in some respects are not that good). That's the real reason the cost-benefit analysis is tipping the other way at this point, and I don't think it's a very good reason.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    If you are using drugs on a consistent basis to "get away" from life, you are an addict. If you consistently neglect other aspects of your life in order to habitually take part in some other activity, whether it's eating, drinking, smoking weed, wasting time on the internet (... checks self in mirror...), grabbing power at work or home, or anything else, there's a good likelihood you are an addict as well.

How many people smoke weed in this fashion? The vast majority, IMExp. It's mostly people who want to get HIGH, not like feeling a little relaxed after a glass of wine or a beer. Why? To get away, to avoid responsibility, to avoid some aspect of life they just can't/won't deal with.

Also, look at the culture surrounding the use of marijuana. Is it one of responsibility, upstanding citizenship, mental health, productive social activity, etc.? Uhh... not exactly. Really, rather the opposite. Sometimes people say, "Well I know so-and-so and they are a doctor/lawyer/got great grades/achieved in some other way, and they smoked weed, SO IT MUST BE OKAY! This is called "confirmation bias." Yeah, did you know there are crappy doctors out there? Awful lawyers? Just because someone got good grades, do they always end up having a good, healthy and productive life? No. I knew a guy in elementary school whose dad was a head doctor at a hospital and still practices. He eventually was letting all of his kids smoke weed. How did it all turn out? Well, a couple of divorces later this fine doctor's (who still practices! mind you) son, long after I stopped hanging out with his son, he was in deep trouble with the law, both he and his sister had dropped out of high school, older brother had no career path... then, he gets caught committing a burglary with some trashball pal of his... the homeowner happened to have walked in on them and they murdered this poor guy. Then his sister commits suicide. Now this guy is putting in a solid life term after his pal committed suicide by cop. Yeah, that turned out great, huh?

Think I'm FOS?

THC has well known and documented negative consequences on health, particularly with frontal lobe disorders that are clinically unrecognizable as different from ADHD (decrease in ability to correctly prioritize information, lack of motivation, memory problems). Not to mention the method of intake for most people is smoking which has an entire other class of problems associated with it.

Alcohol, of course, also has health risks involved as well, but with reasonable moderate use they can be minimized. Again, the situation with most people and marijuana is that they don't just want to get a little relaxed, they want to be really "buzzed" or just really "high", so back to the point I was making before, basically, pretty immediate and significant brain damage. This might seem out there, but alot of people are starting to consider banning football because of all the brain damage... yeah. Just good fun, right? Not really. Google it for more info.

In my opinion, the question is settled already. Marijuana should not be available for entertainment purposes unless it was REALLY strictly regulated, which is probably not financially worthwhile, because there's already alcohol. For real, legitimate medical uses of marijuana, ok, but the current state of affairs for the use of "medical marijuana" is laughable. States are getting in on it because they need the tax revenue and it's costing them a ton to enforce the laws (which I agree in some respects are not that good). That's the real reason the cost-benefit analysis is tipping the other way at this point, and I don't think it's a very good reason.

Now. Take all that research and knowledge and articles and compare it to alcohol. With your logic, alcohol should be STRICTLY regulated out of legality. That went over SOOO well the first time, maybe we should try it again? :dunno:

Movealongmovealong

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Bloomington
    If you are using drugs on a consistent basis to "get away" from life, you are an addict. If you consistently neglect other critical aspects of your life in order to habitually take part in some other activity, whether it's eating, drinking, smoking weed, wasting time on the internet (... checks self in mirror...), grabbing power at work or home, or anything else, there's a good likelihood you are an addict as well.

Think I'm FOS?

If this stuff didn't have an effect on me or others, I don't think anyone would care. But it does. Then, democracy kicks in. We have a vote. Turns out most people think it's a bad idea. You disagree, try to convince everyone otherwise. Get into politics (not that it always works perfectly...).

There's my $.02

Movealongmovealong

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Bloomington
    Yeah, except lots of people enjoy alcohol responsibly, in fact, the majority. Empirical as well as everyday evidence says that's the case. The same says that it's not the case with marijuana.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Now. Take all that research and knowledge and articles and compare it to alcohol. With your logic, alcohol should be STRICTLY regulated out of legality. That went over SOOO well the first time, maybe we should try it again? :dunno:

What are you talking about? We ARE doing it again. There is no difference. Except this time we didn't need any old pesky Constitutional Amendment to get it done, because our government decided it doesn't need to worry about that sort of thing anymore.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Yeah, except lots of people enjoy alcohol responsibly, in fact, the majority. Empirical as well as everyday evidence says that's the case. The same says that it's not the case with marijuana.
    Can we assume you have a citation to back up that statement? There are millions of pot smokers who are responsible smokers and are contributing members of society. I can think of a few just off the top of my head that put the lie to your assertion. Please show us a link.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008

See following post.

Can we assume you have a citation to back up that statement? There are millions of pot smokers who are responsible smokers and are contributing members of society. I can think of a few just off the top of my head that put the lie to your assertion. Please show us a link.

And on the flip side of that, I know more irresponsible drinkers than I do responsible ones. Alcohol is 10 times more likely, IN MY EXPERIENCE, to ruin a family than Pot.

Also, I have yet to meet anyone that smokes pot that gets violent, as opposed to those who drink.

You can list all the ill effects of pot that you want. One thing you fail to mention is that most of those ill effects come from being a burn-out (read, someone who smokes all day everyday). How about you research the effects of the drugs you buy over the counter at Walmart and see all the ill effects they have. The more you take, the worse off you are. Or how about the food you eat. Think that Lean Cuisine(TM) frozen dinner is better for you than McDonalds? Think again. Do you even know what MSG is????

Look. Everything in this world is designed to kill you. Everything. Paper. Air. Boolits. Animals. Insects. Clothes. Food. Plants. Water. Everything.

You have no right to tell someone what they can or cannot do with their body. If I want to come home after a long week at work and smoke myself stupid on my day off, that's none of you or anyone else business. Unless I go out and start shooting people, robbing people, etc etc etc, which is NOT common among straight pot smokers. Meth heads, crack heads, coke heads, sure. But not Pot heads.

How would I know? I'm a former Pot Smoker. I'd rather smoke than drink because at least I can stay in control of my actions while high.

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I don't see the difference between smoking pot and taking Valium your doctor prescribed. If you ask me I'd rather smoke the pot "illegal" or not. But then again I'm not a dorky blowhard that cites every wrong people do by the book.

When will be stop giving 2 spits about other people and what they're doing, as long as they're not driving under the influence, putting myself or anyone in society in danger ( including property ) who gives a crap?

Toke, shoot, blow until you die, for all I care, it's their choice, their body - NOT MINE.
    I agree wholeheartedly with the whole post especially in red. rep'd.:yesway:

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    QFT.

The guy down the street thinks that Pot is bad so it should be banned. He gathers enough people to petition the government and it happens .Pot is now banned.

The guy down the street thinks that Guns are bad so they should be banned. He gathers enough people to petition the government and it happens. Guns are now banned.

The guy down the street thinks that Freedom of Speech is bad so it should be banned. He gathers enough people to petition the government and it happens. Freedom of Speech is now banned.

The guy down the street thinks that Liberals are bad so it should be banned. He gathers enough people to petition the government and it happens. Liberals are now banned.

The guy down the street thinks that Religion is bad so it should be banned. He gathers enough people to petition the government and it happens. Religion is now banned.

Now, if you can support any of the above statements, you are a tyrannical bigot. If you can support one over the other, you are tyrannical hypocrite.

Not a Patriot.

That is all.

:patriot:
    :thumbsup:...rep'd:patriot:

Top Bottom