Whats the stupidest thing you've heard at gun store/range?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    In my "early years" of carrying, I heard someone say you didn't need a permit in Indiana as long as you open carried, you needed one for concealed carry. Thank god I researched that info instead of heeding it.
    That's a common thing.
    People hear something on TV, or something from another State, and they think it applies to this State.

minigunjake

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I couldn't even begin to narrow it down.

Earlier today I went to rural king for a minute. Two old guys were at the counter and one asked to look at a small handgun for daily carry. The other one belted out, "So, you're going to start killing people?" I had a hard time not saying something, but I likely would have gotten kicked out of the store.
    That's when you look at him and say "Start?"

binkerton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Paraphrasing here, but...
    Since you told me that you are buying this as a gift for your son in law I cant legally sell this to you now.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Since you told me that you are buying this as a gift for your son in law I cant legally sell this to you now.
    iu

And in the future, keep your bacon hole shut. Too many armchair lawyers that dont understand the nuances of this.

Firehawk

a.k.a. Rainmaker, Rainhawk, Firemaker or whatever
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon
    while looking for my first rifle I told the guy at the counter “I live out in the country and I’m looking for something that will shoot accurately to 200 yards and can take down coyotes”. He hands me a Glock. I called BS. He tells me “I shoot these accurately at 200 yards all the time”.

Then a different store.
    While looking for my first rifle, the guy at the counter was trying to sell me on the .223. He said “my buddy uses these to shoot buckets of water and it’ll blow the lid off. Think if that was a bad guy, no matter where you hit them you’ll take their head off! The military designed it that way.”

Last edited:

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I was at Sportsman's Warehouse in Ft Wayne. Customer asked the employee at the counter if the AR he was looking at would fire 223 Rem ammo, and the guy looked at the gun and said it was chambered in 223 Wylde which is "a completely different bullet"

:facepalm:

I had to speak up and correct him for the Customers sake.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Then a different store.
    While looking for my first rifle, the guy at the counter was trying to sell me on the .223. He said “my buddy uses these to shoot buckets of water and it’ll blow the lid off. Think if that was a bad guy, no matter where you hit them you’ll take their head off! The military designed it that way.”
    Maybe he'd seen the Stretch Armstrong video when the .44 Magnum took his head off and got confused. That's about all I can come up with.

Jon Smith

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2021
    Warsaw
    I have had a similar situation at the Kendallville RK, and another at the Warsaw Dunham's.

Would someone PLEASE explain "straw purchase" to these people.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I have had a similar situation at the Kendallville RK, and another at the Warsaw Dunham's.

Would someone PLEASE explain "straw purchase" to these people.
    JUST. SHUT. YOUR. MOUTH.

"Can I see that one? Great, I'll take it. Here is the completed 4473. Here is my payment. Thank you very much. Have a good day."

Anything more than that and you're opening yourself to headaches. Nobody cares that it is a gift. Nobody.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    I started working part time at one of the BBS at the firearms counter after I retired in June. While people point out the number of dumbasses that are employed, and we have a few, you fail to see the other side.

The FUDD's, Space Shuttle door gunners, I never have had a ND so why can't I show you my pistol by taking it out of the holster and sweeping EVERYBODY, gun locks in store are stupid- so what if it's based on the shooting of an employee somewhere, I just want to buy that expensive rifle bore sighted today on Thursday cause I've never hunted before and I'm going out this weekend.
    My favorite is the guys buying a 1000 yard gun who have never shot over 100 yards who think it turns them into Chris Kyle.

How about the guy that gets so angry that he's been repeatedly delayed and not able to walk out with his firearm after 3 days, due to company policy, that he begins to make threats to the employees? Yep, some real upstanding citizens who I really want to see owning firearms. But hey, sell it to them so when they **** up we can make fun of them and say how sad it is they represent the rest of us.

Unlike some, if a customer asks me a question that I don't know the answer to, I'll be honest and let them know that. I'll then find out the answer. As Uncle Pat (RIP) use to say- "learning has occurred" at that point

binkerton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    lets start naming the stores now
    This was once again at the Columbus RK. I swear I get my fill of dumb comments from that place. Its usually just bad advice which I can just shake my head and walk away from. This one though made me mad cause someone was getting denied a sale for no good reason. The guy working the counter at least admitted he was unsure and offered to get a manager up there to help, but when some doofus (not the manager) came walking up and started acting like he knew best and told them they were trying to do a straw purchase I hit the roof. I swear if they're going to sell guns, they might wanna at least train their clerks selling them on the most basic laws. Especially one that can get a person 10 years and a fine of $250K!

Top Bottom