Whats the stupidest thing you've heard at gun store/range?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    How about the guy that gets so angry that he's been repeatedly delayed and not able to walk out with his firearm after 3 days, due to company policy, that he begins to make threats to the employees? Yep, some real upstanding citizens who I really want to see owning firearms. But hey, sell it to them so when they **** up we can make fun of them and say how sad it is they represent the rest of us.

I've seen a guy that basically had to be carried out after he got so upset over being denied on his 4473. Was at Kiesler's around 2001 or 2002. Corky threatened to whoop him.

Edit: The best part was he looked like Don Knotts and got wide-eyed and started shaking just like Don Knotts would do on TV.

Last edited:

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    I have had a similar situation at the Kendallville RK, and another at the Warsaw Dunham's.

Would someone PLEASE explain "straw purchase" to these people.
    There was a guy from NY trying to purchase a lower here in FL and the shop owner explained he could only do a transfer to an FFL in NY. The guy tried to argue but ultimately just left. About 5 minutes later a woman that had to have been about 80 came in and asked to purchase the exact same lower. The shop owner looked at her and said “tell your son the answer is still no.” It was one of the more comical attempts at a straw purchase I’ve seen.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Wasnt me, but I did speak up for them and let them and the guy at the counter know it wasnt illegal. But yeah, next time just dont say anything.
    "Are you the actual transferee/buyer....?"

Yes. The answer is yes. When I bought a watch for my wife. I was the actual buyer of the watch. The fact that I gave it to her as a gift does not change the fact that I was the actual buyer. This is not hard.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    It does say - "Warning: You are not the actual transferee/buyer if you are acquiring the firearm(s) on behalf of another person."
    In that context "on behalf of" means "as a representative of" or "acting in the stead of" that person. When I buy a gift, any gift, I am not acting as someone's representative or acting in their stead.

If someone sends you to the store and gives you a twenty to buy a rack of ribs for them, you are acting "on behalf" of them. If you go to the store and use your own money to buy a rack of ribs, you are acting on behalf of yourself. If you give the ribs to your friend as a gift, it does not change who you were acting "on behalf" of.

I am talking about real gifts, not made up situations to get away with something.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    In that context "on behalf of" means "as a representative of" or "acting in the stead of" that person. When I buy a gift, any gift, I am not acting as someone's representative or acting in their stead.

If someone sends you to the store and gives you a twenty to buy a rack of ribs for them, you are acting "on behalf" of them. If you go to the store and use your own money to buy a rack of ribs, you are acting on behalf of yourself. If you give the ribs to your friend as a gift, it does not change who you were acting "on behalf" of.

I am talking about real gifts, not made up situations to get away with something.

Where is the store I can buy a rack of ribs for $20?

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota

I know you are right and I agree completely. But if the ATF disagrees (and they are a disagreeable bunch) it can still get expensive to prove you are right.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I know you are right and I agree completely. But if the ATF disagrees (and they are a disagreeable bunch) it can still get expensive to prove you are right.
    I don't think so. I think we've been down this road before, and while I can't quote them, I think gifts are specifically covered in ATF regulations.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I know the ATF suggests that instead of buying a gun for gift, you give a gift certificate/card so that there are no straw purchaser issues that can be raised. I'm not sure that they claim gifting in and of itself is illegal. In fact, their website has a Q and A that specifically says that firearms and ammo can be gifted to minors.

The safest way to avoid questions about who is the "actual buyer or transferee" is the gift certificate/card thing...so I suggest that for everyone, as not your lawyer.

However....

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    I don't think so. I think we've been down this road before, and while I can't quote them, I think gifts are specifically covered in ATF regulations.
    I am in a little different situation. I'm getting older and it is time to sell off some or most of my collection. ATF documents specifically say you can sell your collection but they also specifically say you cannot be doing business with a C&R license. I spoke to two different ATF agents and they admitted some agents are more "enthusiastic" about accusing one of doing business when selling your collection. They don't like it if you are buying guns at the same time you are selling guns. So I have been intentionally avoiding buying guns lately. I have only bought one Colt Officers Model Match revolver in the last year. So I think I am safe to start selling but you really never know if some over-active agent will accuse you of anything. Just because their documents say something doesn't make it very comforting.

Top Bottom