Whats the stupidest thing you've heard at gun store/range?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    So much stupid on public gun ranges...
    I have no idea where to start.
    Sounds like you guys have the same experience.

A couple come to mind right away...

"The bullet speeds up after it leaves the barrel"

"Millimeters (like 7.62mm) is how many people the bullet will shoot through in a row"

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    This just happened a little while ago. I wont use any names.

As I was being checked out the black clerk was talking to a group of us about the creepiest place he ever had been: The Civil Rights Museum. Its the former hotel where MLK was gunned down. Apparently he was shot by James Earl Jones. :scratch::nuts::lmfao:

This cracker didnt have the heart to correct him in front of a bunch of coworkers and customers. So I just smiled and nodded. Im sure it was probably a slip of the tongue, but it was hilarious.

Last edited:

JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    A guy was practicing for deer hunting with a twelve gauge and slugs.He informed me it had an effective range of 500 yards...lmao.
    Rookie numbers!! I have a neighbor, luckily a mile or so away,that has a 20 gauge that he is good to 600 yards with. Of course he is naturally a former Army Ranger. About 5'5" and 250 lbs.

jdeanp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2022
    Southern IN
    "45-70 is only good for short range."

...and...

Guy:
    "I hate [redacted] cause they charge so little I can't compete!"

Me: "What's your transfer fee?"

Guy: "$35 plus $10 background check." (Bg check is state requirement.)

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    -clerk: how can I help you?
    -buyer: looking for a handgun.
    -clerk: caliber, budget, role?
    -buyer: well I need a 45. I'd like to buy a 9....but I actually want them to stop if I have to use it. That 45 even if it hits a leg or arm they are gonna drop right there.

I've heard similar stories like that many times. Much fudd lore floating around out there!

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    -clerk: how can I help you?
    -buyer: looking for a handgun.
    -clerk: caliber, budget, role?
    -buyer: well I need a 45. I'd like to buy a 9....but I actually want them to stop if I have to use it. That 45 even if it hits a leg or arm they are gonna drop right there.

I've heard similar stories like that many times. Much fudd lore floating around out there!
    Didn't you see "Saving Private Ryan?" Tom Hanks stopped a tank with a .45.

HCRMPD1

Marksman
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Shelbyville
    Not one stupid thing but something I hear over and over from guys behind the counter: When someone asks to see a specific model of gun they are looking for and the sales guy says something like: "Well to be honest, that gun is unreliable/outdated/cheap/junk and THIS is the one you should buy." Or they say: "My buddy has a friend that knows a guy that had a cousin who was a LEO/Operator/Seal and he said this is the best one ever!"

That really burns me. Really? Instead of showing the customer the gun he wants to see, he completely directs him to something else. Just show him the gun he came in to see and then answer questions to learn more about the customer's needs and use. That's what a helpful sales guy SHOULD do. Sure, some customers are newbies but many have already DONE their research and want to see the gun firsthand. Listen to the customer...then help and advise! Is that so damn hard?
    Good customer service, what a novel idea.

HCRMPD1

Marksman
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Shelbyville
    I'll bet every gun shop employee in every city can relate to how many times a young twenty something girl walks in and tries to buy a pistol or some ammo that they know nothing about. Sometimes she is with a man that looks and acts shady, sometimes he waits in the car. You know that she is not buying for herself. Whatever she wants, I just tell her we are out of it or that we cannot sell it because it has been recalled by the factory, and we don't get more good ones for about 3 weeks.

I never get why these girls are willing to screw their lives up with these thug types.
    Good for you. Glad to hear about someone that can spot a problem about to happen and move to make it go away.......

grillak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2021
    Indianapolis
    Good for you. Glad to hear about someone that can spot a problem about to happen and move to make it go away.......
    i saw that same thing at IGB a couple of years ago.

3 thugs and a hoodrat. the rat kept telling the thugs to pick one. she told them she could only spend $500. right at the counter next to me and the salesguy. and they smelled like indonesia.

the guy refused to sell them anything

Top Bottom