Whats the stupidest thing you've heard at gun store/range?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I am in a little different situation. I'm getting older and it is time to sell off some or most of my collection. ATF documents specifically say you can sell your collection but they also specifically say you cannot be doing business with a C&R license. I spoke to two different ATF agents and they admitted some agents are more "enthusiastic" about accusing one of doing business when selling your collection. They don't like it if you are buying guns at the same time you are selling guns. So I have been intentionally avoiding buying guns lately. I have only bought one Colt Officers Model Match revolver in the last year. So I think I am safe to start selling but you really never know if some over-active agent will accuse you of anything. Just because their documents say something doesn't make it very comforting.
    I'm getting older and it is time to sell off some or most of my collection.

I'm in the same situation, and you can always turn in your C&R at any time. And you've always been able to sell your guns to "improve your collection". I don't know how persnickety they'd be about selling your C&R guns to buy modern guns though.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    I was at Sportsman's Warehouse in Ft Wayne. Customer asked the employee at the counter if the AR he was looking at would fire 223 Rem ammo, and the guy looked at the gun and said it was chambered in 223 Wylde which is "a completely different bullet"

:facepalm:

I had to speak up and correct him for the Customers sake.
    Well actually it is a completely different bullet. But it is manufactured to the same dimensions and standards!

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    I'm getting older and it is time to sell off some or most of my collection.

I'm in the same situation, and you can always turn in your C&R at any time. And you've always been able to sell your guns to "improve your collection". I don't know how persnickety they'd be about selling your C&R guns to buy modern guns though.
    I have read that stuff about selling too - but all they have to do is get a wild hair and accuse you of something and life gets bad - and expensive.
    I have not sold anything for many years even when I upgrade some, I just keep them all.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I wonder if detailed logs, separate safes, etc would help?

"No sir, I'm not doing business with my C&R buying and selling. Here is the safe with what I am disposing of. Here is the listing of what is being liquidated. This stack is for my personal collection that will end up being divvied up by my estate after I pass. "

Probably wont help a hammer looking for a nail, but I assume it would head off all but the most adamant agents.

And dont forget the fungibility of cash. Just ask Planned Parenthood. They are REALLY good about that. "I sold this C&R gun to pay 2 car payments. That is where that money went. I just happened to now have money from my car payment bucket that I no longer need so I bought a new gun with THAT fund. " :):

Firehawk

a.k.a. Rainmaker, Rainhawk, Firemaker or whatever
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon
    Maybe he'd seen the Stretch Armstrong video when the .44 Magnum took his head off and got confused. That's about all I can come up with.
    He really thought the bullet was changing directions and blowing the lid off the buckets and flying out the top! He couldn’t understand that the bullet was pushing the water and the water was pushing the lid off the buckets. The kicker was that he really believed the military specially designed these bullets to change directions. He argued with me about it. “Look, the military specially designed these bullets to have unstable flight, the bullet wobbles and when it hits a target the wobble causes it change directions. That’s what makes it so lethal. Someone could get hit in the hand and the bullet could exit their head.”

Can’t make this up. After he explained his “physics” to me I just walked away and never went back.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    A guy with a ten year old son wanted to buy a pistol. Didn't want to fill out form because 'I have my hunting license. Look, see?'. No. You must fill out form. 'I did. Here, see?' while again showing his hunting license. The buyer really did sound sincere, and didn't get pissy when repeatedly told no. But wanted to know what license to get so he could buy a gun. 'I don't want to fill out form, I want a license to buy a gun'.

rhslover

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 6, 2012
    Store OWNER was dealing with a young woman who wanted to look at a 45 acp 1911, he tells her women can't possibly handle the recoil of a 45 (lost that sale). Second was also a owner who told me 30-30 won't shoot farther than 150 yards.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    This happened about 10yrs ago and don't know if this lgs still employs this guy that was their "gunsmith" and found out later that he was supposed to be their "Colt guy" if you had issues with a Colt revolver.
    I hadn't got all of my AR tools yet and was in a pickle as I had purchased a new barrel for my AR10 and wanted to get it installed for a competition my range was having that weekend. It came in on Wednesday and Saturday was the shoot. I called all of the lgs in the area and they were the only one to have a "gunsmith" with the tools I needed. I asked if they could get it done for me and he said no he was covered up with other work so I asked if I could come in a pay a rental fee and do it there. He said sure so I packed up everything and was a vapor trail to their door.
    When I got there the "gunsmith" was sitting at the counter with a cup of coffee bsing with a customer and said to follow him to the work area he had. It was a serious mess but he finally found the tools and said have at it and went back to his coffee and bsing at the counter. It took me about 10mins to get the job accomplished and was putting the muzzle brake on and he came back in to see my progress. He said STOP! Before you put the brake on you need to file the muzzle brake at the 6 o'clock a half moon so that the bullet wouldnt hit the brake on exit. I thought he was joking so I laughed and continued to finish installing it. He said "seriously, the bullet drops immediately after leaving the barrel and I needed to do that or issues would arise". I said you're joking right? He said no and grabbed a round file and said here let me show you. I stopped him and said dont touch my rifle and asked him if a bullet is traveling at 2500fps at the muzzle how it would drop far enough to hit the brake 1.5" away from the muzzle. He replied because it's gravity and would certainly hit if didnt do the filing. I said I would take my chances and didnt even finish installing it. Grabbed my stuff gave him the $20 he quoted me for the tool rental and headed for the door. He said stop he had to run it through the register to have a receipt of when I was there for legal purposes if any issues arose. I said fine and he rang it up and the total was $40 & change. I said wait a minute, you quoted me $20 on the phone? Wth? He says since I didn't do what he said he was charging me the normal hourly rate for his services to protect him and the shop. I said that was bs and he wouldn't be touching any of my weapons or my friends weapons if I could help it. I have never considered getting physical with a elder but that was the first time i seriously considered checking how well his denture glue worked. I paid it and left. I haven't been back to that shop since then except for the couple times I needed a few boxes of ammo that nobody in town had at the time or to see a very good friend of mine that worked there part-time for his knowledge on the CZ handguns that he is such a Wizard with.
    I had hoped for a better experience as I had a old Colt Police Positive that need some attention to run but took it a face value and found someone else to help me with it thank God.
    I'm not sure he is still working there as a "gunsmith" or salesman but my good friend isnt so I havnt been in there in the last 2yrs and don't think I'll be anytime soon. I could go on about the place as I'm suprised theyre still open but this isn't the place and wouldnt answer the OPs question.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I know you are right and I agree completely. But if the ATF disagrees (and they are a disagreeable bunch) it can still get expensive to prove you are right.
    He is correct, it isn't controversial, and it specifically states the gift exception in the instructions section of the form.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    Maybe the question should be reworded?? As asked, it seems a disqualifier if one were to be honest. 'Yes, I'm buying for someone else'. No, they're buying for themselves, but mentally attach it to buying for the gift recipient, thus the belief of buying for someone else.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Maybe the question should be reworded?? As asked, it seems a disqualifier if one were to be honest. 'Yes, I'm buying for someone else'. No, they're buying for themselves, but mentally attach it to buying for the gift recipient, thus the belief of buying for someone else.
    You're overthinking this. Think of it this way... You find a smoking deal on a used gun (or new) at your LGS. You buy it, thinking you can turn around and sell it at a profit later. Are you buying it on behalf of the future buyer? Gifting is no different. You're the buyer. Once you buy it, what you do with it is your business, as long as you weren't asked to buy it with someone else's money.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    You're overthinking this. Think of it this way... You find a smoking deal on a used gun (or new) at your LGS. You buy it, thinking you can turn around and sell it at a profit later. Are you buying it on behalf of the future buyer? Gifting is no different. You're the buyer. Once you buy it, what you do with it is your business, as long as you weren't asked to buy it with someone else's money.
    I agree. Completely. But the question has thrown many legal buyers. And per this thread, apparently some sellers too. Question 11a sounds as if buying for another person is disallowed. "Buying on the behalf of another person" can easily be read as "will someone else be using this firearm?" A genuine misunderstanding, but if answered by checking 'yes'....
    Edit: forgot to mention that it is, in fact, overthinking it. Just pointing out it's easy to misinterpret/ overthink.

GSPBirdDog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Henryville
    I heard the Master Gun Expert working behind the counter at Rural King the other day, telling a gentleman about a brand new round that came out. He was explaining to the customer that this round was 10 times better than the old 10mm Auto. He said it was a necked down 5.56 and called it a 5.7X39????? I am assuming it was the 5.7X28 because he was showing the customer a Ruger 57. The sad part is customers go in places like that for good advice with minimal firearms experience. Now don't get me wrong. The 5.7X28 is a good round IMO but it is definitely not a NEW cartridge on the market. I would still take my 10mm any day over the 5.7X28!

binkerton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    I heard the Master Gun Expert working behind the counter at Rural King the other day, telling a gentleman about a brand new round that came out. He was explaining to the customer that this round was 10 times better than the old 10mm Auto. He said it was a necked down 5.56 and called it a 5.7X39????? I am assuming it was the 5.7X28 because he was showing the customer a Ruger 57. The sad part is customers go in places like that for good advice with minimal firearms experience. Now don't get me wrong. The 5.7X28 is a good round IMO but it is definitely not a NEW cartridge on the market. I would still take my 10mm any day over the 5.7X28!
    Seems to be a running theme with that chain. Which store was it? I swear we could probably just have a Stupidest Thing You've Heard at RK thread.

GSPBirdDog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Henryville
    Seems to be a running theme with that chain. Which store was it? I swear we could probably just have a Stupidest Thing You've Heard at RK thread.
    It was the RK in Jeffersonville, IN. I don't go there very often but when I do, I always try and see what they have in stock. The more I visit the RK gun barn, the less I want to go there. Other than the gun section, I love RK.

Last edited:

pewpew2232

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 22, 2021
    Charlestown
    I was in a gun shop the other day, and the guy behind the counter was telling a first time gun buyer that it is impossible for a revolver to have a mechanical failure, and you don’t have to worry about ammo failing because you just pull the trigger to advance to the next round. He said this with the owner and other sales people right next to him. Won’t be going there again.

Top Bottom