Whats the stupidest thing you've heard at gun store/range?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    About three and a half years ago was when I purchased my first firearm. My parents had never owned guns, so growing up I hadn't learned a single thing about hunting or firearms. I hadn't the slightest idea what I was doing, so I walked into the Rural King store on the southwest side of Bloomington, thinking, "Oh, the people they have behind the gun counter will probably know their stuff. At least enough to help me pick out my first firearm, right?"

I get in the store and start talking to one of the employees behind the gun counter, explaining that I'm looking to buy my first gun; I don't want anything fancy, but would like something versatile, that I could use to shoot varmints like groundhogs and coons, but would also work for home defense in a pinch. So he hands me a 12ga Mossberg Maverick 88, and tells me it's probably just the gun I'm looking for; loaded with different sizes of shot, you could kill varmints with it or hunt birds such as waterfowl, and loaded with 00 buck it would make a decent home defense gun, plus you can even hunt deer with it using rifled slugs. So far so good, right?

So I go ahead and buy the gun and take it home, and as I'm examining my new purchase as an excited first-time gun owner, I notice something inside the barrel that starts the gears in my mind turning (this was looking at the inside of the barrel from an angle; I was pretty ignorant, but fortunately not stupid enough to start pointing the business end of a gun at my face first thing after buying it.) So I figure out how to disassemble the shotgun, at least enough to get the barrel off, and looking down the barrel now, I can see that, yes, there is definitely rifling in there. I thought to myself, "That's funny. I know that guns normally have rifling to make the bullet spin, but surely that's not going to help with a load of shot? Well, what do I know..."

Anyways, long story short, I found somebody who actually knew what they were talking about with regards to guns, and he broke the news to me that the Rural King employee had sold me a slug gun, and that yes, I technically could fire shot out of it, but it wasn't the best idea. I ended up finding a used Mossberg 500 at a LGS, with a smooth barrel and all three chokes still with it, for less than $200. Then during the gun buying panic of 2020, I was able to sell the slug gun on Armslist and break even on what I spent on it. So there was happy ending to the story, and overall, a pretty easy way to "learn the hard way" not to always trust what the guy behind the counter says.

Though I guess at the end of the day, what he told me was sort of true, in a technical sense. So maybe this story doesn't belong in this thread at all? You be the judge.

Dionesius3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2012
    Alabama
    Note:

An improper grip with the weak-hand thumb behind the slide can result in a broken or otherwise injured thumb - we all know this.

But with proper positioning, you can EASILY put the pad of a thumb behind the slide and keep it in place upon firing.

The key is inertia. If you keep the slide from moving - it's easy. If your thumb is in the way of an already moving slide, well then, inertia gonna do what inertia gonna do.
    ok captain! you continue in your fantasy dream. LOL! Hold that slide shut boy!

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    More than once!!!!

Or, I thought that felony didn't matter anymore since it was 15 years ago!
    I was doing a transfer for some young guy, he hands me his completed 4473 and I immediately noticed that he had checked the box about being a felon.

Me: did you you mean to check that box?

Him: yeah, I was convicted of a felony but I just talked to the prosecutor a few days ago and he said my record is clean now

Me: well, let’s find out

So I run him through NICS and he’s denied.

When I told him he had been denied, he asks me “so, can I just fill out another form and answer different”?

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Not a gun store but a fellow “coworker” always walked with a limp, he’s telling a story about how he got shot in the hood blah blah blah, then ends up telling us how the cops show up at his home the previous night because he’s on work release, says they are looking around and find his guns, but the cop was cool with them being there, even though he’s got a couple felonies, because they’re all registered in his wife’s name…

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I was doing a transfer for some young guy, he hands me his completed 4473 and I immediately noticed that he had checked the box about being a felon.

Me: did you you mean to check that box?

Him: yeah, I was convicted of a felony but I just talked to the prosecutor a few days ago and he said my record is clean now

Me: well, let’s find out

So I run him through NICS and he’s denied.

When I told him he had been denied, he asks me “so, can I just fill out another form and answer different”?
    I didn't think the FFL even filed it if the question that disqualified someone was answered in such a way? Sounds like that is incorrect?

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Another coworker one I just remembered, he was a former Marine, told a few stories, no heroic tall tales or any BS, and he was a gun guy, but he called magazines “clips” don’t know how many times I but my tongue on that one, but the story goes that he went and bought a new slug gun for deer hunting, him and a buddy take it to the range, he fires the first shot and it’s a hit, he can’t believe it, so he fires another and it’s a hit too, so what’s he do, puts it back in the box until it’s time to go hunting… I don’t know, I always had it preached to me to make sure you are proficient with your weapon to make a humane kill, that one just irked me.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I didn't think the FFL even filed it if the question that disqualified someone was answered in such a way? Sounds like that is incorrect?
    Well from how I read it, he is the one that called in the 4473 so :dunno:. Also it is possible to have been convicted of a felony and still have it on your record, but legally able to own/buy firearms. There are some federal financial felonies that aren't disqualifies, and a person can be convicted and have their rights restored but still be a convicted felon.

Dionesius3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2012
    Alabama

Yep, it's taught in some classes for self defense for contact distance shots to keep the slide from being pushed out of battery. You'll only get one shot without racking the slide, but one is better than none.
    better to be situationally aware and stay well out of contact distance of the perp.
    movement and creating separation is a much better strategy. Hold the slide is 1960's and 1970's advice.

Top Bottom