Whats the stupidest thing you've heard at gun store/range?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    A guy was talking about how he just bought a high dollar AR-15 and the barrel was a little loose. So he took the barrel nut off, and cleaned off the grease, then he put blue lock tight on the threads and tightened it back up.

Why would you do that?
    He'll have fun removing it later on.
    All he had to do was torque it to specification, and if it didn't tighten it up send it back in to be properly fixed.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    A guy was talking about how he just bought a high dollar AR-15 and the barrel was a little loose. So he took the barrel nut off, and cleaned off the grease, then he put blue lock tight on the threads and tightened it back up.

Why would you do that?
    All he had to do was torque it to specification, and if it didn't tighten it up send it back in to be properly fixed.
    It’s always a little surprising how people will “fix” things with zero research or knowledge. Crap, you can find most information on YouTube or a quick internet search :ugh:

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota

Why would you do that?
    Blue Loctite should be fine. That is medium strength stuff and I doubt if he will have trouble removing it. It might not even set up to full strength because the diameter is over the rated maximum for blue and it also depends on the metal surfaces - if there isn't enough copper or iron it won't activate fully.

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Blue Loctite should be fine. That is medim strength stuff and I doubt if he will have trouble removing it. It might not even set up to full strength because the diameter is over the rated maximum for blue and it also depends on the metal surfaces - if there isn't enough copper or iron it won't activate fully.
    I'll stick to grease on my barrel nut threads.

BrassBandit

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2016
    Brownsburg
    I was in a LGS in Plainfield just browsing some AR parts. This was right when Covid craziness started. Older guy walks in, goes straight to the AR’s and tells the guy, “I’m here for a FIVE FIVE SIX!” Worker pulls the first one off the shelf, and proceeds to tell the guy something along the lines of “This is one of the best AR’s out there.” It’s a Diamondback. Meanwhile, I’m an isle over and overhear this and just kind raise my eyes a bit over the isle thinking, “A Diamondback is one of the best AR’s, really? Let’s see how this goes down.” Guy looks it over, asks again to make sure that this thing will shoot FIVE FIVE SIX. Asks how much. $1200. “Alright, let’s do the paperwork.”

Hahaha, this event start to finish literally took probably 30 seconds.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    I gotta admit I have never heard the words "great price" at a store around here.
    The couple times this happened, and it has happened to me more than once, it was a combination of a sale on top of an already good price and a rebate.

Result was no sale of any firearms... "Not even one?!?!?"... "Nope."

GSPBirdDog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Henryville
    Local PD walks in gun shop to purchase a handgun. Employee hands him 4473 and officer says "Here is my badge and credentials...... I don't have to fill one of those out do I?"

Another time (Not at band camp) I was out at the farm shooting and a neighbor called the sheriff's department. Deputies were AWESOME when they approached us and started admiring the table of weaponry we had out. Right before they left, I offered any of my firearms for them to shoot. They kindly said no but one deputy said something right before he left. He meant it as a joke but had me wondering. He said " I'm not gonna run any serial numbers on your guns. I am sure you have paperwork for your short barrel rifles and suppressors". I had braces on registered pistols with suppressors on them!!!

First and foremost, I support law enforcement %200! Me and my family BACKS THE BLUE and appreciates all they do! I just don't get how SOME of these law enforcement officers are so out of touch with firearms laws. %99 of the law enforcement officers I know support the right to keep and bear arms and are true patriots. It's just the small percentile of the other ones I do not get.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Local PD walks in gun shop to purchase a handgun. Employee hands him 4473 and officer says "Here is my badge and credentials...... I don't have to fill one of those out do I?"

Another time (Not at band camp) I was out at the farm shooting and a neighbor called the sheriff's department. Deputies were AWESOME when they approached us and started admiring the table of weaponry we had out. Right before they left, I offered any of my firearms for them to shoot. They kindly said no but one deputy said something right before he left. He meant it as a joke but had me wondering. He said " I'm not gonna run any serial numbers on your guns. I am sure you have paperwork for your short barrel rifles and suppressors". I had braces on registered pistols with suppressors on them!!!

First and foremost, I support law enforcement %200! Me and my family BACKS THE BLUE and appreciates all they do! I just don't get how SOME of these law enforcement officers are so out of touch with firearms laws. %99 of the law enforcement officers I know support the right to keep and bear arms and are true patriots. It's just the small percentile of the other ones I do not get.
    What is a registered pistol?

GSPBirdDog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Henryville
    What is a registered pistol?
    So maybe I can learn something here...... I was always informed when buying firearms out of state such as stripped lowers, that they have to ship to my FFL in Indiana because a stripped lower can be built into a rifle or pistol version. With that being said, I can go to KY and purchase a factory AR15 that was made as a rifle and transport it home. If I was in KY and purchased a factory built AR15 built as a pistol w/brace, it would require shipping to my FFL in Indiana.
    I had a factory PSA AK-V with a side folding brace. Which had to go through my FFL because it's factory configuration was "pistol". AM I missing something with your question or did I use the wrong word by saying "registered"? If the AKV came in a factory rifle format and I chopped the barrel down to 9" and put a brace on it, wouldn't I be a felon??? To be legal I would have to register it as an SBR......

Top Bottom