What would you do if someone degunned you?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Are you stating that most gunshot LEO fatalities are done with their own firearms, or most LEO fatalities (for whatever reason) are done with their own firearms?

To clarify, most LEO fatalities are due to traffic accidents.

Most LEO fatalities due to gunshots are with their own firearms. As of the last time that I was interested in such things which was 2006.

One thing that does not change and that is drilled into every rookie, is that no matter the nature of the call, there is ALWAYS at least one gun there. It is the one on the responding Officers hip.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    To the OP, what type of retention holster were you wearing?

I'm curious as to who accuatlly carries with a retention holster?

If many CC, then they are probaly using an IWB hoslter with no retention.

Many OC'ers like the Raven's, but they are not retention either.

Then there's Serpa, which not many like because they are banned from many training classes.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    It seems to me there is a lot of could have, would have, should have's going on with this post. I am not sure why anyone would do what you said was done. However it does make me question who really needs the training. After all, according to your OP, you were the one disarmed. IMO it is totally unacceptable to be so unaware that someone/anyone can just snatch your weapon. Good thing for you the person was a LEO.:twocents:
    :scratch:

I was never disarmed:dunno: I stated a LEO came up behind me in a noisy and crowded area with my friends to my sides and placed his hand ON my gun. I didn't say he withdrew it. I assure you, I have met FEW people with the level of SA I maintain daily and I've learned it the hard way.:twocents:

mtgasten

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 23, 2011
    Greenfield
    Note to self:

Take a weapons retention class.
    Take a force on force class.

Rewatch the following movies:
    Jean Claude VanDamme's kickboxing movies.
    Anything Chuck Norris.
    Anything Bruce Lee.

not to get off track or anything, but you should watch IP Man 1 and 2 its about bruce lee's teacher before he was a teacher lol its an awesome movie, great martial arts in it, always makes me wanna learn Wing Chun

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    I'm curious as to who accuatlly carries with a retention holster?
    Everyone? I hope. I do. I would like to think everyone who OCs carries with a retention holster. Blackhawk Serpa isn't the only one. There's also Safariland (they have several retention lines, including the ALS and SLS).

OCing without at least a level 2 retention holster is not a good idea.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    :scratch:

I was never disarmed:dunno: I stated a LEO came up behind me in a noisy and crowded area with my friends to my sides and placed his hand ON my gun. I didn't say he withdrew it. I assure you, I have met FEW people with the level of SA I maintain daily and I've learned it the hard way.:twocents:

Well than that is a good thing. Maybe I misread as I was skimming. This is what I read-"if you had your hands full, and someone degunned you, took your mag out, and handed you back your ammo and set the gun on a table"....

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    Speaking as a civilian... If I'm carrying and someone comes up unannounced behind me attempting to or in the act of grabbing my holstered firearm,
    I WILL react as if my life were in threat; Don't care if you're 5 years old, 50 years old or a dog with opposable thumbs.

Whether or not I'd win in court over attempting to fight back a LEO, it was HIS fault for not stating his reason of being or at least who he was.

As always... I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six. You just never know...

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    ;)

Ever broken 3 of your fingers in fast and traumatic way...

Unfortunately for him his radio and firearm were now inaccessible to him. And he was not real happy that the Sheriff and I had known each other for several years, I held the phone so his boss could talk to him, while we waited for his Shift Leader and the Ambulance to arrive at the location...

Main lesson to be learned is if you are going to be a Bully, bring friends to help you do what you plan to do...

So basically if you can break a cops fingers, and get away with it, you can cut, slice, disembowel, kill a normal citizen who goes for your gun?

Holy cow. the world is a wilder and woolier place than I thought it was day before yesterday.

Its the freaking wild west out there when the guns get touched.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Everyone? I hope. I do. I would like to think everyone who OCs carries with a retention holster. Blackhawk Serpa isn't the only one. There's also Safariland (they have several retention lines, including the ALS and SLS).

OCing without at least a level 2 retention holster is not a good idea.

I don't know that I know but only a couple of people who use them.

I'm also including CCers, because a shirt is NOT retention and they are just as big a target to a trained eye.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    not to get off track or anything, but you should watch IP Man 1 and 2 its about bruce lee's teacher before he was a teacher lol its an awesome movie, great martial arts in it, always makes me wanna learn Wing Chun
    That was the OP's story he observed in a LGS. I was merely describing a SIMILAR story involving a LEO which should know better than to grab a person's gun.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    .....you can cut, slice, disembowel, kill a normal citizen who goes for your gun?

Holy cow. the world is a wilder and woolier place than I thought it was day before yesterday.

why would you treat it other wise?

Are you embarrassed that you didn't react while watching someone get their gun grabbed?

I'm curious as to why you weren't drawing your own gun the second the guys hand hit the grip.

I'm also curious if you've taken any Force on Force training?

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    why would you treat it other wise?

Are you embarrassed that you didn't react while watching someone get their gun grabbed?

I'm curious as to why you weren't drawing your own gun the second the guys hand hit the grip.

I'm also curious if you've taken any Force on Force training?

I am not surprised that people would react that way, I am surprised that when they break LEOs fingers the cops are OK with that and let them carry on.

That is not typical of what I know of injuring police.

That is what I was referring to.

As to your other question, I dont even know what Force on Force is, why it would be capitalized, and no I am not a Ninja.

I am just a guy who shoots guns for fun, and carries one for protection, I dont have lightning fast reflexes, or make split second decisions on wether an old man should live or die.

I am in the DISTINCT minority on this forum, which is full of people who can kill you with their pinky finger, draw faster than a Cowboy Quick Draw guy, kill a room full of people for looking at them wrong and sleep with 2 guns under their pillow.

I can obviously tell the difference between a life / death situation, and very innapropriate horseplay tho, so.....

yay me right?

Nobody died.

I am not in jail.

I still have my job.

Wether that makes me less of a gun-ninja... I am glad things went the way they did.

I am glad I didnt kill the guy, not embarressed.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Dom, none of us were there, YOU were. We can picture it in our heads from your vague recount but not the nuances that would make it apparent what the intent of the man would be. IMO you just got lucky as did everyone that was there that day.

The man who took the gun was an idiot even if he knew exactly what he was doing, jacking with a gun in public is moronic at best but throw in an unknown gun that someone you don't know is carrying is asking for all kinds of trouble.

To answer the OP, if that DID actually happen to me I would have to rethink a lot that I now believe about myself and I would probably have many sleepless nights afterward.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Dom, none of us were there, YOU were. We can picture it in our heads from your vague recount but not the nuances that would make it apparent what the intent of the man would be. IMO you just got lucky as did everyone that was there that day.

The man who took the gun was an idiot even if he knew exactly what he was doing, jacking with a gun in public is moronic at best but throw in an unknown gun that someone you don't know is carrying is asking for all kinds of trouble.

To answer the OP, if that DID actually happen to me I would have to rethink a lot that I now believe about myself and I would probably have many sleepless nights afterward.

You are of course, correct.

Sorry. Its a little ... emotional still in my head.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I gotta ask this, in what world is somebody grabbing your weapon possibly non threatening?

When it's a crotchety old dude in a gun shop that doesn't know where his own arrogance ends and the dangerous situation he creates by doing something so socially retarded begins.

He should still be considered a threat and beaten down even if he isn't one. Old guys have to learn too.

Top Bottom