What would you do if someone degunned you?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    None of this stuff ever happens to me.
    Oh, I was mugged once as a teenager and got away with a black eye and my keys. Lost a pack of Marlboros though. Then there was the time in No Africa when some locals who put us up for the night tried to mess with our ladies and we had to fight our way out. Oh, yeah I got into a kick boxing match with a young tough in So. Morocco (I don't know how to kick box and have bad knees). All I ever carried was a 1" swiss knife mainly for the toothpick and the scissors. Still, the only scars I carry are from surgeries, and falling out of my shoes. For some reason, I don't feel like I live in the world described here. After reading this forum for 3 months, I'm almost afraid to leave my house even if they were to remove the restraints (I'm a lot older now). Do they make walkers with gun racks? I suppose if you're a hammer, everything looks like a nail, and if your a nail, everything looks like a hammer.

p.s. I suppose from now on I will wear a knife in my socks, strap an LC9 to my shin(s) a pistol on my hip, a grenade launcher under my arm, and a silkworm missile mounted on my car. All properly holstered. Where to keep the lasershark?

p.p.s. Can we rename this forum IN PTSD

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    =
    p.s. I suppose from now on I will wear a knife in my socks, strap an LC9 to my shin(s) a pistol on my hip, a grenade launcher under my arm, and a silkworm missile mounted on my car. All properly holstered. Where to keep the lasershark?

p.p.s. Can we rename this forum IN PTSD

You will do those things if you love freedom.

And to answer your p.p.s.....

No.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    I'd say if someone has the chance to grab your weapon, you needed an increase in situational awareness or an increase in concealment.

I'm not anti-OC, I'm anti wandering around with a magic talisman on your hip that you believe will magically keep bad guys away with its mere presence.

And like the poster from SB, weapon retention is one reason why I, too, carry a TDI.

They're perfect for it. I wear mine cross draw, so I can get reverse grip on it with my left, or even draw it with my right. Although, a BUG is never a bad idea. I usually don't carry one, but this thread is making me reconsider.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...I'm not anti-OC, I'm anti wandering around with a magic talisman on your hip that you believe will magically keep bad guys away with its mere presence...

Everyone knows that OC is a scientifically proven talisman.

To call it "magical" is disingenuous at best. :rolleyes:

:): Just kidding. Your straw man refutation is silly and unoriginal - I've never yet seen such a claim made.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I'd say if someone has the chance to grab your weapon, you needed an increase in situational awareness or an increase in concealment.

I'm not anti-OC, I'm anti wandering around with a magic talisman on your hip that you believe will magically keep bad guys away with its mere presence
    Well i'm a practicing witch doctor so it's a valid reason for me to OC.

I OC my magic talisman along with a chicken's foot around my neck that has special powers. :n00b: (btw..my witch doctor name is "straw man") ;)

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I was stunned, did nothing, and just stood there like a monkey.

So I KNOW how I would react.
    So someone did this to you out on the street? Are you an OC-er? Can you tell the story to us.

If you are an OC guy and someone did this to you on the street than you need to stop OC-ing until you sharpen up your situational awareness quite a lot. A better holster is probably in order as well. Also learn weapon retention skills.

Last edited:

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    What resources do you recommend for the above suggestions ? (I'm interested in all of the above)
    Well, situational awareness is just something you have to learn on your own. Start paying attention to the comings and going of people, know where everyone is around you, see more details, etc.

There are many different level of retention holsters. I know blackhawk makes some level 2/3 holsters, there are more vendors that others can tell you about.

As far as gun retension goes, I'm sure you can learn a lot by searching for it, possibly watching some youtube videos. A gun trainer could teach it as well...someone who deals with force on force type training.

nick89302

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    While I address the following points, keep in mind I am not against OC and have done it plenty of times in the past:

CC is not a Magic lock to keep someone from taking your weapon...
    ;)

Very true, but if they don't know it is there, they can't take it.

Everyone knows that OC is a scientifically proven talisman.

To call it "magical" is disingenuous at best. :rolleyes:

:): Just kidding. Your straw man refutation is silly and unoriginal - I've never yet seen such a claim made.

And you never will see such a claim in print. In reality, we've all seen the open carrier who appears oblivious to his surroundings. We've seen posts on gun forums where proponents of open carry state one of the benefits of OC is that bad guys will see the gun and leave them alone. Maybe my choice of words is placing me in the anti-OC camp, where in reality, nothing could be farther from the truth. I'm simply an advocate of smart carry, whether that be open or concealed. A smart carrier will not be caught by surprise and disarmed.

Well i'm a practicing witch doctor so it's a valid reason for me to OC.

I OC my magic talisman along with a chicken's foot around my neck that has special powers. :n00b: (btw..my witch doctor name is "straw man") ;)

See above.

nick89302

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    I changed the way I carried when I did some training and was exposed to how much more difficult it was to keep my gun under control at 4 o'clock versus where I now carry at 2-3 o'clock. My advise is to experiment with different methods of carry and different holsters until you find something that works for you.

They're perfect for it. I wear mine cross draw, so I can get reverse grip on it with my left, or even draw it with my right. Although, a BUG is never a bad idea. I usually don't carry one, but this thread is making me reconsider.

I wear mine at about 11 o'clock depending on where exactly the belt loops are on the pants I'm wearing that day. The handle points to the left for a normal grip with my non-gun hand or a reverse grip with my right (non-gun) hand.

nick89302

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    The only CC I have problems ID'ing on a regular basis Appendix Carry...
    Not really that hard of a trick either... ;)

Funny that you mention appendix carry while I was typing out my other reply. I switched to it after being exposed to some problems amplified by carrying behind my strongside hip, and after finding a good holster.

I had tried it before and without the right holster it was, how can I put this delicately, fairly "unpleasant". I couldn't understand why or how someone could carry like that with any sort of comfort, and while I'm not in the camp that thinks you need to be so comfortable you forget you're carrying a gun, it shouldn't be as painful as stuffing a ninja star down the front of your pants either.

Last edited:

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    Well, I'd like to think that in the amount of time it would take for an aggressor to remove my primary EDC, my secondary would be introduced into the equation of who shoots first. If their intention is to kill me with my own weapon and they have succesfully relieved me of said weapon, then I am probably dead. If they take the time to remove the magazine (Do they also unchamber the round in the barrel or dump the cylinder) and place them on a table, then they will very likely take off-hand fire form a secondary weapon that has become the primary.

Tamara

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Broad Ripple, near t
    It's a good thing that someone didn't see that go down, think the grabber was a psycho about to shoot the joint up, and draw their own gun and air him out.

That alleged would-be teacher was dumber than an acre of fungus and had less of a grasp of risk avoidance than the guy who got his gun snatched. He risked his life and the life of everybody around him to "teach a lesson" he had no business teaching to a stranger he had no business laying hands on.

I hope he swallows his tongue in his sleep tonight and makes the world a safer place.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...I hope he swallows his tongue in his sleep tonight and makes the world a safer place.

Wow, nice.

It's a good thing that someone didn't see that go down, think the grabber was a psycho about to shoot the joint up, and draw their own gun and air him out.

Kinda sounds like to me the 80 year old gun grabber had better Situational Awareness:rolleyes: than anyone in the area.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I usually use a Yaqui Slide as a Holster. Not exactly what I would consider a retention holster... :D

Some Yacqui slides are actually pretty good "retention" holsters. The two I used in the past would not release the gun unless you pull in exactly the one direction that it was supposed to go. A little push or pull in a different direction and it was wedgie city. The two I used in the mid 90s were a Galco and a Hellwig. The Hellwig was especially troublesome (it was actually designed to be a combination carry/competition holster) because it had a steel frame and had zero flex. I quit using it and the Galco because I couldn't draw my own gun successfully on a consistent basis!

Some IWB holsters also offer some retention that some don't expect, especially if they have fore and aft belt attachments and a bit of a forward cant. It's tough to pull those from behind if you can't get the holster to rock a little.

There's also the issue of side fat for retention, especially with IWB holsters. It's funny, but it makes a difference.

Yeah, we shouldn't rely on those or even features of holsters that are specifically designed to retain the gun, but any little thing that can get you a little extra time to react can be beneficial.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Now, how about throwing out another wild tangent? What if that person comes up from behind you, without announcing themselves and grabs for your sidearm? You react accordingly, and it's a COP?!?

I bring this up because I've had it happen and so has another friend of mine. Although, I had the advantage of not "needing" to react.

Taking something off someone's person is theft...the cop would be guilty of that.

Top Bottom