What would you do if someone degunned you?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Something about OC being Dangerous...

Nobody knows better than a cop how dangerous OC is. They are forced to OC every working day and guys spend their days in prison learning how to disarm them. Cops don't have the luxury to spend all day learning how to not be disarmed. It is maybe practiced once every couple of years.

How many of you practice how to fend off a disarm attempt by a determined, trained attacker?

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Nobody knows better than a cop how dangerous OC is. They are forced to OC every working day and guys spend their days in prison learning how to disarm them. Cops don't have the luxury to spend all day learning how to not be disarmed. It is maybe practiced once every couple of years.
    I guess I should have billed his Department for training him in how to defend oneself and retain your weapon while OC'ing... :dunno:
    How many of you practice how to fend off a disarm attempt by a determined, trained attacker?
    I never train....
    I just sit here in my lazy boy and type on INGO... :popcorn:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...I think that scenario is hilarious. I would do that to somebody just to see the look on their face. If you are disarmed like this, why do you think you can successfully retaliate in any way?...

Before you attempt it, understand that you are gambling your life (or just a trip to the emergency room, if you're lucky) on the carrier not reacting explosively and allowing you to complete the task.

This is why gun grabs don't happen frequently - what is this guy going to do when I first grab it?

...what happens if I fail?

...what happens next if I'm successful?

People who attempt this are either dangerously arrogant and haven't considered the ass whooping or gunshots they're likely to receive

or deranged lunatics with absolutely nothing to lose.

Both deserve what they get.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    On or off duty and how did that work out?

I need to grab some popcorn, brb.:):
    On Duty. I called 911 and asked for and Ambulance at my location.
    Then I called the Sheriff and we talked about what had happened and what the CCTV would show as well for where it happened...
    Good to know Persons once in awhile.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Before you attempt it, understand that you are gambling your life (or just a trip to the emergency room, if you're lucky) on the carrier not reacting explosively and allowing you to complete the task.

This is why gun grabs don't happen frequently - what is this guy going to do when I first grab it?

...what happens if I fail?

...what happens next if I'm successful?

People who attempt this are either dangerously arrogant and haven't considered the ass whooping or gunshots they're likely to receive

or deranged lunatics with absolutely nothing to lose.

Both deserve what they get.

The scenario laid out by the OP was a successful disarm. Not an attempt.

And yes, I have disarmed folks and managed the arrest so that his possible "explosive reaction" could not happen. Some had "nothing to lose".

Not like the OP's scenario though. I still think it is funny that he could be disarmed like he described.

Please understand that lots of guys train to disarm cops so that they can kill them. They can, and have, disarmed cops and killed them with their own gun. Disarming an untrained OC'er is easy to anyone who spends years training how to do it.

I watched a in-car video once where the Officers holster and gun were ripped off his belt and the gun was used to kill the Officer. An incredible, overwhelming, focused amount of force used against someone who forgot that action always beats reaction.

Gun grabs do happen frequently. Most cops are killed with their own guns. This has always been true.

Last edited:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    The scenario laid out by the OP was a successful disarm. Not an attempt.

And yes, I have disarmed folks and managed the arrest so that his possible "explosive reaction" could not happen. Some had "nothing to lose".

Not like the OP's scenario though. I still think it is funny that he could be disarmed like he described.

Please understand that lots of guys train to disarm cops so that they can kill them. They can, and have, disarmed cops and killed them with their own gun. Disarming an untrained OC'er is easy to anyone who spends years training how to do it.

Gun grabs do happen frequently. Most cops are killed with their own guns. This has always been true.
    Is the part in bold some inside information that you can't give out any specifics on?

Is this training conducted and deployed here in the states or south of the border?

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    On Duty. I called 911 and asked for and Ambulance at my location.
    Then I called the Sheriff and we talked about what had happened and what the CCTV would show as well for where it happened...
    Good to know Persons once in awhile.

What was the deputy with broken fingers doing while you were on the phone?

The fact that you aren't dead or ****ting in a bag right now is very surprising to me.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Is the part in bold some inside information that you can't give out any specifics on?

Is this training conducted and deployed here in the states or south of the border?

It is common knowledge in the LEO and firearms training community. There are videos of cons training in disarming techniques in the "yard" in prison. And fighting skills in general.

They don't spend their days reading books and getting rehabilitated.

It is no secret. And sooner or later, lots of well trained and physically fit cons re-enter society. They are all around us.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    What was the deputy with broken fingers doing while you were on the phone?

The fact that you aren't dead or ****ting in a bag right now is very surprising to me.
    ;)

Ever broken 3 of your fingers in fast and traumatic way...

Unfortunately for him his radio and firearm were now inaccessible to him. And he was not real happy that the Sheriff and I had known each other for several years, I held the phone so his boss could talk to him, while we waited for his Shift Leader and the Ambulance to arrive at the location...

Main lesson to be learned is if you are going to be a Bully, bring friends to help you do what you plan to do...

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...I still think it is funny that he could be disarmed like he described.

Exactly my point, funny is only possible in hindsight if you are allowed unhindered success in your attempt without recourse.

Examining the probable outcome with foresight should conjure something more akin to stupid, scary, dangerous, possibly deadly. Especially if this is not a criminal you're preparing to subdue and take into custody but just another citizen you think you'd like to "teach a lesson". That would be a monumental failure of judgement even if you did pull it off.

Certainly not funny.

...Gun grabs do happen frequently. Most cops are killed with their own guns. This has always been true.

It happens to cops far more because their duties include approaching and apprehending criminals, drastically different than the goal of other armed citizens. I salute the fallen.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Unfortunately, I've heard of it happening to several people. Had it not happened to me onece I might not believe some officers are that dumb. I've experienced bad LEO situations a couple times and I certainly think the majority of them could use some more training in these matters.

It seems to me there is a lot of could have, would have, should have's going on with this post. I am not sure why anyone would do what you said was done. However it does make me question who really needs the training. After all, according to your OP, you were the one disarmed. IMO it is totally unacceptable to be so unaware that someone/anyone can just snatch your weapon. Good thing for you the person was a LEO.:twocents:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    ATM. I have to say I don't understand your point. I respect your opinion, I just don't understand your point.

Have I offended you in some way with my levity regarding the OP's disarming and his question about what he should do next? After he was already defeated in mortal combat? That is the essence of what happened to the OP after all. it was mortal combat and he lost. He is lucky to be telling the story.

The likelyhood of any of us retaining our magic wand is not very good when faced with someone like this...I doubt you or I could retain our firearm if one of these guys wacked us in the head with a baseball bat first. And they walk among us. Believe me, they do.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq_wqRCTkH4[/ame]

Last edited:

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ATM. I have to say I don't understand your point. I respect your opinion, I just don't understand your point.

Have I offended you in some way with my levity regarding the OP's disarming and his question about what he should do next?

My frustration is with the person that this hypothetical is based upon.

That person thought they'd teach another citizen a lesson in this way.

That person should be getting stitches and have lots of bruises for such an ignorant and arrogant prank.

Nothing personal intended, sorry, I just can't find an ounce of humor in it.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    The likelyhood of any of us retaining our magic wand is not very good when faced with someone like this...I doubt you or I could retain our firearm if one of these guys wacked us in the head with a baseball bat first. And they walk among us. Believe me, they do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq_wqRCTkH4
    I think this could also apply to anyone getting attacked at any time for any reason. It's no secret that there are violent criminals out there.

Last edited:

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012

Are you stating that most gunshot LEO fatalities are done with their own firearms, or most LEO fatalities (for whatever reason) are done with their own firearms?

Top Bottom