• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Im sorry if this has been posted before. I checked the search and didnt find anything. Also let me say this first I HAVE NOT SHOT ANYONE. THIS IS HYPOTHETICAL.

My question is simple, the answer... not so much.

What do you do after you shoot someone. Im not saying on accident or anything. Lets go with the, someone broke into my house scenario. That or, I was mugged on the street walking home.

1. Be sure it’s over

2. Secure the other man’s weapon

3. Call 911

4. Ignore the media

5. Call a “Criminal” attorney

6. Tell your lawyer the complete truth

7. Never change your story

I understand all the proper steps except for #5. Who do I call? (not ghostbusters). Who do you guys call? Do you have a name and phone number written down somewhere? Should I expect to be taken to jail right away? I live an hour away from my parents and dont know a single lawyer. I just want to be fully prepared if this ever happens. Im assuming that even if I win my case I will still have to pay out of pocket, how much do these lawyers cost? I just want to know what to expect if, god forbid, that day ever happens.

Any info you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
    -Ed-

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    How did you "shop around" for this attorney? I want to find one and get them in my phonebook so im not searching the yellow pages while the cops pull up to my house. How do you find out if they are good and fairly priced? I know nothing about lawyers.

Thanks.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I understand your efforts to cover yourself but I have a question. When you say #1 Be sure it’s over, is part of this making sure the BG is dead? Because I was wondering what happened to to step of rendering aid.

Not that I have all that much compassion for anyone that just forced me to shoot them, but if they aren't dead yet, rendering aid is just the right thing to do. :twocents:

phil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Bristol
    I think I'd stop at #2. As long as it's a good shoot, do you need to do anything?

I'm really asking because I'd hate to walk away and land in huge trouble for it.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    Run, hide the gun and destroy the clothes you were wearing! Then deny, deny, deny

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    How did you "shop around" for this attorney? I want to find one and get them in my phonebook so im not searching the yellow pages while the cops pull up to my house. How do you find out if they are good and fairly priced? I know nothing about lawyers.

Thanks.

I didn't shop around. I'm friends with him anyway.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    The question of lawyers, how to get them, etc., is a good one. It would be nice to have a regional list of lawyers willing and able to handle these kinds of cases.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Run, hide the gun and destroy the clothes you were wearing! Then deny, deny, deny

8. pull out a razor blade and carve another tally mark into your face.

:rolleyes: The OP is asking for some help not funny comments. :faint:

OP there is a video in this post that you need to see.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...what_to_do_when_leo_stops_you.html#post915009

I can't recall who on INGO said this I think ATM but I'm going to paraphase it as best as I remember.

When the police get to the scene just say.
    "I feared for my life. I am willing to cooperate with your investigation but I want a lawyer before I talk to anyone."

After that KEEP QUIET & SAY NOTHING ELSE! REPEAT THAT STATEMENT OVER AND OVER AND OVER".

Even if it was self-defense, even if you just sawed the life of the mayor in a public setting, even if there are witnesses saying you are the hero, etc.

!!!KEEP QUIET AND SAY NOTHING ELSE!!!!

Depending on how it occurs you may be taken to the station to processing or attempted questioning. SAY NOTHING!

Once you invoke legal advise you will get it (if you don't have an atty) they will supply one for you (but it may take some time a few days, enjoy your time in the temp cell).

In terms of ATTYs I'm not sure where you are at. In NWI we know of 2 that are criminal/gun related that are good. In Indy I know of one. PM if you want those.

Wallet IN LTCH Info with IC Codes
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo.../83645-wallet_in_ltch_info_with_ic_codes.html

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    Shoot, shovel, shut up.

As for the OP list, I would NOT touch the other guy NOR his weapon. If you have a camera, start snapping pictures/video for your own evidence.

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    :rolleyes: The OP is asking for some help not funny comments. :faint:
    the op is asking complete strangers(via the internet nonetheless), most of whom have 0 legal experience, about something that could land him in prison for the rest of his life. he gets what he gets.

however, at least if he follows my advice he might be able to intimidate someone out of taking his innocence.

GeneralCarver

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    Good points I guess. one troubles me though.

I would recommend leaving the other person's weapon on the ground where it fell or in their hand. I would not want to speak to the responding police and hand them a weapon and say the bad guy had it. That could look bad and your prints are now on it. Better leave it be.

Top Bottom