• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zibby43

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 5, 2010
    What do you say on the 911 call that you make after you have taken down the attacker/assailant?

The aspects of a self-defense shooting situation that boggle my mind the most are:

A) What if you are approached by multiple assailants, one pulls a weapon, you react and shoot, the others bug out, and while you are waiting for the police, the other assailants return armed or return armed with more of their buddies/reinforcements?

B) If it is just one assailant, and he is down, and you are waiting for the police to arrive, what do you do with your gun? How will the officers react to you if they pull up on the scene while you are still armed? What is your risk of getting shot by the police at that point?

C) Say you defend yourself with your weapon in a parking lot. The assailant is down and a confused crowd starts to gather. They stand there and stare at you while the bad guy is bleeding and you are holding your weapon, but they (the gathering crowd) didn't see the transaction go down. What do you tell these people?

Just a few thoughts.

f'nstar

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    A: I would not leave the scene, You leaving makes you look like you have something to hide. I doubt they would come back but if they did i would hope to have and extra mag or 2.:twocents:

B: Depends on if the guy is down and not getting up and i managed to move the weapon out of his reach i would reholster and wait. I would also give the 911 operator a detailed description of myself and what i am wearing. :twocents:

C: If they didn't see it i would not tell them a dang thing desides that i was defending myself.:twocents:

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I would add the step of write down your statement. this will help you remember it more clearly and it will help you get a little emotional distance from it.

I would also add the step of administer first aid until EMT's arrive. just like a soldier in the battlefield would. I know I might be in the minority on this, but its my POV.

zibby43

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 5, 2010
    A: I would not leave the scene, You leaving makes you look like you have something to hide. I doubt they would come back but if they did i would hope to have and extra mag or 2.:twocents:

B: Depends on if the guy is down and not getting up and i managed to move the weapon out of his reach i would reholster and wait. I would also give the 911 operator a detailed description of myself and what i am wearing. :twocents:

C: If they didn't see it i would not tell them a dang thing desides that i was defending myself.:twocents:

Good points. :yesway:

Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    A couple of more things. . .

Ask to go to the hospital. You'd be surprised how many people are injured in shooting incidents and don't realize it until a buddy walks up and says "You're bleeding."

Also, the stress of life or death incidents can cause people with heart conditions (known or unknown) to possibly have a heart attack. The body does funny things both during and after stressful incidents.

Also, this request precludes any interviews until you can have your attorney meet you at the ER!!!!!!!! Police Departments want to cover their a$$e$ when it comes to people possibly dying because they insisted upon an interview RIGHT NOW when a person is asking to be taken to the hospital!! Trust me on this one.

Just tell the officer, "I would like to give a statement, but only after I am seen by a doctor. I don't feel well." You're not lying, because I can assure you you won't feel well after shooting someone (unless there's something mentally/ socially wrong with you).

Feel free to let the officers know that you were the person involved in the incident. That way they know who was involved. That should be the extent of your statement until you have seen a doctor AND your attorney. END OF STORY

Vanguard.45

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Ask to go to the hospital. You'd be surprised how many people are injured in shooting incidents and don't realize it until a buddy walks up and says "You're bleeding."
    Huh...
    Never really noticed this little phenomenon before...
    Everyone I know who has been shot was very distinctly aware that they had been shot...

Also, the stress of life or death incidents can cause people with heart conditions (known or unknown) to possibly have a heart attack. The body does funny things both during and after stressful incidents.

Also, this request precludes any interviews until you can have your attorney meet you at the ER!!!!!!!! Police Departments want to cover their a$$ when it comes to people possibly dying because they insisted upon an interview RIGHT NOW when a person is asking to be taken to the hospital!! Trust me on this one.
    Not a bad excuse. I have found that if you just say I am not releasing a statement without my Attorney most LEOs are fairly understanding...

ust tell the officer, "I would like to give a statement, but only after I am seen by a doctor. I don't feel well." You're not lying, because I can assure you you won't feel well after shooting someone (unless there's something mentally/ socially wrong with you).
    How many People have you shot?!

So in your esteemed medical opinion there is something wrong with me?! Thanks...
    Feel free to let the officers know that you were the person involved in the incident. That way they know who was involved. That should be the extent of your statement until you have seen a doctor AND your attorney. END OF STORY

Vanguard.45
    I would really wait until You have consulted an Attorney before you admit to Shooting Someone...

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'm not here to give legal advice, per se, but here is something to keep in mind:
    If you "secure the weapon" by picking it up and moving it away from the suspect, you had better hope there were witnesses and/or surveillance footage of the incident.
    Otherwise, it is your word against his. And the first thing the first responding officer sees is a guy on the ground bleeding out, and a guy with two guns standing over him....

There are so many variables in a self defense shoot, it is literally impossible to compile a solid "to do" list should the unthinkable occur.
    Is the suspect still alive? Is he attempting to flee? Is he fighting? Are you wounded? Was there more than one aggressor? Is the scene drawing a crowd?
    Common sense is key here.
    Until LEO's arrive, you are essentially responsible for controlling the scene. It is in your own best interest for your defense.

I was in a situation a few years ago (before I was a police officer) where I was involved in a shooting. I was fortunate (for lack of a better word) that the entire incident was on camera.
    The suspect was down, but his handgun was still in his hand. I made the decision to approach him at gunpoint and use my boot to remove the weapon from his hand and slide it just out of his arm's reach. I then, while covering him at gunpoint, called 911 from my cell and I did not move again until the first LEO arrived on scene. My boot was still planted firmly on the suspect's weapon, and I holstered my own as soon as the first deputy entered the parking lot.
    It all worked out fine for me, but again, there are so many variables that you simply have to make your own judgment call.

A couple final thoughts...
    If you attempt to render aid to the person who just tried to kill you, you could quite possibly find yourself in a second fight for your life if the suspect is not hurt quite as bad as you thought... You are under NO legal obligation to provide medical attention. You are still in fear for your life at this point, right?
    Also, if you call your lawyer before you call 911, you will have some explaining to do. I could see a prosecutor trying to paint you as a bad guy with a guilty conscience simply because you called your lawyer first. Might not pan out in criminal court, but remember that you could find yourself in civil court as well fighting a wrongful death suit from the family.
    Just my :twocents:.
    Stay safe out there.

Excellent post. While I have never had to shoot someone, I came real close one time. My wife had a girlfriend that we were trying to help escape an abusive boy friend. She was staying at our house until we could fine her a battered womens shelter. This was over 20 years ago and had difficulty finding her help. But one night the Boyfriend showed up and was really agitated. I forced him to leave, with out the use of a firearm. But he returned a short time later, started screaming and yelling and had something in his hand. I called 911 and told the operator what was going on. I also kept repeating that I did not know what he was going to do. I told her that I had my shotgun loaded and ready becaise I had the girlfreind here and I had small children and was going to protect them, and that he appeared to have a weapon of some kind in his hand. Boy did that get her attention! The LEO's got here real quick! And I avoided having to shoot him. But in my mind I kept saying make sure you make it clear and on the tape that there was a percieved threat to myself and my family. To help in my defence if the worst happened. The saddest thing about the whole thing is that the girl eventually got back together with the Scumbag months later, don't know if things eventually worked out since we lost contact at that point. But I seriously doubt it turned out well.

kwood

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 27, 2010
    lizton/brownsburg
    you definitly need to add in your list

-Administer First Aid even if you think he is dead

you need to help you fellow man even if his intentions were to harm you and it will definitely help your case if the police show up and you are doing CPR on the guy you just shot

just my 2 cents

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    you definitly need to add in your list

-Administer First Aid even if you think he is dead

you need to help you fellow man even if his intentions were to harm you and it will definitely help your case if the police show up and you are doing CPR on the guy you just shot

just my 2 cents

I don't think so...
    My Hippocratic Oath is long since expired according to the State and the Federal Government. So I am under no Obligation to do no harm... :twocents:

Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    for Jeremy

Google search "didn't realize had been shot" and you will see all kinds of people who were shot and didn't realize it until later. There are many examples of police who have been hit by pretty substantial calibers and didn't realize it until the incident was over. It's called adrenaline. Also, we have those things called endorphins which tend to dull pain for a while until our body knows we are clear of danger. They're pretty powerful.

I was hit in the face with a ricocheting .40 caliber bullet about seven years ago and didn't realize at first I had been hit by a bullet. I knew something had happened, but I wasn't in an adrenalized state either. I initially assumed a casing had come back and smacked me in the face when I was hit. There are many instances where people have been shot or stabbed and dismiss the injury as being much less severe (it's called denial) so they never look at the point of pain until someone tells them they're bleeding.

I agree asking for an attorney is a wise thing. It just doesn't get you checked out by a doctor as quickly.

How many people I have shot is irrelevant. I can read. There are MANY accounts of people who have shot people and have to deal with the psychological aftermath. I have also read Dave Grossman's book "On Killing" and "On Combat" multiple times. You should check it out. As he discovered, intraspecies killing is a HUGE psychological boundary to cross for most people who have typical hardwiring upstairs. It is not until you cross that boundary that you find out the difficulties associated with such a journey.

I didn't say anything was wrong with you. Have you shot anybody and felt no inkling of sympathy for them or the people they leave behind? Do you want to shoot someone? If so, then something IS wrong with you.

Also, telling the officers you were the person involved in the incident is not admission of guilt. Playing the "I'm not admitting I was involved in ANYTHING here" tends to make you look as if you are being deceptive since there may be witnesses pointing you out as a shooter. Also, the fact that you are probably still carrying the weapon used in the shooting points to you as at least one of the shooters (obviously).

You can just say, "Yes, I was involved in this incident and shot the perpetrator because I feared for my life. I don't want to make any further statements without my attorney being present."

Vanguard.45

Last edited:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I was really going to let this one alone, but I decided I would throw caution to the wind when I seen the Mr Grossman comment...

Google search "didn't realize had been shot" and you will see all kinds of people who were shot and didn't realize it until later. There are many examples of police who have been hit by pretty substantial calibers and didn't realize it until the incident was over. It's called adrenaline. Also, we have those things called endorphins which tend to dull pain for a while until our body knows we are clear of danger. They're pretty powerful.
    Google?!
    Really that is your counter…
    Mine is based on life experiences... :dunno:

I was hit in the face with a ricocheting .40 caliber bullet about seven years ago and didn't realize at first I had been hit by a bullet. I knew something had happened, but I wasn't in an adrenalized state either. I initially assumed a casing had come back and smacked me in the face when I was hit. There are many instances where people have been shot or stabbed and dismiss the injury as being much less severe (it's called denial) so they never look at the point of pain until someone tells them they're bleeding.
    A ricochet has had a LOT of energy bled off of it.
    I have administered aid to a couple of People who have been shot. I can guarantee you that you will KNOW for a fact that it has happened to you, regardless of the amount of adrenaline that might be coursing around in your body. You may chose to ignore the fact that you have been shot or not.

Course I am just a Dumb Army Mechanic WTH do I know about Trauma and Trauma Management?!

How many people I have shot is irrelevant. I can read. There are MANY accounts of people who have shot people and have to deal with the psychological aftermath. I have also read Dave Grossman's book "On Killing" and "On Combat" multiple times. You should check it out. As he discovered, intraspecies killing is a HUGE psychological boundary to cross for most people who have typical hardwiring upstairs. It is not until you cross that boundary that you find out the difficulties associated with such a journey.
    LTC Grossman…
    I know him personally and fairly well…
    I suggest you find a different Subject Matter Expert to read. That is all I will say on the matter of Mr. Grossman…

Of coarse your mileage might be different.

I didn't say anything was wrong with you.
    Yes, you did…
    Have you shot anybody and felt no inkling of sympathy for them or the people they leave behind?
    Do I feel any sympathy for them?!
    Let me think…
    Not even one little itty bitty bit of it.
    Do you want to shoot someone? If so, then something IS wrong with you.
    Do I want to shoot someone?!
    There is a whole lot of People I would not mind Shooting. There is a whole group of People I would pay good money to shoot. There is even a small group of People I would like to shoot everyday.

Is there anything wrong with me?!
    I don’t think so. Neither does several Doctors and various other Professionals.

Might be something wrong with you though?! I mean I know for a fact there is nothing wrong with me. ;)

Last edited:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Why because I have no problems with doing what needs done?!

or

Because I think Mr. Grossman is a hack?!

or

Because I may have been somewhere and done something in my life?!

Top Bottom