• what would you do about this?

• Total voters

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I sort of see where you are coming from but lets try this. When you have a few drinks and get in your car, you have broken the law and are by definition, a criminal. If you are carrying and have 10 shots of tequila, call a cab and go home without any incident you are just a drunk citizen who happen to be legally carrying a firearm.

why? because every person that gets drunk becomes violent? i dont see what is irresponsible about drinking and carrying.

Especially after having a few. LOL!

yes because not every looses control after a few drinks.

Because drinking, even just one beer, clouds your judgement to some degree...one bad decision is all it takes for a trip to the slammer.

smitty12b

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Because drinking, even just one beer, clouds your judgement to some degree...one bad decision is all it takes for a trip to the slammer.

I guess using this logic no one should keep a gun on the nightstand or by the bed. When you are woken up from a sound sleep your judgement,motor skills and vision are impaired.

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana
    In 2010...10,228 people were killed in drunk driving accidents in the U.S. How many law abiding gun owners got drunk and killed people that year? I know I sure didn't.

Once again, wielding one deadly weapon while intoxicated is ok but another is not? I don't care about statistics, an incident happening once is one to many when it happens to you.

I am all for self defense and your right to retain it, I just hope I am never around you when you need to exercise it under the influence. Hell look at the NYPD lately, they hit 9 innocents and they were sober......I think

If your purpose for carrying is to have the tools to save your life if needed, you are self defeating by making the most important tool impaired via alcohol and endangering others in the process. If you are too impaired to drive a car you are sure as hell too impaired to make an accurate hit with innocents around.

I understand you have the right to defend yourself, it's the others around you when you need to do it intoxicated that could become collateral damage.

Disclaimer: I am not trying to be all high and mighty, I am by no means an army sniper, even anywhere near a competition shooter, pale in comparison to the carry experience of most of the members of this forum and still have much to learn. I just don't think adding mental impairment to any skill level involving the employment of deadly weapons is a good idea. I also do not want to convey that I am against having some hootch and unwinding. I feel that when doing so, it's impossible to not give up some measure of awareness and ability.

Finally, stuffing guns unholstered down ones shorts while drunk in a restaurant parking lot is just idiotic. Natural selection is a good thing, I would not call the cops as he has broken no law but the behavior might self resolve in the future.

Last edited:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Comparing drunk driving to carrying while drinking/drunk is a bit off. If I go out tonight and get trashed and then try to drive home there is a good chance that I or worse, someone else will be injured or worse. I have been carrying and drinking for years and as far as I know I have never shot anyone.

Lot of drunks of all varieties say the same thing. "I've been....what ever they like to do while they drink... and I've never killed any one."

They NEVER put the "YET" on there because they are special.

Somemedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've carried in a few taverns. I rarely drink when I am... I may have a single beer. I'm sure that were I involved (or any of us) in a self defense situation and there was a hint of drinking involved I have no doubt there would be a witch hunt, even if it were a "clean" shoot.

Pepsi ain't so bad...

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana
    Well currently in Indiana he doesn't and no-one decides that other than him or her self if they choose to. I just don't think it's a very good idea to carry to protect yourself and then get tanked.

The mind set of "I am armed and my intention is to be aware of what is happening around me so that I can best protect myself should the rare case ever arise" and "WOOOOOOOO time to get faced!" are not very compatible. Not illegal here, just not something I would choose to do.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI

Lot of drunks of all varieties say the same thing. "I've been....what ever they like to do while they drink... and I've never killed any one."

They NEVER put the "YET" on there because they are special.

ok, so, you are saying, we should mind our own business, then state that lots of drunks claim that they never killed anyone "YET". So, I should mind my own business when I see a drunk, falling over crawling into a car, cause they have never killed anyone yet?
    As I stated, its legal in Indiana, and I was just curious what the others in INGO would do, this is not my video. I do enjoy watching his video, cause he makes some great ones, besides just this one.
    Just curious, you say one thing, then on the next post turn around and change your position, kinda has me scratching my head.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    ok, so, you are saying, we should mind our own business, then state that lots of drunks claim that they never killed anyone "YET". So, I should mind my own business when I see a drunk, falling over crawling into a car, cause they have never killed anyone yet?
    IF that's what I ment then that's what I would have said. I meant what I SAID not what you wish I'd said so you could work yourself up in a tizzy about it.
    As I stated, its legal in Indiana, and I was just curious what the others in INGO would do, this is not my video. I do enjoy watching his video, cause he makes some great ones, besides just this one.
    Just curious, you say one thing, then on the next post turn around and change your position, kinda has me scratching my head.

I didn't change my position at all and I didn't even watch the video not do I care what some one else's opinion is. I think for myself rather than watching for which way "the wind is blowing" before I decide things.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    there is a reason the police cant charge you with a DUI unless you take a breathalyzer.

That's incorrect. I have to OFFER you a certified test, I can and have locked up people who refused. You can also be locked up for DUI for narcotics, and those aren't going to show on a "breathalyzer".

On topic, assuming that this occurred in Indiana I wouldn't have made contact with the guy and would have just kept a close watch on him. Based on the info in the video, he hasn't violated any laws in Indiana. Displaying a weapon isn't illegal, simply being intoxicated in public without other factors is no longer illegal, etc.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    The video never said where it was from, and I am pretty sure that he is not from Indiana, and no telling where the guy sending the question was from either.
    Thanks all, some great answers and discussion.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    ... on the other hand, booze and firearms never mix with GOOD results.
    Fact or your opinion? If you presenting it as fact, as you have certainly implied, I would like to see a citation.

I can personally counter to that opinion. Booze, when handled responsibly, does not instantly make guns more dangerous than they are. Additionally, just because booze makes some people lose all control does not mean it makes others lose all control. IMHO a responsible drinker can consume alcohol without impairing his judgement and/or motor skills to a great degree. As a matter of fact, I know many people that drink a lot and can still function as if they were sober. I also know some people that can't even drink 3 drinks without losing all control of their inhibitions and thoughts. It has a LOT more to do with the mentality of a person than the amount of alcohol they have consumed. As a matter of fact, I've been there and done that with alcohol; I was once a younster in college. I can remember a particular incident when I had a bit too much to drink and I don't think doing anything with guns even crossed my mind even though I had them in my room and one in my car. Rather, in my complete state of total lack of control and drunken stupidity I made the decision that I had taken it a bit too far and that I needed to go sleep it off, and my fiance gave me a ride home. I didn't do anything stupid before that decision and I didn't wreak any havoc, as a matter of fact, as I got more intoxicated I withdrew further from the situation because I didn't want to be involved in anything stupid. Sure, there are plenty of people that would make the opposite decision and decide thats all the more reason to stay and party and wreak havoc on the place, but there are just as many responsible drinkers that you never notice or never hear about because they quietly realize they pushed their limits and they need to withdraw and sleep it off.

That is only an example... the bad folks give everybody a bad name... and it's not always deserved...

I did not watch the video so I have no comment that applies directly to the video.

Disclaimer: I have carried while under the effects of alcohol and see no problem with doing so in the future provided sane, smart decisions are still made under that state.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Fact or your opinion? If you presenting it as fact, as you have certainly implied, I would like to see a citation.

I can personally counter to that opinion. Booze, when handled responsibly, does not instantly make guns more dangerous than they are. Additionally, just because booze makes some people lose all control does not mean it makes others lose all control. IMHO a responsible drinker can consume alcohol without impairing his judgement and/or motor skills to a great degree. As a matter of fact, I know many people that drink a lot and can still function as if they were sober. I also know some people that can't even drink 3 drinks without losing all control of their inhibitions and thoughts. It has a LOT more to do with the mentality of a person than the amount of alcohol they have consumed. As a matter of fact, I've been there and done that with alcohol; I was once a younster in college. I can remember a particular incident when I had a bit too much to drink and I don't think doing anything with guns even crossed my mind even though I had them in my room and one in my car. Rather, in my complete state of total lack of control and drunken stupidity I made the decision that I had taken it a bit too far and that I needed to go sleep it off, and my fiance gave me a ride home. I didn't do anything stupid before that decision and I didn't wreak any havoc, as a matter of fact, as I got more intoxicated I withdrew further from the situation because I didn't want to be involved in anything stupid. Sure, there are plenty of people that would make the opposite decision and decide thats all the more reason to stay and party and wreak havoc on the place, but there are just as many responsible drinkers that you never notice or never hear about because they quietly realize they pushed their limits and they need to withdraw and sleep it off.

That is only an example... the bad folks give everybody a bad name... and it's not always deserved...

I did not watch the video so I have no comment that applies directly to the video.

Disclaimer: I have carried while under the effects of alcohol and see no problem with doing so in the future provided sane, smart decisions are still made under that state.

Very true, nothing is ever 100%. However, operating firearms while impaired, is not always a wise decision. Just like operating vehicles or heavy machinery is not always wise while you are impaired. I know some people that can hold their drinks way better then others, but even they say, firearms and drinking do not mix. Not saying that you cannot defend yourself, but probably shouldn't be playing with them. :twocents:

Top Bottom