• ...and so much more!
  • what would you do about this?

• Total voters

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Trick question, it's not about the alcohol, this is another, tell Mr. Burris to pull his shirt over the Glock when it's stuffed into basketball shorts thread; don't want sheep getting scared.

I finally took the time to watch the video. Probably wouldn't have called the cops, but probably wouldn't have followed him into Applebee's either. While being drunk with a gun isn't illegal, being drunk in public and acting in a specific manner is, and by the description given in the video, it's hard to tell what "obvious he was drunk by the way he handled his gun" really is, but presumably enough to alarm the question writer. It's a judgement call he had to make and from the snips we have, not one I think the totality of the circumstances is conveyed in; so to judge him would be more a measure on benefit of the doubt than equal situation. If it were to be to the point I'd contact the police it would be because of imminent danger; which waving a Glock around may constitute, but being slow in the process of holstering (yeah they make ones you can't see under shorts) wouldn't.
    IC 7.1-5-1-3
    Public intoxication prohibited; failure to enforce by a law enforcement officer
    Sec. 3. (a) Subject to section 6.5 of this chapter, it is a Class B misdemeanor for a person to be in a public place or a place of public resort in a state of intoxication caused by the person's use of alcohol or a controlled substance (as defined in IC 35-48-1-9), if the person:
    (1) endangers the person's life;
    (2) endangers the life of another person;
    (3) breaches the peace or is in imminent danger of breaching the peace; or
    (4) harasses, annoys, or alarms another person.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Forget about the drunk part. Mexican carry in gym shorts is a danger to one and all within range. It'd be worth a MWG call to have an officer educate him. If public intox was discovered, so be it.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Man, im impressed. Looking at the pool results, and the debate going on in here. Great to see. Its a hard call, as there is not a necessary right or wrong answer. Course, actually being boots on the ground and having it happen in front of you, might be a little different as to what someone would actually do, instead of sitting behind the keyboard and having a little more time to think about it. I know that I (like the majority of INGO) "wargames" different scenarios, and what to do when A happens, or B happens, but, I have to say, this is not one that I had previously thought of.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Definitely MYOFB.

I don't carry when drinking in public (the maybe 1 time a year I do so) and I also remove my EDC from my belt when drinking at home (I still have it close by though).

With that being said, you don't give up your right to defend yourself from a BG just because you are intoxicated.

Indy2Tex

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Okay, I may get flamed for jumping in here because I don't live in Indiana any longer but here goes...

What state did this happen in?

This situation wasn't reported by Sarah Brady or her group (the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence) but by a concealed carry permit holder. He reported someone who was not concealing a firearm and was intoxicated.

The guy got out of his car with the gun in his hand. (Illegal in Texas)

The guy was acting in a drunken manor, leading a sober person to think the person was intoxicated while carrying a firearm. (Carrying a firearm while intoxicated is illegal in Texas)

Some have suggested they would try to reason with the person and suggest they put their gun in the vehicle. LOL! You've not tried to reason with some of the drunks I know. It can be seriously dangerous.

No disrespect to Sgt.Striker (post #26) or his father who "has Meniere’s disease which affects the equilibrium and sometimes when he is walking he appears to be drunk" but if a policeman observes Sgt. Striker's father or some other person who appears to be drunk, the policeman is only doing his job if he questions that person. The person can explain their medical condition and then the policeman can decide what to do next but based solely on observation, the policeman is correct in checking out whether or not the person is publicly intoxicated.

At least in some states, if a person is exhibiting intoxicated behavior and exhibiting a firearm, they cannot complain if someone calls the police to check them out.

Private property is not the issue; the guy was on public streets and sidewalks before entering a private establishment.

Post #67, "you don't give up your right to defend yourself from a BG just because you are intoxicated." If you are at home, you are correct. If you left your property and drove intoxicated on public streets and went to a public gathering place, huh, think again.

If you see a driver driving down the highway swerving all over the place, would it be wrong to call the police to pull the driver over? There's no telling how many lives you might save by doing so. Sure, you can just save yourself and get out of his way but is that what you'd like someone else to do if you were in the violator's trajectory?

I can't fault the person for calling the cops.

Alcohol and firearms don't mix well. Period. Don't give the Brady bunch any "ammunition" to screw the 2nd amendment.

Okay, that's my two cents.
    :)

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    The guy in the letter said that he could tell by the persons mannerisms that he was intoxicated. He saw the person with a pistol placed in his waist band. Why would anyone want to sit in a public establishment with an intoxicated person with a firearm? And for everyone to say that this person has done nothing wrong, you are wrong. It is against the law to be in a public place intoxicated. And before anyone says, "he was on private property." you're correct, he was on private property, open to the public, which he can be arrested for public intoxicication and should have.
    You all are for 2nd amendment rights so much, as am I, but I can't believe that this is the type of person that you want representing your rights, this is the exact thing that gives gun owners a bad name and you all condone it. Not to mention, all of you would sit back and let him become more intoxicated and drive away? The guy in the video said something like, "you'd have a hard time finding anyone to disagree with him calling." Well, he obviously hadn't ever been on this forum. Good grief!:noway:

i think i missed that part in the video. can you give me to time in video where he said that? no one represents me but me. was the guy drinking more there? was that in the video?

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    The way I look at it is, we as gun owners are to be responsible law abiding citizens but being drunk with a firearms is irresponsible at the very least.

why? because every person that gets drunk becomes violent? i dont see what is irresponsible about drinking and carrying.

Indy2Tex

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    yes because not every looses control after a few drinks.

I hear ya. In Texas it's a matter of blood alcohol content.... it's illegal to drive while intoxicated and it's illegal to carry while intoxicated. The number of drinks it takes for person A to cross that line may be different than the number of drinks it takes for person B.

Then again, if either person A or B is getting out of their car openly carrying a handgun and exhibiting drunken behavior, they can expect a chat with a LEO.

At least in Texas. I can't speak for driving and gun slinging while intoxicated in other states.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    I know in Texas you can carry in restaurants, but not in bars as well. Sadly, he did not say the state, and his videos go out around the country at least. We are operating that he is in Indiana, since it would be, what would we do sort of situation. I was stationed in Texas awhile, so I know some of the carry laws there. Funny how everyone thinks Texas has the best gun laws in the nation, but actually, so many other states have way better laws for the citizens allowing them to carry.

Indy2Tex

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    I know in Texas you can carry in restaurants, but not in bars as well. Sadly, he did not say the state, and his videos go out around the country at least. We are operating that he is in Indiana, since it would be, what would we do sort of situation. I was stationed in Texas awhile, so I know some of the carry laws there. Funny how everyone thinks Texas has the best gun laws in the nation, but actually, so many other states have way better laws for the citizens allowing them to carry.

Yes, you can carry (not openly) in a restaurant in Texas (but not if you are intoxicated).

I agree with you.... Indiana is much more gun-friendly than Texas. It surprised me when I started looking at the laws.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Yes, you can carry (not openly) in a restaurant in Texas (but not if you are intoxicated).

I agree with you.... Indiana is much more gun-friendly than Texas. It surprised me when I started looking at the laws.

I was too. Glad I will be getting my Indiana LTCH soon. Have a couple other expenses that have to get taken care of first. Glad I did not get the permit down there, was way too expensive. Indiana would have recognized it, and Im stationed here, so it wouldnt have been that problem, just the amount of money and everything else that they wanted there.

Luke76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Lafayette
    I don't think I would've called the cops in this situation, however I would've definitely been watching the guy like a hawk. While any one of the factors alone would've grabbed my attention; mexican carry a glock, being drunk walking through a parking lot with a gun in his hand, and it seems like the guy was moving around the restaurant and not setting in one place. The combination of all of them would've definitely had me on edge. I don't think far enough to call the cops, but would definitely not be taking my eye off of him.

Just last night I went out to celebrate a friend's birthday and was CCing. I had a few to many drinks and my wife drove home, but at no time was I pulling out or touching my firearm. There was a point where I was in the bathroom adjusting my holster and tightening my belt, however I was simply moving it up a little higher and the gun never left the holster and my hand never touched the grip. A person walked in as I was doing it but I'm not sure they even noticed. If they did, I thank them for not calling the police and making a fun birthday get together less enjoyable.

Some people would say leave it in the car, but I really don't want a loaded weapon in my car and take a chance that someone would break in and get it. I do not have a safe storage place in the car so I think it was better on my side and left alone. This was at the BW3s in West Lafayette, and that parking lot has had issues in the past anyway.

Top Bottom