• Total voters

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    How do you do that?

You: "Hey buddy, maybe you should put your gun in your car, get some coffee, and sober up!"

Him: "Oh yeah, Mabey you should *#%* off and die!"

You: ".........."?

That question is answered in my post already. I'm personally not too tolerant of or sympathetic to people who do things which may jeopardize what portion of our 2A rights we're currently still given the privilege of retaining.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Actually, it'd go more like "I'm cool with carrying guns legally and all, but it looks like you've been drinking, so maybe it might be a good idea not to carry it right now--especially like that".

Sgt.Striker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    unless the man was threatening someone or acting aggressively i would have done nothing. there is a reason the police cant charge you with a DUI unless you take a breathalyzer. the reason is that no person i have ever heard of is capable of determining someones BAC by looking at them. maybe the "Drunk" guy has some sort of neurological condition that causes him to sway when he walks (unlikely i know but hear me out). my dad has menieres disease which affects the equilibrium and sometimes when he is walking he appears to be drunk(even though ive never seen him drunk )if someone saw him with his .45 on his belt and called the police just because he wasnt walkin so straight id have a problem with it. why potentially ruin someones night by causing them unneeded harrassment by police? and until they make a law stating which ways of carry are acceptable and which are not then the method of carry is irrelevant. btw id never do that i have more common sense but its not illegal.

Last edited:

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Buy him another round then offer him some help home.
    I get most my handguns this way.
    (and you think I go for the women?):D

Not just Drunk but just "Drinking" while armed.
    It's legal but not the "correct" thing to do for some people.

Why treat a drunk any different if he's carrying or not?
    - If he's a fall down drunk or walking into traffic or starting fights then you are a good witness while calling the authorities. In this state he's a harm to himself and others, armed or not.

- A tipsy drinker keeping to himself should be left alone, although if you noticed he's armed, you might want to keep an eye on him but not for your safety (unless he starts cleaning his gun on the bar) but for his safety. Drunk people usually loose their situational awareness after a few shots or so.

Of course most drunks will tell you that they are as "Hawk as a Sharp" when drinking.
    Fool.gif

smitty12b

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Comparing drunk driving to carrying while drinking/drunk is a bit off. If I go out tonight and get trashed and then try to drive home there is a good chance that I or worse, someone else will be injured or worse. I have been carrying and drinking for years and as far as I know I have never shot anyone.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Thanks all for chiming in, and debating. As he pointed out, its hard to say, but I was curious as I was thinking about it myself, as what would I do. As I had stated on the video, its not illegal, but pretty irresponsible. Keep an eye on him, I dont think I would have called the cops, but it would be a bit harder to mind my business, especially with the way he was carrying. Granted, I know that isn't illegal either, but not safe. Add some drinking in there, goes to the bathroom and blows something off, doesnt look good for gun carriers. On the other hand, I surely wouldnt want to the police to interdict in every part of our lives, especially babysitting us when we are not doing anything illegal, even if its a little unsafe. So many other "sports" and past times come to mind, and I do not think i would want them harassing people there either. I thought it was a pretty good puzzler. Im going to keep this going and see what else we can come up with.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    There is that as well. I thought it was a good question. I had read that its not illegal in Indiana, on the other hand, booze and firearms never mix with GOOD results. Also, what the guy was doing in the video, does not sound like would be a good thing either. However, I do not know about calling the police out to solve everything in the world either.

I was just given the standard INGO response. I don't like questions like this because no answer is correct or incorrect.

Solitaire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Indy
    I think this is very situation dependent.

If he's on his property, he has every right to be a drunk. If he's blitzed and trying to stick a Glock down his waistband, I think I'd get my camera ready for a YouTube gold moment.

If he is threatening, unruly or seems to be so drunk that he is incoherent, then a call to the police may be in order. Along with a good bit of distance.

For those that think that drinking and carrying are not illegal, well, that depends. Public intoxication is illegal everywhere in Indiana, regardless of whether one is armed or not.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    I think this is very situation dependent.

If he's on his property, he has every right to be a drunk. If he's blitzed and trying to stick a Glock down his waistband, I think I'd get my camera ready for a YouTube gold moment.

If he is threatening, unruly or seems to be so drunk that he is incoherent, then a call to the police may be in order. Along with a good bit of distance.

For those that think that drinking and carrying are not illegal, well, that depends. Public intoxication is illegal everywhere in Indiana, regardless of whether one is armed or not.

From the video, they said he was at the local Applebee's. Which is private property, so he might be allowed to, however, he was also in his own car before he went in, and was already acting drunk before going to get a couple more. Could even go into the whole drunk driving when he goes to leave as well.

Solitaire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Indy
    From the video, they said he was at the local Applebee's. Which is private property, so he might be allowed to, however, he was also in his own car before he went in, and was already acting drunk before going to get a couple more. Could even go into the whole drunk driving when he goes to leave as well.

I didn't watch the video, just making a general comment. However, restaurants, stores, etc. are places of public resort for the purposes of the public intoxication law, despite the fact that they are privately owned. Or at least thats what they lead you to believe in criminal justice classes. Case law changes all the time. Lawyers are a flighty and unpredictable bunch.

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    Assuming "the guy" you are referring to is the drunk guy and not the snitch, this has got to be the single worst post i have ever read.

If you are drunk, you are not aloud to drive for a reason. Alcohol impairs your judgment and motor skills and reduces your cognitive abilities to that of a moron.

We have thread upon thread about how the real safety for any gun is between the ears, if the mind isn't right then the person should NOT have a gun on their person.

To see the situation and not do anything is not only irresponsible but also dangerous. If the same guy stumbled drunk to his car, I sure hope you'd do something.

i was referring to the guy with the gun in his shorts. too much alcohol impairs your motor skills. the guy was stumbling? where was that in the video?

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    i was referring to the guy with the gun in his shorts. too much alcohol impairs your motor skills. the guy was stumbling? where was that in the video?

The first post has a video, although it does not show what happens, he is reading from an email from a someone that asked the firearm blogger a question. He mentions that the guy was already stumbling and showing impaired judgement going up to the Applebee's. To include shoving a glock mexican style down his pants/sweats. As someone else pointed out, would have been good to film, just in case this guy decided to go for a Darwin award and blow something important off

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    The first post has a video, although it does not show what happens, he is reading from an email from a someone that asked the firearm blogger a question. He mentions that the guy was already stumbling and showing impaired judgement going up to the Applebee's. To include shoving a glock mexican style down his pants/sweats. As someone else pointed out, would have been good to film, just in case this guy decided to go for a Darwin award and blow something important off

he never said that. he said "it was apparent this guy was drunk" and "you can tell he was drunk" but never said anything about how he thought the guy was drunk.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I volted "other". My first impression was "mind my own business" but with one exception. I would not start a conversation with a drunk armed man. However, if I thought it was warranted, I might warn somebody about him. Can't think of a reason to call the police unless there was some violence already involved or emminent.

Top Bottom