• Total voters

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    he never said that. he said "it was apparent this guy was drunk" and "you can tell he was drunk" but never said anything about how he thought the guy was drunk.

Tried to Rep you. Apparently I misunderstood, or got it and another mixed up. Great catch.
    As others have said, probably best to keep an eye on him, but, with this, there really is not much right or wrong side to pick.

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana
    Comparing drunk driving to carrying while drinking/drunk is a bit off. If I go out tonight and get trashed and then try to drive home there is a good chance that I or worse, someone else will be injured or worse. I have been carrying and drinking for years and as far as I know I have never shot anyone.

So your not ok with drinking and operating one deadly weapon (your car) ( I agree with you). On the same hand you are ok with drinking, being in possession of and potentially operating, under the influence, a different one (your gun) which has a much more specific purpose. I would love to hear your logic on this.

Last edited:

JimmyR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Clark County
    The POTENTIAL for trouble (which is what you have when mixing alcohol and guns) cannot be punished, only troublesom acts. It would be like me saying that Tim Tebow should be the NFL MVP because he has the POTENTIAL to be great one day.

Now, having not seen the video (since I can't watch it at work), its possible he could be charged with public intoxication, unrelated to his firearm. To me, however, if he is not posing a threat to himself or others, why do I need to ask for assisstance beyond simply "tattling."

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I have no tolerance for drunks in public, armed or not. The gun is not the problem, but the car he might drive away in is. That might just be your family he/she drives into and kills!

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    There's so much fail in the responses in this this thread that it's incredible!:facepalm:

i agree

the guy didnt even know for sure that he was drunk and just called the cops for no good reason. i hope no one here gets mad when someone calls the cops on someone oc'ing.

TheReaper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2012
    Southeastern IN
    i agree

the guy didnt even know for sure that he was drunk and just called the cops for no good reason. i hope no one here gets mad when someone calls the cops on someone oc'ing.

The guy in the letter said that he could tell by the persons mannerisms that he was intoxicated. He saw the person with a pistol placed in his waist band. Why would anyone want to sit in a public establishment with an intoxicated person with a firearm? And for everyone to say that this person has done nothing wrong, you are wrong. It is against the law to be in a public place intoxicated. And before anyone says, "he was on private property." you're correct, he was on private property, open to the public, which he can be arrested for public intoxicication and should have.
    You all are for 2nd amendment rights so much, as am I, but I can't believe that this is the type of person that you want representing your rights, this is the exact thing that gives gun owners a bad name and you all condone it. Not to mention, all of you would sit back and let him become more intoxicated and drive away? The guy in the video said something like, "you'd have a hard time finding anyone to disagree with him calling." Well, he obviously hadn't ever been on this forum. Good grief!:noway:

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    The way I look at it is, we as gun owners are to be responsible law abiding citizens but being drunk with a firearms is irresponsible at the very least.

smitty12b

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    So your not ok with drinking and operating one deadly weapon (your car) ( I agree with you). On the same hand you are ok with drinking, being in possession of and potentially operating, under the influence, a different one (your gun) which has a much more specific purpose. I would love to hear your logic on this.

In 2010...10,228 people were killed in drunk driving accidents in the U.S. How many law abiding gun owners got drunk and killed people that year? I know I sure didn't.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    You last couple guys said much better what I was trying to say here.

That question is answered in my post already. I'm personally not too tolerant of or sympathetic to people who do things which may jeopardize what portion of our 2A rights we're currently still given the privilege of retaining.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    The guy in the letter said that he could tell by the persons mannerisms that he was intoxicated. He saw the person with a pistol placed in his waist band. Why would anyone want to sit in a public establishment with an intoxicated person with a firearm? And for everyone to say that this person has done nothing wrong, you are wrong. It is against the law to be in a public place intoxicated. And before anyone says, "he was on private property." you're correct, he was on private property, open to the public, which he can be arrested for public intoxicication and should have.
    You all are for 2nd amendment rights so much, as am I, but I can't believe that this is the type of person that you want representing your rights, this is the exact thing that gives gun owners a bad name and you all condone it. Not to mention, all of you would sit back and let him become more intoxicated and drive away? The guy in the video said something like, "you'd have a hard time finding anyone to disagree with him calling." Well, he obviously hadn't ever been on this forum. Good grief!:noway:

So, because someone "thinks" I am drunk, I am drunk!? And deserve to have the police called?

And by your post, it seems that you think we should call the police every time we see someone that we think is drunk in a public place? After all, it is illegal!?
    So each time I walk into a bar and see someone who has obviously been drinking for a while, I should call and report a drunk in public?
    Sorry, not gonna do it!
    Now if I see an obvious drunk get in the drivers seat, I will call. If I see an obvious drunk MIS-HANDLING a gun, bet your ass I'm calling, or doing something about it!
    But this guy walks into a restaurant, goes to the bathroom and sits down at a table (I don't think they said he sat at the bar!), what reason do you have to call the police and give this guy a hard time?

And lastly, How is this guy "representing your rights"?:dunno:

TheReaper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2012
    Southeastern IN
    So, because someone "thinks" I am drunk, I am drunk!? And deserve to have the police called?

And by your post, it seems that you think we should call the police every time we see someone that we think is drunk in a public place? After all, it is illegal!?
    So each time I walk into a bar and see someone who has obviously been drinking for a while, I should call and report a drunk in public?
    Sorry, not gonna do it!
    Now if I see an obvious drunk get in the drivers seat, I will call. If I see an obvious drunk MIS-HANDLING a gun, bet your ass I'm calling, or doing something about it!
    But this guy walks into a restaurant, goes to the bathroom and sits down at a table (I don't think they said he sat at the bar!), what reason do you have to call the police and give this guy a hard time?

Nope, I didn't say call on everyone. If I see an intoxicated person walking down the highway, I don't care, it's called natures natural selection, but someone obviously intoxicated with a firearm, in a public place, yes, a call should be made. If you think that it's OK for an intoxicated person to be intoxicated and fumble F$@k around with a pistol with others around, fine, I would hope that the negligent shot strikes you or your family member, not mine.
    And you guys make it sound like you need a doctorate to recognize and intoxicated person, it's not difficult at all.:rolleyes:

smitty12b

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    The way I look at it is, we as gun owners are to be responsible law abiding citizens but being drunk with a firearms is irresponsible at the very least.

I sort of see where you are coming from but lets try this. When you have a few drinks and get in your car, you have broken the law and are by definition, a criminal. If you are carrying and have 10 shots of tequila, call a cab and go home without any incident you are just a drunk citizen who happen to be legally carrying a firearm.

TheReaper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2012
    Southeastern IN

Sorry, not gonna do it!

If you don't think when the headlines read "Intoxicated man carrying pistol kills child in Applebee's" that he doesn't represent all pro 2A individuals, you're not too bright!:n00b:

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    The person has not done anything against the law. Handle the situation exactly as you would for someone who is not drinking.

What if it were a state that it was illegal to carry while drinking? You would call, right?

Personally, I agree with the guy in the video. He phrased it very well. It's all on tolerance levels. I would not have called, but I would have been very aware of him. Other people I know, would have called just to have police come and make sure everything was on the up and up. I know I'll catch some flak for this, but if someone really sets off my radar, I have no problem calling to have someone investigate it.

Vic_Mackey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Beastside
    Comparing drunk driving to carrying while drinking/drunk is a bit off. If I go out tonight and get trashed and then try to drive home there is a good chance that I or worse, someone else will be injured or worse. I have been carrying and drinking for years and as far as I know I have never shot anyone.

I cannot agree more.

I carry 24/7, bar or not. Judge all you want, seems most people have an opposite opinion or just chime in the popular one to be in the cool kid crew or whatever. Either way, prior to the epic range time, I got my practice carrying impaired from years of sleep deprived combat patrols in crappy parts of the world, where you might as well be considered drunk. Never had a single AD/ND/Friendly Fire incident. I know my limits for driving, and just
    about always have the lady drive. But the gun stays on my hip. Always.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GlockFrenzy
    Top Bottom