• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I think my comment about tools was too brief and therefore came across wrong. Let me try to explain better.

I don't mean that I think of automobiles like I think of an appliance. I have had my washer and dryer for 5 years, and I genuinely don't know what brand they are. If someone switched them out on me overnight, so long as the new ones worked, I wouldn't care.
    But I can tell you year, make, and model for all 18 of the cars and the 3 motorcycles I've had (in 19 years of driving).

Like tools, the vehicle I want is the best one for the job I'm trying to accomplish. Like tools, there isn't one that can do every. And like tools, I personally want the latest tech instead of a 50+ year old machine.

Some people have a dream car that they wrench on all the time or that requires a parts car to keep on the road. That's a cool thing, but it's not my thing. I don't want that. (Modifications? Yes. Routine maintenance? Sure. Constant repairs? Hard pass.) My dream car is the one where I can decide to take my wife and dogs and drive to the Arctic Circle, and where that's a reasonable plan.

That's not soulless. That's not missing the point of a dream car discussion. That's just an automotive enthusiast with different priorities. That's an enthusiast who prefers to spend more time on forest roads than running between stop lights--and doesn't want to require a support truck following along.

My example of a Ford FoST isn't a crappy commuter car; it's a turbocharged hot hatch with a manual transmission. It's an enthusiasts' car. My point was that I think modern hot hatches have caught up to supercars of decades past. Several billion dollars spent on engineering will do that. The old cars are undeniably cool. But the features that made them standouts in their time aren't as unreachable as they used to be, and so the limitations are harder for me to ignore.

I have a 1940s Black & Decker handheld drill that belonged to my grandfather. It's still a functional tool. It also hasn't been pulled out of the chest to be used for probably 14 years or more. I pick up one of my cordless options. When using any tool, I get joy more from what I accomplish with it than from the tool itself being cool, rare, good-looking, or nostalgic. The new drills are keyless, portable, and more powerful. The new tools do the same job better, and that's more satisfying to me.

I'm a car guy, too. I have three automobiles (plus a motorcycle) for which I am the primary driver... even though the last time I had to drive anywhere to get to work was in 2007. I like cars. I just happen to value utility and modern safety features over aesthetics and nostalgia.

I define my objective, and then I pick the tool for that job. And I am always more interested in the latest and greatest rather than in continuing to run the option I liked best years ago.

I don't mean to crap on anyone whose fandom is different and drives them to have a different dream car. (Pun intended.) But please don't crap on my fandom, either.

Man oh man. I see what you are doing but you still missed my point.
    "Dream" as defined by many as something that might be and is well out of reach. The cars I list are just a few of me "DREAM" cars not tool. A daily mini-van because it fits the budget and does the menial tasks required to move you and the kiddo's from "A" to "B". Those are soulless rigs as we tried to describe.

So in my request that we stay in the "Dream"" realm to provide an escape from the madness we are drowning in you give us a full page. But not 1 dream on that page. Now I see. And that I have been a bit rough on you for some of your posts I must apologize. Not being of the mind to wonder off and disconnect for a few moments to escape the mundane. That would make me sad.

Last edited:

cmann250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 2, 2018
    Land of 300bu corn
    73-79 F250/F350 4x4

One original and one with more modern engine, driveline, and brakes.

Not mine, but I wish it was...

bfdd58976c20402e2ea91ca87beea9a0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Yup.
    Grail car.....
    67 vette coup. Dark jade white stinger and rally wheels. BLack guts.
    427 tri-power 4 speed with/without side pipes.

Also fan grail car....
    69 Camaro COPO.
    Coloring I call ick red.
    Dog bowls no chrome past bumpers and door handles.
    Bare bones base body and the 450 HP 427.

This is me also along with a lot of other mentions in this thread.

Except I'll take Marina Blue on the '67 please. 427/435HP w/K66 ignition

COPO, I'll be glad to have twins with you CM!

Buick Gran Sports have a place for me. My mother owned a '67 GS400 ragtop. Neat car! At 17, I had a chance to buy a '70 GS350 4-speed, chrome reverse rims with baby moons. Silver over black. Nice sleeper car. Mom wouldn't let me buy it since she knew how GS's ran and sucked gas. I even tried the "mom, it's a smaller engine than yours and a manual trans so the mileage will be better" talk. Didn't work.

I could add a lot of others to the list:

GTO's, AC Cobra, several Mopars, etc.

And lastly, still a dream, but I may be able to make it a reality, a square body Chevy truck would be nice. Maybe the year I graduated from HS? 1978 short bed.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    So in my request that we stay in the "Dream"" realm to provide an escape from the madness we are drowning in you give us a full page. But not 1 dream on that page.

My dream car is the one where I can decide to take my wife and dogs and drive to the Arctic Circle, and where that's a reasonable plan.

Have you ever taken a road trip where 400 miles of the journey doesn’t have even gravel on the "roads"?
    Why the gatekeeping?

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    My grail car has always been the 1970 Super Bee with a 440 six pack. I’ve lusted after those since they were on the lot new when I was 7 years old.
    I had a '70 Super Bee, with a 440 magnum, and an auto trans, but my dream car is one I had and let go is a '70 Dodge Charger.......

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Still wanting a Flatty. Will get one eventually.
    iu

Been lusting after a Lotus lately. Maybe an Exige?
    lotus-exige-S1.jpg

But, told my wife, if I can ever swing a Unimog DoKa, I'd be daily-driving it
    unimogsmall-a-jpg.333275
    A buddy of mine, has two flat fendered Jeeps, uses them as farm vehicles.....

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    One of these would be a dream vehicle for that type of driving.

prospector-xl-27.jpg

Or this:
    drockafellow2018-01-09-5620-ac-2.jpg

Those look to be well built rigs, but a Ram won't ever be my dream rig. I personally prefer an SUV to a pickup for this kind of build (so long as I get to keep my my current pickup, too, for working). I've had a lot of fun with Jeeps, old Broncos, 4runners, and Land Cruisers. I did a trip in the Andes a few years back where our primary limit was the fuel we could load on the roof before we headed out. Part of our route was, the next week, on the route for the Dakar rally.

I expect the new Bronco to be an even better starting point to build from. https://www.ford.com/suvs/bronco/2021/

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Those look to be well built rigs, but a Ram won't ever be my dream rig. I personally prefer an SUV to a pickup for this kind of build (so long as I get to keep my my current pickup, too, for working). I've had a lot of fun with Jeeps, old Broncos, 4runners, and Land Cruisers. I did a trip in the Andes a few years back where our primary limit was the fuel we could load on the roof before we headed out. Part of our route was, the next week, on the route for the Dakar rally.

I expect the new Bronco to be an even better starting point to build from. https://www.ford.com/suvs/bronco/2021/

The new Broncos look like they could be a nice ride to have. I tried to win some business with some components for the roof, but they went with metal instead of plastic.

I am not a Ram fan either, but it looks like it could be a pretty hardy rig.

I would be more interested in a Brute Jeep if I was going to go that route.

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    1965/1966 Chevy Impala. Not two cars, just one.

Take this 1965 Impala:

attachment.php

And put this 1966 Impala front clip on it:

attachment.php

Original factory green paint color. Black leather interior. I'd keep the front bench seat. I'd keep the original steering wheel, original dash and gauges, original radio, but for God's sake I'd replace the climate control switches with something that looks period but works better. One must have is A/C. Not choppped, not dropped, not shaved, not debadged. No low profile tires. I wouldn't try to cram some giant engine in it. My Impalas have been 283s. I'd be happy with that again.

I know this isn't everyones cup of tea, because it wouldn't be built as a muscle car, but as a mostly period-correct suburban white collar daily driver. For me, it would be a fun cruiser. Me and my wife driving around on the weekend, or maybe going to a little weekend getaway in some small town. Not a drag racer or a burnout maker. Just the best of my favorite two model years.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    1965/1966 Chevy Impala. Not two cars, just one.

Take this 1965 Impala:

attachment.php

And put this 1966 Impala front clip on it:

attachment.php

Original factory green paint color. Black leather interior. I'd keep the front bench seat. I'd keep the original steering wheel, original dash and gauges, original radio, but for God's sake I'd replace the climate control switches with something that looks period but works better. One must have is A/C. Not choppped, not dropped, not shaved, not debadged. No low profile tires. I wouldn't try to cram some giant engine in it. My Impalas have been 283s. I'd be happy with that again.

I know this isn't everyones cup of tea, because it wouldn't be built as a muscle car, but as a mostly period-correct suburban white collar daily driver. For me, it would be a fun cruiser. Me and my wife driving around on the weekend, or maybe going to a little weekend getaway in some small town. Not a drag racer or a burnout maker. Just the best of my favorite two model years.

Oh no no no......I love the 66 on its own but the 65 is my Fav....
    When I brought it home.
    0MwCzpk.jpg

Same car about $25K later...:):
    pjPVMYR.jpg

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    Oh no no no......I love the 66 on its own but the 65 is my Fav....
    When I brought it home.
    0MwCzpk.jpg

Same car about $25K later...:):
    pjPVMYR.jpg

I'm partial to the 66, but I do love the 65 rear. I think the easiest route to get both is to put the 66 front clip on the 65 body. I haven't looked very closely, or taken any measurements, but it really looks like the back line of the fenders under the A pillar are either a match or line up very well.

The 65 front just doesn't look right to me. It's the eyebrows. It just makes it look surprised all the time.

The 66, to me, looks like a shark. Not currently eating, but looking for a meal.

I should never have sold this one.

attachment.php

indyartisan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    I had a 65 SS Impala that I left a my cousins house for a little too long.
    He had run into some hard times and sold it to pay the rent.
    It was a Green 2 door with buckets, console, a huge vacuum gauge in the dash and a powerglide that was strong in first but I had to really
    feather the throttle in second so it did not slip.
    I still have the title.
    I read CM’s post and figure my cousin saved me $25,000.

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    I had a 65 SS Impala that I left a my cousins house for a little too long.
    He had run into some hard times and sold it to pay the rent.
    It was a Green 2 door with buckets, console, a huge vacuum gauge in the dash and a powerglide that was strong in first but I had to really
    feather the throttle in second so it did not slip.
    I still have the title.
    I read CM’s post and figure my cousin saved me $25,000.

There's just something about that side fin that started in 1958 and got smoothed down until it nearly disappeared in 1964, then magically reappeared in 1965 as a hump in the back fender. If you have ever run your hand along the body lines of a fourth generation Impala, you know what I mean. Once you hit that contour, it becomes a nearly sexual experience, like finding the perfect curve of a woman's butt.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    There's just something about that side fin that started in 1958 and got smoothed down until it nearly disappeared in 1964, then magically reappeared in 1965 as a hump in the back fender. If you have ever run your hand along the body lines of a fourth generation Impala, you know what I mean. Once you hit that contour, it becomes a nearly sexual experience, like finding the perfect curve of a woman's butt.

The 1962 Biscayne 2 door post through the 67 are my most loved "Big" Chevys. I just like the big body offerings from that era. There is no greater pleasure to me than seeing the look on the face of a Mustang owner after he has watched thew tail lights on that black 65 pull away at the drag strip. No knock on the pony car line up just some of the new wave owners.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm partial to the 66, but I do love the 65 rear. I think the easiest route to get both is to put the 66 front clip on the 65 body. I haven't looked very closely, or taken any measurements, but it really looks like the back line of the fenders under the A pillar are either a match or line up very well.

The 65 front just doesn't look right to me. It's the eyebrows. It just makes it look surprised all the time.

The 66, to me, looks like a shark. Not currently eating, but looking for a meal.

I should never have sold this one.

attachment.php

No you should not have but I had to sell 3 seriously great cars in less than 6 months to save our bacon so yeah, I get it.

Top Bottom