Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    1969 Mustang Boss 429
    Maybe a fastback Torino with the 429CJ
    GT40- but I'm not as lean or flexible as I once was lol
    Sentimental reasons- the 1968 Mustang fastback with the 12:1 351C4v my dad and mom brought me home from the hospital in when I was born...dad sold it not too long after

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I'm not the slightest bit religious, but this statement leaves me wondering if you have a soul.

:):

Oh, it's OK to like tools. I like tools a lot. But I tend to like tools for what they can do for me, not for nostalgic or aesthetic reasons.

I don’t want to roof a house with a hammer instead of a nail gun, and I don't want to drive a 1960s "sports car" with a leaf spring suspension.

No matter how pretty a 1968 Jaguar XK-E is--and the E-Type is the best-looking car that has ever existed--the E-Type is objectively a worse car than a 2018 Ford Focus ST. Worse steering, worse breaking, worse acceleration, lower top speed, less safety, and less comfortable. And the Focus is likely to run 4x the mileage with way fewer required repairs.

Fifty years of engineering goes a long way. My dream car is likely always going to be something from the future, not something from the past.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Oh, it's OK to like tools. I like tools a lot. But I tend to like tools for what they can do for me, not for nostalgic or aesthetic reasons.

I don’t want to roof a house with a hammer instead of a nail gun, and I don't want to drive a 1960s "sports car" with a leaf spring suspension.

No matter how pretty a 1968 Jaguar XK-E is--and the E-Type is the best-looking car that has ever existed--the E-Type is objectively a worse car than a 2018 Ford Focus ST. Worse steering, worse breaking, worse acceleration, lower top speed, less safety, and less comfortable. And the Focus is likely to run 4x the mileage with way fewer required repairs.

Fifty years of engineering goes a long way. My dream car is likely always going to be something from the future, not something from the past.

You are missing the entire point of the conversation.
    I have owned and drove so many "60's" cars and have built some record holding race cars. Driven some insane "New" street cars and guess what.......I will take a 69 COPO offering (Camaro) over the new paddle shifted insanity or my grail car mentioned up thread. It is all in the driving experience you desire.

So I will ask you in all honesty why did you come into this thread with nothing to add and crap on the discussion. You do this all the time. We are all involved in a walk down memory lane and enjoying the retro pics and desires of a simpler time. And here you come. Just stop it man. I am serious. You have ruined my Chi and that aint cool.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    So I will ask you in all honesty why did you come into this thread with nothing to add and crap on the discussion. You do this all the time. We are all involved in a walk down memory lane and enjoying the retro pics and desires of a simpler time. And here you come. Just stop it man. I am serious. You have ruined my Chi and that aint cool.

I answered the question with "the upcoming Bronco" and got told that I might not have a soul.

I don't think it should be an off-limits opinion that the vehicles of the past, while pretty, can't stand up to what is coming out now.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I answered the question with "the upcoming Bronco" and got told that I might not have a soul.

I don't think it should be an off-limits opinion that the vehicles of the past, while pretty, can't stand up to what is coming out now.

Well again........:dunno:

Not off limits man.

Did you not read the response about having a soul.

No need to reply. Just save it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Apology's If I put a damper in the thread but after a solid year of dealing with the negative Nellie's we had a good on going. I am a dyed in the wool car/gun guy. If car/truck is just a tool to you then how about you just sit this one out OK.

Carry on.

chevyguy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    tatic05; said:
    71 'cuda in curious yellow with white interior
    69 Boss 9
    Toyota 2000GT
    AC Cobra

Ok, that's more than 1, oh well.

I have a friend I go to church with that has a 71 Cuda convertible in Curious Yellow with a black interior, black top, 340 has the billboard along the side. I helped him work on it a little, its pretty well restored as close to original as possible

indyartisan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Hamilton Co.

70 Mach 1
    351 Cleveland, 4 speed and Dire Straits Sultans of Swing playing though the 8 track.
    I have had prettier cars, faster cars, quieter cars, better handling cars but this one was obnoxious and a serious hoot to drive.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

70 Mach 1
    351 Cleveland, 4 speed and Dire Straits Sultans of Swing playing though the 8 track.
    I have had prettier cars, faster cars, quieter cars, better handling cars but this one was obnoxious and a serious hoot to drive.

I think that was my point earlier.
    A friend and Ingo member had a 68 (I believe) yellow corvette 427 tri-power 3 peddles and side pipes. Very visceral driving experience.
    He also has a much later (not sure of the year) Yellow vette with a built LS series and it is by far the better driving car all around "BUTT" he actually enjoyed the old school vette more according to him unless it was a long road trip. I get it.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Ok. That's just weird.:dunno:

I'm a Jeep person and have always loved Grand Waggy's. Take the unrealiable 360 out and put in a reliable engine and I would drive that anywhere and be proud of it. Grand Waggy's are going up in price because people want them.

Putting a hellcat motor in one has been done a few times already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooePMTz9Wno

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Ford GT Gen3

PeIBy4sl.png

Last edited:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I think that was my point earlier.
    A friend and Ingo member had a 68 (I believe) yellow corvette 427 tri-power 3 peddles and side pipes. Very visceral driving experience.
    He also has a much later (not sure of the year) Yellow vette with a built LS series and it is by far the better driving car all around "BUTT" he actually enjoyed the old school vette more according to him unless it was a long road trip. I get it.
    My Father in Law would agree with you 100%. He daily drove a 1970 or '71 Corvette: 454, 4-speed, and side pipes for 15 years. Sold it only when it finally spun a bearing. Looked at a then-new 'vette a few years later. Even with more power, better performance, better handling, and more creature comforts, he HATED it. Said the newer 'vette felt like driving a sofa.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I'm a Jeep person and have always loved Grand Waggy's. Take the unrealiable 360 out and put in a reliable engine and I would drive that anywhere and be proud of it. Grand Waggy's are going up in price because people want them.

I love those as well. I would love to see Chrysler bring it back as a retro.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    If car/truck is just a tool to you then how about you just sit this one out OK.

I think my comment about tools was too brief and therefore came across wrong. Let me try to explain better.

I don't mean that I think of automobiles like I think of an appliance. I have had my washer and dryer for 5 years, and I genuinely don't know what brand they are. If someone switched them out on me overnight, so long as the new ones worked, I wouldn't care.
    But I can tell you year, make, and model for all 18 of the cars and the 3 motorcycles I've had (in 19 years of driving).

Like tools, the vehicle I want is the best one for the job I'm trying to accomplish. Like tools, there isn't one that can do every. And like tools, I personally want the latest tech instead of a 50+ year old machine.

Some people have a dream car that they wrench on all the time or that requires a parts car to keep on the road. That's a cool thing, but it's not my thing. I don't want that. (Modifications? Yes. Routine maintenance? Sure. Constant repairs? Hard pass.) My dream car is the one where I can decide to take my wife and dogs and drive to the Arctic Circle, and where that's a reasonable plan.

That's not soulless. That's not missing the point of a dream car discussion. That's just an automotive enthusiast with different priorities. That's an enthusiast who prefers to spend more time on forest roads than running between stop lights--and doesn't want to require a support truck following along.

My example of a Ford FoST isn't a crappy commuter car; it's a turbocharged hot hatch with a manual transmission. It's an enthusiasts' car. My point was that I think modern hot hatches have caught up to supercars of decades past. Several billion dollars spent on engineering will do that. The old cars are undeniably cool. But the features that made them standouts in their time aren't as unreachable as they used to be, and so the limitations are harder for me to ignore.

I have a 1940s Black & Decker handheld drill that belonged to my grandfather. It's still a functional tool. It also hasn't been pulled out of the chest to be used for probably 14 years or more. I pick up one of my cordless options. When using any tool, I get joy more from what I accomplish with it than from the tool itself being cool, rare, good-looking, or nostalgic. The new drills are keyless, portable, and more powerful. The new tools do the same job better, and that's more satisfying to me.

I'm a car guy, too. I have three automobiles (plus a motorcycle) for which I am the primary driver... even though the last time I had to drive anywhere to get to work was in 2007. I like cars. I just happen to value utility and modern safety features over aesthetics and nostalgia.

I define my objective, and then I pick the tool for that job. And I am always more interested in the latest and greatest rather than in continuing to run the option I liked best years ago.

I don't mean to crap on anyone whose fandom is different and drives them to have a different dream car. (Pun intended.) But please don't crap on my fandom, either.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    FalconRC369
    Top Bottom