• ...and so much more!
  • wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    You’re right. A revolver is just another choice in a sea of guns. They do offer retaining your brass, a great club incase perp bumps his head on it, not ammo dependent, double strike capability, fun to master, and also has character.

I’m glad you like your P10C.

Note that I'm not dissing revolvers. Those well trained with them are perfectly fine and well armed, but there are plenty of semi-autos I'd also feel well armed with. In self defense, the tool is only the start. Training, mindset, practice and self awareness all play their parts as well.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Note that I'm not dissing revolvers. Those well trained with them are perfectly fine and well armed, but there are plenty of semi-autos I'd also feel well armed with. In self defense, the tool is only the start. Training, mindset, practice and self awareness all play their parts as well.
    While slightly off topic and perhaps it needs its own thread. The one attribute on revolvers that most folks don’t realize is they are better off for car carry than an auto. Now hear me out. When you see the mass amount of body camera Officer involved shootings when they are surprised and do not get a great grip on the gun or try and fire without full extension you see several 1 shot Glocks (or any pistol)

And as Darryl Bolke points out inside a vehicle you are not going to be able to get at full extension or grip when someone is trying to pull you out of a car. So a Revolver gets a lot of pluses.

And as far as rounds Chuck Haggared just pointed out in like a decade or more long study of IPD officers involved shootings with Wheelguns they were trying to find justification by Officers having to reload and there were close to 200 shootings and only 1 officer had to reload the rest were solved with 6 rounds (granted this was a service size 4” revolver more times than not) so while sure the more rounds isn’t a bad thing just not quite the end all be all some use to sell autos.

Talkinghalls

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 11, 2020
    NW Indiana
    Glock
    Springfield
    Smith and Wesson
    Ruger

Those are pretty much the only EDCs I’ve ever had, you can find used ones of any of these for around 400, 450 in the classifieds.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    While slightly off topic and perhaps it needs its own thread. The one attribute on revolvers that most folks don’t realize is they are better off for car carry than an auto. Now hear me out. When you see the mass amount of body camera Officer involved shootings when they are surprised and do not get a great grip on the gun or try and fire without full extension you see several 1 shot Glocks (or any pistol)

And as Darryl Bolke points out inside a vehicle you are not going to be able to get at full extension or grip when someone is trying to pull you out of a car. So a Revolver gets a lot of pluses.

And as far as rounds Chuck Haggared just pointed out in like a decade or more long study of IPD officers involved shootings with Wheelguns they were trying to find justification by Officers having to reload and there were close to 200 shootings and only 1 officer had to reload the rest were solved with 6 rounds (granted this was a service size 4” revolver more times than not) so while sure the more rounds isn’t a bad thing just not quite the end all be all some use to sell autos.

Maybe I'm not understanding what you're saying, but you can certainly shoot a semi-auto without a full extension. Most training teaches you to start firing as soon as you have the pistol out of the holster and pointed at the target. I'm not saying that perhaps a revolver isn't better in that situation, but a semi-auto can work as well (with proper training).

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Maybe I'm not understanding what you're saying, but you can certainly shoot a semi-auto without a full extension. Most training teaches you to start firing as soon as you have the pistol out of the holster and pointed at the target. I'm not saying that perhaps a revolver isn't better in that situation, but a semi-auto can work as well (with proper training).
    Never said they couldn’t be. Most average shooters won’t parctice or train for that though.

I’m saying that several malfunctions have been documented by body cameras. If you watch closely a large percentage is when officers have a poor grip and or not at full extension. Often whe. They do not start with the gun I. Their hand but have to draw in a surprise.

Bolke (pretty much a SME on Shootings) has Investigated a lot of shooting many that were from within vehicles where a full extension and or a poor grip was involved

Bolke and Haggard just touched on that very subject on the Primary Secondary podcast 357

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Shield Plus and CZ P10C are highly reliable guns and under $400. I carried the P10C for years and have multiple thousands of rounds through it and have taken a few classes with it and never had reliability issues. You absolutely can find guns under $400 that you can trust your life with. Not everyone is stuck on having to have a revolver.
    I have picked up S&W Shield 9mm and .40 S&W pistols for $300 apiece as well!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Also among revolvers the new Taurus Mosel 82 or 65 (their equivalent it S&W model 10 or 65 can be found for under 400 new and are quite nice these days
    I had an older all steel Taurus Model 85CH. I really liked it and wish I hadn't have sold it. I got caught up in the semi-auto hoopla and sold it.

Many years later, I bought a S&W Model 442. I didn't like it even though I'm a Smith fan. I just really liked the heft of that Taurus.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I had an older all steel Taurus Model 85CH. I really liked it and wish I hadn't have sold it. I got caught up in the semi-auto hoopla and sold it.

Many years later, I bought a S&W Model 442. I didn't like it even though I'm a Smith fan. I just really liked the heft of that Taurus.
    I have a well worn Taurus model 82 that I bought well used in 1986. It’s nickel with a 3” barrel but has the hammer mounted firing pin. Exactly like a S&W before the frame mounted firing pins. I would guess it’s a mid to late 1970’s production

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn

Even with .38 special, having a bit of 'heft' in the platform makes it all that much easier to absorb recoil and shoot better!

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    What's eating worth? Paying utility bills etc? Many people have to live like that especially now with everything 2x higher than it was under Trump.
    2 times higher? Are prices really only doubled in price in Indiana? I think around here things are significantly more expensive since Sleepy Joe , I mean Obama took over.

Top Bottom