• ...and so much more!
  • YoungMilsurpGuy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    Crown Point
    It's now close to $450 but a CZ P-09

Over 500 rounds federal 115 grain 9mm with a few boxes of turkish ammo thrown in

50 rounds 147 grain HST
    25 rounds 124 +p HST

it's a big gun and isn't suitable to carry, but it shoots softly, holds 19+1 of 9mm has a decent trigger and a rail on it.

For me it's probably the best home defense and range pistol for the money

EDIT: Also if someone has good hand strength for a truck/bedside gun it's hard to beat the police trade in glock 22s.

.40 is still a good round and if someone is this poor they might be using ball or budget hollow points and for cheap ammo like that .40 performs much better 9mm.

Flingarrows

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 9, 2019
    Greenwood
    LCP II or xds9. Lots of various ball ammo. Sig defense ammo withe the 3 fluted head design on the .380, and plenty hornady defensive on the 9

Both have come down in price over the past 5 years, as well

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Anyone got a grownup round count on a Security-9? They were a super competitive option a couple years ago but seem to have faded out.

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    Can't really recommend this as I've never handled or shot one... but I looked for a good while and all the other options I'd consider have the blasted blade safeties which don't work for me at all, or have limited capacity. Seems like the Bersa TPR9 is the only one I'd even look at.

Last edited:

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    In keeping with your parameters of under $400 the best kept secret for a new gun is a Stoeger STR 9. Then maybe a Taurus there might be a couple others but I’d break those down. If it’s something that is gonna sit in a night stand and I’m not going to shoot it every week or take classes with I won’t be so picky. If it is something I’m gonna also carry and go to classes and shoot them it’s gonna be at least the Stoeger but most likely Glock or M&P!

As far as used any Glock or M&P would fit the bill provided you can find one for 400 or under(and even a Police trade in factor in the FFL fee you might or might not keep it under 400)

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    I have run many thousands of rounds through several Springfield XD9's.
    Factory ammo in 115fmj & 124fmj.
    Handloads in 115fmj, 115plated, 124fmj, 124 plated, 124 coated.

All with -0- gun related failures. One of them run with minimal cleaning till it is filthy, it is my range monkey.
    I'll add Springfield XDe to the list. Although not being produced anymore it is a great DA/SA w decocker thats easy to rack. Nice with my early arthritic hands. Zero failures with hundreds of rounds since we bought it new when released. You can hit a 8" dinger at 50 yds all day.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Anyone got a grownup round count on a Security-9? They were a super competitive option a couple years ago but seem to have faded out.
    I bought one recently from a member who works at a gun shop.
    He personally put about 1800 rounds through it when asked, no issues.
    Don't remember, but he probably bought it as a trade in with previous owner rounds on it.

I've only put less than 100 rds through it with no issues except when I tried using these lead reloads that were given to me.
    They are shorter than "normal" FMJ rounds.
    They don't cycle well in any of my 9mms that I've tried them in.
    Evidently, length matters.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I own a Kahr CM9 that had ONE failure-to-eject (classic limp-wrist problem) malfunction in the first 50 rounds. Since that one malfunction, it has fired 650 total rounds without a single issue. I've run a at least two different brands (maybe more) of 115gr FMJ, 100 rounds of 147gr HST, and 100 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense through it, all without an issue. I got it at Range USA for less than $400. A word of caution: This was a warranty replacement CM9. The original was a COMPLETE POS; I couldn't fire one magazine-full without at least one stoppage, the slide did not lock on empty magazines. In Kahr's favor: I emailed to complain after the first range day. At 7pm on the day I sent the email, I got a response, "Send it in", and a call tag so I didn't have to pay shipping. A short while later, I got another email. "Your gun is outside of MFR specifications, we will ship a new one ASAP." They did. And I am happy with my new CM9, and with Kahr customer service.

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    I can find used Glocks all day for ~$400. I picked up a like new early Gen 5 Glock 19 for $399 out the door a couple weeks ago. A used Glock be my pick. I have several thousand rounds through a whole bunch of Glocks since 1992 and that is what I count on daily.

The OP asked about reliability. A used Glock is my answer. People tend to overlook the used gun market when they're shopping for value.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    The OP asked about reliability. A used Glock is my answer. People tend to overlook the used gun market when they're shopping for value.
    I've seen used guns go for 80+% of the price of new guns. I've seen used guns priced HIGHER than new at Midwest in Mishawaka. 80% is possibly worth considering. At 90% of new gun price, I'd forget the used market and go with new. If you're buying used, look at individuals.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    @doddg could give you some insight on them.
    I read your thread through & even commented on an inquiry about the Ruger Security 9, of which I've had a few over the years since they could be bought $200-$300 range (higher price had 5 mags with it).

I've had nearly everything mentioned here & more in the sub-$200 - $400-ish range.
    The Taurus 709 Slim would not work.
    I bought it after doing research :coffee: & finding it was 1 of 3 9mm pistols that lasted a 1000 round test (only 1 failure).
    Mine must have been a dud.

I noticed Bersa getting a mention & I've had great experiences with their compact
    &
    one of the best guns I ever had was a larger very accurate competition type gun (but that's another subject). :laugh:

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Sig p-938, but it looks like everyone is proud of then now days.
    I liked mine, but my thumb kept hitting the mag release.
    Didn't matter at the range, but couldn't use if for CC.
    I even changed out the grips, but same issue.

I even had a 938-.22LR caliber that was accurate & fun for its small size, but same issue.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    The issue I have observed first hand at a large gun store with an indoor range. I see Glocks a lot of times seem to be someone’s YouTube homemade gunsmithing gone wrong. So tread carefully especially if you see aftermarket parts on them!

Top Bottom