Not open for further replies.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    bwframe; My experience with raised beds is that you have to water them daily during dry spells. One reason why I no longer have them.[/QUOTE said:
    Yes. Raised beds do not hold water very well. Ours is a raised bed and it requires daily watering.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Just the pine needles. I believe water is also a big issue in the blueberry growth. Hindsight 20/20, besides the deer frequently pruning the bushes, I think they struggled for water. Now with the pine needle mulch under the strawberry plants in a low/damp part of the garden they seem to thrive.

My experience with raised beds is that you have to water them daily during dry spells. One reason why I no longer have them.

So . . . about that strawberry surplus? churchmouse and I are ready to help you!

dans4420

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2012
    Northwest Indiana
    Yes. Raised beds do not hold water very well. Ours is a raised bed and it requires daily watering.

Wife does raised beds waters twice a day morning and night if needed works out pretty good.
    Also got a kit you piece together soaker hose set it up with a timer to run automatically works pretty good.

Deff right though they do not hold the water well .

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    My place is on a poorly drained clay soil. It's very fertile and I can grow good stuff as long as it doesn't rain too much. The only thing I grow in the ground now are green beans, and I just was able to till and plant those yesterday, since I've kept missing the short window when it's dry enough before another rain would come.

Raised beds allow me to get in the garden earlier in the spring, and sooner after rains. I'm up to eleven beds now, 4' X 20'.

I do water seeds, sprouts, and young plants daily when it's dry, but I've found that a thick mulch of straw or leaves really helps to hold moisture.

INDPrepper

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Not too much lately. Bought some more mountain house pouches to test out to see if I like them enough to add to the stock pile. Other than that just some miscellaneous gear.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Got the garden in and growing, picking the first batches of strawberries. We've got in eggplant, cucumbers, tomatoes, zucchini, butternut squash, lettuce and more asparagus. Keeping the blueberries, gooseberries, currants, cherries, aronia berries, apples, peaches, pears, and paw paws watered.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Got the garden in and growing, picking the first batches of strawberries. We've got in eggplant, cucumbers, tomatoes, zucchini, butternut squash, lettuce and more asparagus. Keeping the blueberries, gooseberries, currants, cherries, aronia berries, apples, peaches, pears, and paw paws watered.

Ok...new to me... never heard of pickled strawberries! What are those like?

Flagg

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 26, 2010
    N/A
    Exercise, exercise, exercise. And gardening. Pistol training on Sunday. Laid in some more water. And TP—I bought thousands of rolls of TP.

boosteds13cc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Lowell
    Finally bought Mylar bags and oxygen obsorbers to store rice and pastas. Getting canning things in order for when the garden is ready to pick.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Picked up some StopsBleeding pouches for the First Aid kits. I know they have been working on these with injectors for the military to stop major bleeding from war wounds but hadn't seen them in civilian use yet. They can be used on all serious wounds including arterial.

Got them in the camping section at wally world for 4.88/2 pouches. I didn't realize what it was at first because it's got a picture of Lou Ferigno on the front.

You just pour it in the wound and apply pressure/bandage. It acts like a natural scab to stop the bleeding and can be left in the wound. Some folks used tampons for this but they continue to absorb blood until they are saturated, this doesn't work that way and keeps more fluid in the body. Better than a tourniquet because it doesn't stop blood flow to the rest of the limb...and can be applied places a tourniquet can't, like your noggin.

http://coagmedical.com/

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Picked up some StopsBleeding pouches for the First Aid kits. I know they have been working on these with injectors for the military to stop major bleeding from war wounds but hadn't seen them in civilian use yet. They can be used on all serious wounds including arterial.

Got them in the camping section at wally world for 4.88/2 pouches. I didn't realize what it was at first because it's got a picture of Lou Ferigno on the front.

You just pour it in the wound and apply pressure/bandage. It acts like a natural scab to stop the bleeding and can be left in the wound. Some folks used tampons for this but they continue to absorb blood until they are saturated, this doesn't work that way and keeps more fluid in the body. Better than a tourniquet because it doesn't stop blood flow to the rest of the limb...and can be applied places a tourniquet can't, like your noggin.

StopsBleeding? - A Must Have for People on Blood Thinners

Interesting.

[video=youtube;rTBKBdWNcG8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTBKBdWNcG8[/video]

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Lately I've been trying to get more ruck marches in. My options are to do it either before work, or after the kids go to bed and since I never really know how long I'll be I opt to do it after the kids go to bed, while my wife is on her phone. My backpack has about 40#'s of gear in it including everything I'll need for an upcoming week+ backpacking trip. I make a 5 mile loop on relatively flat ground walking on paved roads in the range of just over an hour to an hour and a half. Last night was a soggy mess with the humidity, and sorta sucky but I got my 5 miles in. it's kind of an empowering thing to get out and pound miles.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    The past 7 days:

5 workouts. Weights, 12 miles of running, 8 of biking, heavy bag, swimming.

1 dryfire session w/ G19, 870 and AK

1 trip to the range: 85 rounds, G19, M9, Sig 226.

One Fight Nite, working on level change, shooting in, sprawling and then ground game. Won 2 with an arm bar. 1 keylock and 1 choke. Also got in a beautiful O goshi. (hip throw)

Basically I spent the week making myself harder to kill.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Still sorting through gear/equipment for the upcoming backpacking trip. Still pounding some miles at night. Last night I filled every ounce of water that I could and having 5 full liters was way too much. Learning from rookie mistakes, getting my feet in condition, getting comfortable knocking out some miles, and every extra ounce in my pack has a target on it's back. So far though, I'm getting a lot nice peace and quiet while being outdoors and coming home in a nasty pool of sweat.

I've been tweaking a new precision rifle setup this year. I used to handload every round I fired for a heavy barreled 30-06. I made the switch to a 308 for the availability of factory match loads. I've been keeping a log book, swapped the trigger, and just tossed on a APA little b....... muzzle break. I haven't stretched its legs out yet to 1,000 yards, but that day is coming soon enough. So far, I've been pretty happy with everything I've seen it do at 100 yards.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom