• Status
    Not open for further replies.

djlaundry2000

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    May 24, 2011
    Terre Haute
    Meant to also say that i collected 5 blue barrels for rain barrels. Also what does everyone do with there barrels in winter? Just empty and leave valve open? Just wondering if i should wait to set up next year?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Meant to also say that i collected 5 blue barrels for rain barrels. Also what does everyone do with there barrels in winter? Just empty and leave valve open? Just wondering if i should wait to set up next year?

I have the open top rain barrels. I dump them and clean them out. Turn upside down and wait for spring.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011

I'm moving mine into the garage, but CM's option should work well too. You definitely don't want water in them as freezing/thawing can cause the barrels to break down much faster.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Since last post, I've taken a Rex Defense Seminar class. It's two full 8 hour days that's nothing but talking about what it takes to make a long range shot repeatably and consistently. It was great to be in a "gun class" full of students so serious about understanding the topic that we didn't even touch a gun the whole time. Not a lot of people want the knowledge part and it was refreshing. I'd highly recommend his class in case anyone was wondering. I really want to take his 3,000 yard class this upcoming spring.

Also, as I've purged excess gear I've reinvested those funds into a simple and robust BCM rifle. That's zeroed now, and just waiting a chance to prove itself with a high enough round count that it can prove itself.

I've got a deep cycle marine battery, smart charger, and radio that still needs dialed in, but it's getting there. Handheld units have been reinforced with fresh devices.

Trained with the guys doing some shooting and moving and putting our equipment to the test. Lots of equipment malfunctions across the board, lots of repairs across the board. Funny how some days with the same guys everything works like a well oiled machine and other days Darwin knocks on the door pretty loudly.

Upcoming plans are to grab some halloween candy next week when it all goes on clearance and put it away. Also need to get that carburetor fixed on the snow blower.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    Sounds like a simple solution. Keep a fairly large lot of fat on hand?

Fry that bunny in yummy, good for you, fat...:D

Reminds me, I need to look for my next source of lard. The the last case came from walmart.com w/free shipping.

I buy mine from Pasture's Delights out of Decatur IN. Best lard I've ever used.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I can't tell you the last time I used a teflon pan was. My new favorite is an Amazon Basic's. I took a Roloc and grinder to it. Smooth as glass.

I believe that is part of the set we have put together. I need to get a seriously deep one for the oven. CKW is loving the iron. I lost track of the Teflon skillets we have went through even with all the proper soft utensils.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    drained all our rain barrels, garden raised beds all cleared out, last of potatoes dug, ground 200 pounds of pork and vacuum packaged and froze, helped wife make apple butter had tons of apples from a friend to use up. worked on training more with our german shepherd she is doing great at just over a year old!!

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    The lard sold by Walmart is not real lard. I have no idea what is in that stuff, but it is NOT lard. I bought some once to use and it was nasty. I figured since it wouldn't make a good pie crust, I'd smear it on the trees for the birds. YEARS later, it is still on the bark of the trees. That is not an exaggeration. It was on there for over five years...birds wouldn't touch it. It formed a hard crust and never melted or washed off.

I now get my lard from the butcher when I get a half a hog for my freezer each year. I think they charged me $2.50 to process 10 pounds of lard and put it in containers for my freezer. That is REAL lard.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom