Not open for further replies.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Inventoried one of the shelves of supplys. We use the small propane cans for lighting the wood stove, the fire pit and running the Coleman stoves and lanterns. Found them on sale at Sams today and replenished that shelf. Also picked up another no strike torch.

Put in more paper. T.P. plates towels etc.

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    Rebuilt a coleman 275 lantern tonight and it works! Neigbor gave it to me a couple years ago and it shot flames out the bottom, so I let it sit. Just shut it off after two hours. Put a new check valve and leather cup on it. Used bore butter on the leather, it was sitting on the desk from the last muzzle loader cleaning. Replaced the generator and washed out the fount with rubbing alcohol. One of the new mantles didn't have a tie string so I had to get creative used a little scrap 12/2 ground wire.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I experimented with jute cordage for the first time (on my own). I started with some 2mm jute twine, unraveled and fluffed it into a ball, then marveled at how easy it was to ignite with just one or two ferro rod scrapes. I'm adding three feet of it to my EDC tinder.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I experimented with jute cordage for the first time (on my own). I started with some 2mm jute twine, unraveled and fluffed it into a ball, then marveled at how easy it was to ignite with just one or two ferro rod scrapes. I'm adding three feet of it to my EDC tinder.

I take jute twine and wrap 2 or 3 feet of it on either a molle loop, or on a sheath itself, just because it weighs nothing and a 6" length of it cna go a long ways towards taking a spark and getting a fire going.

Along those lines, when my daughter and I took the class at campcraft Jason broke out some of this stuff with a big grin on his face saying for $50 he's never got to make a tinder bundle again in his life. https://www.uline.com/BL_1972/Excelsior

I ordered a 50# box of it and now I have a borderline lifetime supply of the stuff. All that translates into I can get more reps in with my kids training them and getting them up to speed. That stuff will light from an ember on char cloth very well and I like the idea of having a pile of it around. Soo soo very much training value in being able to get more reps in. Don't get me wrong, at some point I'll have to go back and show them about making a good tinder bundle, but for now it's just one thing at a time.

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    Starting to get serious about a home battery backup. Mostly thinking so I can have a mobile backpack ham radio that's got some horsepower. Not really sure what battery to start with. Radio is done, and it's a yeasu 75W. Now it needs a power source (battery), then a smart charger to keep it topped off. My plan is to have this able to be unplugged fully charged and tossed in the back of a vehicle at a moments notice as a self contained fully functioning unit.

If I was to do this, I'd use 4 of the batteries like the ones in the link below and wire them parallel. I'd also throw a smaller smart charger and a pocket inverter in the bag.

https://www.amazon.com/Mighty-Max-B...+12ah+battery&qid=1566773508&s=gateway&sr=8-5

My question is are you planning on attaching the unit itself outside of the bag somehow? From experence, I know alot of the 50+ watt units can get hot during operation. I'd be afraid of melting the bag or cooking the unit itself if it was to be operated inside of the bag.

I'm also a little courious about your antenna placement during usage. When I obtained my license 25 years ago (Damn it makes me feel old saying that), RF radiation/exposure was a concern. I'm not sure where they're at with it now but back then, it wasn't sugested anything putting out more that 10 watts should be to close to your head.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've got a deep cycle marine battery from Napa now. My plan is to take an alice pack type of frame with the shelf, place the battery on the shelf, and then mount everything else to some type board permanently mounted to the alice frame. Once I really get going on this I'll make a separate topic on it and detail the build.

My daughter has been making the evening camp fires in the fire pit using flint and steel or a magnifying glass and tinder bundles from the uline packaging I bought previously.

I've been continuing to work on my physical fitness and rucking when the munchkins go to bed.

Starting to think some of you guys may have a water fetish, just saying......

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I just planted a couple bulbs of garlic between the horseradish in the "flower beds" around my house. This was on the shadier side of the house. We'll see if it grows as well as does on the sunny side. The warm side house garlic has garlic leaves for me to clip as needed for a lot of the year.

Dark Star

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2019
    South bend
    What are everyone's thoughts on meat rabbits? In normal conditions they seem easier to deal with and process than chickens. But in semi-shtf seems like they'd need more daily care than chickens.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Both work for meat, but chickens produce eggs on an ongoing basis as well. Based on my chickens-only experience, I'd think that rabbits are better for pure meat product. Faster reproduction and can subsist on vegetation in a smaller area. It is a six-o-one, half-dozen of the other situation. I prefer the eggs rather than slaughtering and processing animals on a frequent basis.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Both work for meat, but chickens produce eggs on an ongoing basis as well. Based on my chickens-only experience, I'd think that rabbits are better for pure meat product. Faster reproduction and can subsist on vegetation in a smaller area. It is a six-o-one, half-dozen of the other situation. I prefer the eggs rather than slaughtering and processing animals on a frequent basis.

Growing up with farm people I lost my taste fro game animals long ago. White meat chicken/Turkey kind of guy "If" I had the choice. Now in a survival situation I am sure skinning a rabbit skills would come back to quell the hunger pangs.

But I prefer the eggs. But I am not hungry.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    What are everyone's thoughts on meat rabbits? In normal conditions they seem easier to deal with and process than chickens. But in semi-shtf seems like they'd need more daily care than chickens.

Do domestic rabbits have enough fat to prevent "rabbit starvation"?

This week: practiced knot tying, practiced sharpening, continued searching for a new job, restocked my supply of NSAIDs and antihistamines, considered plans for how to leave my condo by vehicle if the road and entrance are not passable (due to some impending resurfacing, I realized there is only one easy entrance/exit).

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

This week: practiced knot tying, practiced sharpening, continued searching for a new job, restocked my supply of NSAIDs and antihistamines, considered plans for how to leave my condo by vehicle if the road and entrance are not passable (due to some impending resurfacing, I realized there is only one easy entrance/exit).

We have given serious thought to egress under stress. We have a plan.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011

Yes. Frankly rabbit starvation is <nearly> a myth. If all you eat are starving rabbits (no fat), then it is possible. We need to consume essential fatty acids as part of our diet. Rabbit starvation is an extreme case where you are subsisting only on starving rabbits and have no other sources of fat in your diet.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Yes. Frankly rabbit starvation is <nearly> a myth. If all you eat are starving rabbits (no fat), then it is possible. We need to consume essential fatty acids as part of our diet. Rabbit starvation is an extreme case where you are subsisting only on starving rabbits.

Thanks! My rabbit knowledge is limited to what I read, so I appreciate the insight.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis

I have raised rabbits. They are a complicated animal. They have 3 stomachs if I remember correctly. And the occasional green pellet, as opposed to the brown ones they give us, they eat that for vitamin b I think. It's been a while.
    Alfalfa should be the main diet. A salt lick is must for, calcium I think. I don't think they produce their own. Sunlight for vitamin something. 2 water bottles because one will fail and a dehydrated rabbit is a sick rabbit. Pine wood chips for bedding, cedar will make them sick. No Equine Fresh for bedding because they'll eat it and swell up. And a pine toy to chew on because their front teeth don't stop growing and they wear them down on something or they curve back into their mouth and can't eat.
    Alfalfa, salt lick, 2 water bottles, pine bedding, occasional sunlight, wood chew toy. Bedding can be put in a wash tub and they'll use it exclusively, so easy cleanup. And they'll spray like a cat, so if they're inside you would want to protect the walls and carpet. I had a rabbit live 12 years, which is almost double their lifespan.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom