• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Yuppers - I've offered to take TONS of people shooting.. men, women, children.. I'd just rather see people shooting!

RachelMarie, that's one heck of a wheelgun, though, I gotta say.. more than I'd wanna shoot!

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Yuppers - I've offered to take TONS of people shooting.. men, women, children.. I'd just rather see people shooting!

RachelMarie, that's one heck of a wheelgun, though, I gotta say.. more than I'd wanna shoot!

It's CRAZY...but I WILL work my way up there. I'm on the verge of obbsession!

El Cazador

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    NW Hendricks CO
    Wow, 6 pages already. Would this thread have grown so fast if it were started by BillyJoeBob instead of RachelMarie? INGO people are pretty helpful but I think a bunch of them are hoping to see a pick of you with the new gun posted in this thread: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break_...with_guns.html

No, I don't want a bikini (or less) picture with her holding that hand cannon she's wanting. Just not my thing. :rolleyes: O/T, personally I'd rather see pics of gals shooting their weapons well, and correctly, instead of the bikini-clad ones holding the gun poorly, or breaking every one of the Four Basic Rules in the photo. Or the poor ladies and girls in the vids getting a nasty surprise because they're holding their gun badly and everyone else thinks it's funny to see them knocked on their butt or whacked in the chops. The best one out there is of the teenage gal emptying the Barrett M82 she's shooting then looking at the camera with a big grin. Now, a picture of Rachel Marie shooting her revolver, or posing with a deer she took with it, that would be a good one.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    What about online though? I've had no problem finding it online. Is it legal to buy online? (I'm learning)

Buying ammo online is perfectly legal. Natchez Shooters Supplies usually has decent prices, others have their own favorite places. (They're completely out of .380, only a few .40 and .38 and 9mm - if you want to pay $48/50! :n00b:)

Things are crazy online too right now, and instead of a few dozen people walking through the store every day to buy ammo, there are a few thousand dozen waiting to click "BUY NOW". Sometime people click "buy" and before they can check out it's gone

Its not just ammo, it bullets and primers for reloading too.

I stocked up before the last mid-term election, so I'm doing fine, except I'm shooting more .38's now because I'm running low on .40 (bullets for reloading).

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    What about online though? I've had no problem finding it online. Is it legal to buy online? (I'm learning)

Thanks! I've saved the link to my favorites and plan to check it out in a few minutes. :)

Please PM me with links of .380 ammo online... I'm looking for target rounds... :D When I HAVE found it, I get a surprise email saying "we're out of stock - order cancelled"

We're buying a box or two here and there.. where we can find it. Got one box in Georgia, two in Evansville, one in Indy... that's it over the past week.

None in Nashville or Louisville when we were there this past week.

I don't know what's too big of a gun for you to handle, but Ruger's P95 is a very reliable gun, 9mm (which you can actually find the ammo), and can be had new for $309.

Of course, the Bersa Thunder .380 is also a decent gun for the money, but again, the ammo is the issue.

I'll give you a revolver option in .38 special (or .357 for that matter). Many people think it's ugly as sin, but of all the revolvers I now own, this bad boy is still my favorite, and is the least expensive gun I own:

EAAcorp.com - European American Armory Inc. - Homepage

Less than $300 new - and revolvers are so much simpler machines.... A LOT less to go wrong with them

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I was just being silly. ;)

RachelMarie, This event came up last minute but I'm heading from Indy to Southern IN for a big shoot 'em party tomorrow with a bunch of friends. You'd be more than welcome to tag along.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    http://www.taurususa.com/products/pr...ategory=Pistol

This would be my first gun...EVER. What do you think? I'm just looking for a bit of feedback. I want to get used to shooting again before I go buy the gun I REALLY want ($1700)....So this would be my starter.

Oh...and BE HONEST. Dont sugar coat it!

TIA
    Ray

Hey, welcome and all...I just skimmed thru your thread, and thought I would throw out my opinion...

I would recommend a revolver in .327 Federal magnum. Ruger, Taurus and Charter Arms all offer a wheelgun in that caliber. It is more potent than a .32, less recoil than a .357magnum. It would be a good caliber to learn with - not too big, not too small. You can get 115gr rounds for self defense, and 85gr rounds for plinking.

Here is one review - .327 Federal Magnum

and another - The New .327 Federal Magnum in Ruger’s SP101 Compact Six-Shot Revolver

Gunbroker is listing the Taurus revolver starting around $325, all the way up to $550 for the Ruger SP101. In my opinion, the auction sites are always high, you should be able to find one at a local store for less.

Ammo is priced right around the same as 9mm.

I personally like the Charter Arms Patriot, with 4" barrel. No, I don't have one, yet. I like my surplus military pistols and need to finish getting set with them before I start on another gun.

Once again, it's just one man's opinion. Whatever you choose, I hope you like it and start the next generation shooting too!

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Hey, welcome and all...I just skimmed thru your thread, and thought I would throw out my opinion...

I would recommend a revolver in .327 Federal magnum. Ruger, Taurus and Charter Arms all offer a wheelgun in that caliber. It is more potent than a .32, less recoil than a .357magnum. It would be a good caliber to learn with - not too big, not too small. You can get 115gr rounds for self defense, and 85gr rounds for plinking.

Here is one review - .327 Federal Magnum

and another - The New .327 Federal Magnum in Ruger’s SP101 Compact Six-Shot Revolver

Gunbroker is listing the Taurus revolver starting around $325, all the way up to $550 for the Ruger SP101. In my opinion, the auction sites are always high, you should be able to find one at a local store for less.

Ammo is priced right around the same as 9mm.

I personally like the Charter Arms Patriot, with 4" barrel. No, I don't have one, yet. I like my surplus military pistols and need to finish getting set with them before I start on another gun.

Once again, it's just one man's opinion. Whatever you choose, I hope you like it and start the next generation shooting too!
    This is VERY usefull...THANK YOU

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Would this thread have grown so fast if it were started by BillyJoeBob instead of RachelMarie?
    Who cares? Let's just call it PAYBACK for the crappy way we get ignored, talked down to, and treated like second class citizens or idiots in the various "boys clubs" (a.k.a car repair shops, gun stores/gun shows, football discussions, bike shops, etc.)
    So RachelMarie...Rawk on, sistah!:rockwoot:

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Who cares? Let's just call it PAYBACK for the crappy way we get ignored, talked down to, and treated like second class citizens or idiots in the various "boys clubs" (a.k.a car repair shops, gun stores/gun shows, football discussions, bike shops, etc.)
    I thought women were treated like royalty in car repair shops. How else would they stay in business if it weren't for women believing the repair man when he tells her she needs to have her flux capacitor replaced when she gets her oil changed, and that the repair shop can do it in 20 minutes for only $99.95! :D

Just kidding... Just kidding...

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I think it would be hard to shoot and is of limited effectiveness. But if you like it, it's better than nothing!

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009

AMEN!!!!!!!!
    ^^^^^^^^^^ I like this girl. She's my kind of people!^^^^^^^^^^^
    :rockwoot::popcorn:

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    I thought women were treated like royalty in car repair shops. How else would they stay in business if it weren't for women believing the repair man when he tells her she needs to have her flux capacitor replaced when she gets her oil changed, and that the repair shop can do it in 20 minutes for only $99.95! :D

Just kidding... Just kidding...
    :draw:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Wanting something to shoot for fun but ready and willing to take down a gorrilla if need be! lol! I want reliable, easy to learn/handle.

.38 Special, or .357 Magnum, preferably with a 3"-4" barrel instead of the snubby 2" barrels, is ideal for a new shooter looking for a learning & target gun that is also useful for defensive purposes. The .38s can be had in very mild, fun to shoot, accurate wadcutter and semi-wadcutter loads for training, practice and target shooting, and +P loads that are still quite easy to shoot while being very effective for defensive purposes. If you get a .357 Magnum revolver, which can also shoot the .38 Specials, you can move up to the extremely effective Magnum loads for defensive loads if you so wish.

I'm a huge fan of revolvers. Silly easy to use in an emergency, stone simple operating procedures, rock solid reliability, accurate, conceal well.

Edit: I always recommend a 3" Ruger SP101, either my first or second favorite gun. I cannot decide between it and the Beretta 92FS I currently carry. Somewhere I've got a review I wrote about the one I owned, and still kick myself for trading. I'll try to find it later, meantime this is a nice review also. Should cost $400-$450.
    The Ruger SP101

Edit: I found the review I wrote on my little gun: Ruger SP101 w/ 3 1/6" Barrel Review

Last edited:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Honestly, not sure about caliber. Like I said this will be my first gun so this is all rather new to me. Right now I'm just look for something reliable in my price range ( I really want to save up for the gun I *want*). Nothing (obviously) over a .40. Other than that, it's up in the air!

Oh, and don't knock .45s!! They are what my wife prefers. She actually doesn't like the softer kicking 9mm because she dislikes the snappy nature of the recoil, which is amplified by the .40. While she says the .45 has more of a kick, it's a softer slower "push," and she likes the characteristics much better. My 9 y/o boy says the same thing, and prefers shooting her 1911 to my 9mm Beretta. She's got a Rock Island Armory 1911, which has yet to malfunction on her, and with which she is deadly accurate. She didn't think she'd like the .45, until she fired my best friends, and was hooked. It's always giving the guns a try! The RIA 1911s only cost around $400. They are a little more complicated to learn than a revolver, but it's hardly an impossible task.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    CHEAP...LOL. No seriously, on my first gun I'd rather not spend over $350. I know that's not much...but c'mon, it's my first gun. Who knows if I'll even like it. lol. I hear Tauras is kind of a crappy company...what about.....

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...51&type_id=407

Sorry for just throwing things out there like this, I just have NO CLUE what to buy!

We've owned 8 or 9 Taurus', some of them with 10s of thousands of rounds through them. Cheap guns tend to be looked down upon by gun snobs. There are better brands, but you'll either have to buy used, or spend bunches more. All have performed flawlessly for us.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Oh...and I wanted to say that I went to a gun shop/range yesterday and was treated like CRAP. I picked this one because it is a small mom and pop shop in my hometown and thought that it would be best to not just buy local but support local. Needless to say I was told I am just buying a gun because I'm scared and it's people like me whoe are the hoarders and the reason there is no ammon to be had. I think I will stick to asking you guys questions and when I'm ready, just go into a shop knowing everything I NEED to know. ugh......

Almost guaranteed they wouldn't have treated a man like that. After watching my wife get treated horribly rudely at what had been my favorite gun/outdoor shop, part of our standard procedure now when checking out a new shop is to have HER start asking questions while I just wander around. If she's treated like crap, we take our money elsewhere.

Sucks, but it happens. Find yerself a good shop, it'll be worth it's weight in gold as you move up to that artillery piece you say is your dream gun :D

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    you have a rare and valuable attitude

Really???

I hate giving advice because I always feel like I am just pushing my opinion.

God bless you. A person with such an attitude is such a rare commodity on the internet.

That comment was the one that I found most interesting in this thread.

Best regards,

Terry
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

P.S. Rachel Marie I hope you find the right firearm for yourself.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Rachel,
    There is a pretty big NWI Group shoot coming up this weekend. You might want to try going to that. We'll have everthing from $100 pistols to $1500 pistols and everything in between.

Top Bottom