• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    RachelMarie,

If you can make it to Danville (west of Indy) on May 2 for a class, we'll let you try as many things as you like. PM me if you'd like the details. We'll have revolvers and autos.

If you want Accuracy, Reliability, and Self Defense, you don't want a .22. (That's my opinion not sugar coated). Beats fingernails though.

If you want Accurate and Reliable, good for learning to shoot, and something you'll always like shooting, then a .22 is an excellent choice... The problem with a pocket .22 like the Taurus or the very similar Beretta is that you'll quickly outgrow it. An entry level target .22 like the Smith and Wesson 22A, Ruger Mark III, or Browning Buckmark will be with you for a long time. All three are good, it just comes down to what feels best in your hand. Taurus does make some other nice compact pistols though in more "self defense" oriented calibers though.

For ~$299 I will echo the recommendation for a Bersa Thunder .380CC. It will be accurate, reliable, and is at the starting point for good self defense calibers. For <$250 you can get the non "CC" version of the Thunder .380 in "DuoTone"

Plus it's easy to learn and use, easy to take apart and clean. Not exactly a pocket pistol though.

Next up the price scale (~$240 to ~$340) are the Kel-Tec pistols P32 (.32ACP), P-3AT (.380 ACP), P-11 (9mm), and PF-9 (also 9mm). The first two are pocket pistols, but the P-3AT is a handful (kicks hard because of its small size and weight). The P-11 holds 10+1 round of very potent 9mm, and the slightly skinnier PF-9 holds 7+1. Both kick pretty hard, the PF-9 more so, because of a powerful round in a small package.

Right at $300-$330 are the Smith and Wesson "Sigma" pistols (SW9VE and SW40VE for example) and aside from a trigger that gets complaints, they are solid and relaible... Likewise the chunky but bulletproof Ruger "P" series, but they're up around $400. My favorite is the Ruger P95 DC ("decock only").

Once you get over $400 and get up to ~$500 the world opens up to you and you can get into some very nice used revolvers in .38 and .357, and possibly a new .38 Smith and Wesson snubby. Also there are some nice Autos in this range like the Springfield XD, Smith and Wesson M&P, Ruger SR9, some Taurus models and used Glocks.

Last edited:

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    RachelMarie, people will debate HiPoint firearms until the end of time..

If you look at firearms, you'll find a wide range of prices. I've paid $50 for a handgun, and I've paid more (much, much more) for a handgun. Like most things in life, the lower cost items will have to make up that ground somewhere.

If you search the forum you'll find people loving and hating HiPoint firearms.

The basics are as follows..

They're cheap.

They're pretty ugly.

They're not as nice as (insert X firearm here, usually Glock/XD/etc)

Like all other firearms, there are people that have problems with them.
    _______

I owned one of their carbines in 9mm for quite a while, before I set it up for my dad as a HD firearm (he's older and has mobility issues that keep him from using a shotgun well anymore).

I took a 9mm HiPoint in trade and the wife LOVES it. She started shooting on a .22 Colt handgun - she's tried Glocks in 9mm, .40 and .45, a 1911 in .45, a revolver in .38 and .44, but her favorite is the HiPoint in 9mm. It shoots well for me. Don't get me wrong, it's not my favorite firearm - I have several I'd rather carry. It's not my primary OR secondary firearm. But unlike some of my "better" firearms from respectable manufacturers, it's never failed me, even when it's dirty and gross looking. They're made in Mansfield, Ohio, IIRC, and they carry a lifetime warranty.

As usual, this is just my opinion, and it's worth exactly what you paid for it ;) If you wanna come shoot here on my range let me know :)

Ranger Rick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 6, 2008
    In GOD'S country
    Hook up with as many INGOers as you can and shoot! Kludge is on the mark, try them out, get good advice and recommendations and make a solid choice! 22's are good for practice but for personal protection you need 380cal and up!

slottech

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2008
    N.W. IN
    RachelMarire,
    First off what a really cool name. Second, If you really want to know more about a specific gun, find someone or someplace that rents them and try out several different ones. I have the Beretta 21A .22 cal. about $200 used (same as Taurus) (i believe) I like it for a fun gun to shoot 'cheaply' My wife doesn't like it much though. If that is what you can afford, so be it. I started out with a S&W Sigma 9mm, I like it, but have been bitten by the Beretta bug. I really like the Beretta family of firearms.

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    First I would like to start with an ammo question. Someone mentioned the ammo shortage, and I'm not sure I follow. I KNOW there is an ammo shortage in the stores, I get that...but cant you buy ammo online? I've looked and there doesnt seem to be an ammo shortage if you buy through the internet. Am I right or simply mis-informed?

Secondly, THANKS to all that replied. I'm taking everyones advice into careful consideration. And I have to admit, without all the advice....I would have NO CLUE what to look for!

I've decided against the .22, for sure. Leaning more towards the 380...I think. lol.
    As far as the gun I *really* want....you cant laugh. I know it is WAY (way, way) out of my league...but I held one and I'm in love. This is is the FAR future considering I dont even know how to shoot. lol.
    Product: Model 460XVR Hunter

Like I said...dont laugh. I kind of have a soft spot for S&W....It's just out of my price range for now. BUT SOON ENOUGH.......

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Oh...and I wanted to say that I went to a gun shop/range yesterday and was treated like CRAP. I picked this one because it is a small mom and pop shop in my hometown and thought that it would be best to not just buy local but support local. Needless to say I was told I am just buying a gun because I'm scared and it's people like me whoe are the hoarders and the reason there is no ammon to be had. I think I will stick to asking you guys questions and when I'm ready, just go into a shop knowing everything I NEED to know. ugh......

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    Scrape together just a few more dollars and go for a Ruger SP101 in .357 magnum. You can start out shooting .38special for practice then move up to .357 a revolver is simpler to operate and more accurate than an auto in general.

El Cazador

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    NW Hendricks CO
    Scrape together just a few more dollars and go for a Ruger SP101 in .357 magnum. You can start out shooting .38special for practice then move up to .357 a revolver is simpler to operate and more accurate than an auto in general.

+1 on the 101. Use 38 +P in it, though. .357 in it is a handful. I have a couple of them.

Used Ruger's are a good buy from my perspective, both revolvers and Semi-auto pistols. The older P models in 9mm and .40 can be found for $350 to $400, and you occasionally find them for under that. They are overbuilt for durability, maybe to the detriment of long range pistol accuracy, but that's a maybe. The revolvers are built well, too, and run the gamut of calibers. including that new .327 Federal Magnum! (I want one, sniff, but no money for that right now) :(

As for your "ultimate gun", Holy Smokes! Are you planning on carrying (slinging would be a better word) that for daily use, or what? .460 isn't exactly a every day Wal Mart round either. I'd definitely like to have a pic with you carrying that in a holster, or even slung over your shoulder! Talk about a conversation starter...

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Needless to say I was told I am just buying a gun because I'm scared and it's people like me whoe are the hoarders and the reason there is no ammon to be had.

wow. that's unreal.

With regard to caliber and ammo choice... It's just not something I would worry about. Choose the caliber that's right for you and I can only recommend two things: find a class and try a few different calibers and guns.

Also try this link: http://www.danvilleconservationclub.org/whatgun.pdf

.380 is a bit difficult to find right now, simply because people are buying anything they can get their hands on, and it's not as popular for high volume shooters that shoot 9mm, .40, .45, etc.

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    .380 is a bit difficult to find right now, simply because people are buying anything they can get their hands on, and it's not as popular for high volume shooters that shoot 9mm, .40, .45, etc.

What about online though? I've had no problem finding it online. Is it legal to buy online? (I'm learning)

Thanks! I've saved the link to my favorites and plan to check it out in a few minutes. :)

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    As for your "ultimate gun", Holy Smokes! Are you planning on carrying (slinging would be a better word) that for daily use, or what? .460 isn't exactly a every day Wal Mart round either. I'd definitely like to have a pic with you carrying that in a holster, or even slung over your shoulder! Talk about a conversation starter...

I know...right? I dont know why I'm so drawn to it...but after I get the hang of ANY gun....I'm going to get me one! :) I have to. It wouldnt be for daily use....It would be for special occasions. :rockwoot:

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009

I will for sure look into this! Thanks!

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Oh...and I wanted to say that I went to a gun shop/range yesterday and was treated like CRAP. I picked this one because it is a small mom and pop shop in my hometown and thought that it would be best to not just buy local but support local. Needless to say I was told I am just buying a gun because I'm scared and it's people like me whoe are the hoarders and the reason there is no ammon to be had. I think I will stick to asking you guys questions and when I'm ready, just go into a shop knowing everything I NEED to know. ugh......

Since you're in FTW, do yourself a favor and head over to 21st Century in Bluffton. I would be freaking astonished if they didn't trip over themselves to let you handle every single gun in the store. That's a store that actually WANTS your business.

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009

mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac
    Wow, 6 pages already. Would this thread have grown so fast if it were started by BillyJoeBob instead of RachelMarie? INGO people are pretty helpful but I think a bunch of them are hoping to see a pick of you with the new gun posted in this thread: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break_room/18115-girls_with_guns.html

:D

I really like that Ruger wheelgun mentioned in here too.

Or just maybe it is because she has asked a good question. I would be willing to help anybody that wanted to join our team male or female.

I would have actually gone further in helping a male member because I would have offered range time with an assortment of my guns, but felt it would be looked at the way you looked at this thread if I offered that to a female member.

I asked about optics for my AR and had several people I don't know from Adam trying to hand me their weapons for me to try. Gunowners are a community, how many times have you been to the range and admiring somebodies gun and they say"here give her a try" often without even worrying about the now very precious and hard to get ammo.

Just my :twocents:.

Top Bottom