What can be done to prevent criminals from obtaining firearms easily?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Can anything be done to mitigate the proliferation of arms yet keep

• Total voters

Spanky46151

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Martinsville
    Vigorously enforce the current gun laws! Prosecute to the fullest extent. Often, in crimes involving firearms, the gun offense is the first thing they plea bargain away.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    Do you think it would be easier to steal a gun, or post a ad in the classifieds that said

WTB: Hi Point, have $350 cash.

Which would be safer/easier for the bad guy? Risking his life breaking into somebody's home to steal a firearm, or walk into a gunshow and buy one with cash and walk out? Both of these actions are illegal, but what I'm getting at is that there is no law that really keeps the second action in check and the whole point of my thread was addressing that one topic. it wasn't addressing theft which to me it would seem stealing a gun would be inherently more risky then just buying one from a person I met online.

But the title of your thread is:
    And the title of your poll is:
    Can anything be done to mitigate the proliferation of arms yet keep

I offered an "easy" (as suggested in your thread title) solution to help "mitigate the proliferation of arms" & keep guns out of criminal hands.

Oh and I also voted Bacon in your poll, that way I would not scew the other results, then offered my :twocents:.

And yes, your OP was too long and I didn't read it.

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    Ban criminals from the United States. Instead of locking them up put them on a C-130 drop them in say North Korea or Iran and not let them back in the US until there sentence is served.....

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    You can't stop the proliferation of arms. They are already proliferated.

But we can START the proliferation of civility and respect that should accompany a highly armed society.

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    take a hot branding iron that says no guns allowed and brand both of thier hands

Wow that is seriously a good idea! No purple here, I didn't think of that but thats good. Might be a tad cruel and unusual. Boom, convicted violent felon, gets the branding iron to "mark" him or her as a prohibited person. Now when he/she gets released from prison they're marked as a prohibited person for all potential sellers to see.

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    But the title of your thread is:

And the title of your poll is:

I offered an "easy" (as suggested in your thread title) solution to help "mitigate the proliferation of arms" & keep guns out of criminal hands.

Oh and I also voted Bacon in your poll, that way I would not scew the other results, then offered my :twocents:.

And yes, your OP was too long and I didn't read it.

Thanks for your honesty! :ingo: This is my first poll I've ever done so some mistakes were made with the titles, I should have just copied and paste the title of the thread into the title of the poll.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Require a secure id card, like the military id cards, be issued after a background check by the state police firearms section. All transactions must go through a dealer and the card be verified at the time of the transaction. The card can be linked to a database that has a current photo on file, be linked to state database that red flags if the person has been convicted of a felony or other charge that would not allow them to purchase or carry a firearm. This card would also act as their CCW permit. (always hated those pink paper cards) :twocents:

You could put this in place and if I were a felon, I could still get a gun with a few phone calls. I've got an aunt that lives in the UK and I've spent some time in Australia. Those super duper illegal guns are available if you know where to go and have the money. More hoops for law abiding citizens is NOT a deterrent to a criminal. Never has been, never will be.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    1. Enforce current firearms laws - stop plea bargaining them away.
    2. Keep criminals locked up for the full sentence - too much recidivism to take the chance.
    3. Stop looking for ways to penalize legitimate firearms owners because criminals do bad things.

Avar

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    Martinsville, IN
    I do not see this as a "gun issue". Criminals will commit crimes, wether they have a weapon or not. Deterring crime is the real issue at hand. No matter how difficult we make it to purchase a firearm, criminals will find a way. No, I do not have the answer to the real problem, but I would like us to focus on the real issue and stop making gun ownership the target. (Pun intended)

thatgtrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Nothing can be done to stem illegal sales. It's why black markets exist.

Just look at the war on drugs. How much money thrown at it every year?

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    You could put this in place and if I were a felon, I could still get a gun with a few phone calls. I've got an aunt that lives in the UK and I've spent some time in Australia. Those super duper illegal guns are available if you know where to go and have the money. More hoops for law abiding citizens is NOT a deterrent to a criminal. Never has been, never will be.

+1. Why do so many of us fail to grasp this simple concept?

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend

So you are telling me background checks have not one time stopped a prohibited person from buying a firearm from FFL who is required to run the check?

2. Keep criminals locked up for the full sentence - too much recidivism to take the chance.
    3. Stop looking for ways to penalize legitimate firearms owners because criminals do bad things.

1. Agree current laws need to be enforced. I remember reading Obama's proposals from his 23 actions, most of them were bs. Then I read "appoint a director of the ATF", and I thought WHY the heck is there not a director of the ATF? I actually learned why the ATF is so weak. There Goes the Boom - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart - 01/16/13 - Video Clip | Comedy Central

2. Our system is a failure, we need to address why. In the mean time our prisons are overflowing. I guess we could take tax money and build more prisons to help address this.

3. Gun laws can go both ways and I think they need to. Harsher on requiring a person to merely look at an LTCH, or looser allowing citizens to carry in national parks, or other states etc. Or how about doing away with 922r compliance or other such laws? I think arguments could be made for those kinds of things too.

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    Nothing can be done to stem illegal sales. It's why black markets exist.

Just look at the war on drugs. How much money thrown at it every year?

Thats ture, this kind of law would make the blackmarket guns grow in value. I mean I have no idea on who I would talk to if I wanted to buy crack cocaine. However if i wanted to buy a gun I'd just look for a sign that said gun show this weekend etc, walk in with cash and walk away with a gun. I don't even know who I would talk to if I truely wanted to obtain an illegal machinegun but apparently they are easy to get like cocaine or other illegal guns are.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    So you are telling me background checks have not one time stopped a prohibited person from buying a firearm from FFL who is required to run the check?

He's not saying anything of the kind. But every one of them who really wanted one had one two hours later. And the guys you REALLY want to stop never go to those dealers in the first place.

2ndAmendmentdefender

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Indiana

^^^^^^^^ The Answer #2 and #3^^^^^^^^^^

Use of a gun commiting home invasion, robbery, rape or any violent felony crime should be punishable with no early release or plea bargain!

Remove all infringements on 2A.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Require a secure id card, like the military id cards, be issued after a background check by the state police firearms section. All transactions must go through a dealer and the card be verified at the time of the transaction. The card can be linked to a database that has a current photo on file, be linked to state database that red flags if the person has been convicted of a felony or other charge that would not allow them to purchase or carry a firearm. This card would also act as their CCW permit. (always hated those pink paper cards) :twocents:

OK, now think about everything you have just typed, now give this some thought. I passed all your checks and got one of them Fancy ID Cards, I have committed 147 Felonies prior to and after receiving my Fancy ID Card that says I am ok because I have not been caught yet.

Yep, seems like a great plan

Top Bottom