What can be done to prevent criminals from obtaining firearms easily?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Can anything be done to mitigate the proliferation of arms yet keep

• Total voters

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    What can be done to prevent bad guys from obtaining firearms easily?

the poll results do not show who voted for what

I’ve been brain storming some ideas about what if ANY gun laws could help ensure bad guys don’t get guns as easily AND keep our 2A rights protected. It’s a tricky topic as everybody on this forum knows. I read about guns used in crimes that can’t be traced back even when the serial numbers are in tact. Fact is a lot of firearms that are used in crimes are bought and sold privately which in my personal opinion that fact could possibly be altered. Now hear me out before the shouting matches start…

http://www.jhsph.edu/research/cente...search/publications/WhitePaper102512_CGPR.pdf
    Reading this I came to some conclusions.

I think most of us would PREFER that guns we buy and sell do not cross hands with criminals and or prohibited persons? Am I wrong here? That seems to be why many folks REQUIRE LTCH and IN DL for their private sales, even tho it is not legally required. I don't have a problem presenting my IN DL or LTCH to a stranger who is selling me a gun, or vice versa. However this is different then what the gov wants to do, requiring back ground checks on all transfers IS a back door registration. I don't think madatory background checks for all is the way to go.

So I propose this idea, require buyers and sellers to know who they buy and sell to, which might mean recording data like DL # and or LTCH # solely for the purpose for the aid of law enforcement to figure out where the firearm found at the scene of the crime came from. I don’t mind showing my LTCH to strangers when purchasing a gun, I really don’t think its too much to ask. And I honestly think it will make it at least slightly harder for a criminal to purchase a firearm if the good guys continue following the law. Sure there are folks who would be bribed by a criminal to not require LTCH or IN DL.

If you don’t agree with the idea of requiring folks to simply verify that names on an LTCH and IN DL match and the person at least appears to be a good guy? How about this idea, allowing folks to run NICS checks themselves for free. As far as running the check thru the NICS I think whats the harm in opening that up to folks so that we as responsible gunowners can police ourselves?

A law that states a person should at least be sure the person they are selling/buying from/to should not be a criminal does seem reasonable, a law that requires back ground checks on all sales seems unreasonable to me in the sense that unless I can access NICS for free then thats crap. As dumb as it would be to have to run a NICS check on your coworker, or best friend, or son/daughter, it would make sense for the folks you just met on a classified web site or a stranger at a gunshow. We as gunowners should have no the fees to FFLs for this service of transfer but I understand them having to keep the records and log it in to their books is work. In this case making sure the stranger you just met isn't a felon should consist of a cursory check of their IN DL and LTCH. Yes criminals can forge these documents, Yes it is unenforceable in that ie criminals will still be able to buy guns from folks who choose not to follow the law. However the low bottom feeder criminals will have a harder time acquiring a gun to go rob their local liquor store or what have you. At least as gun owners we can say we did everything in our power to prevent bad guys from getting a gun. In this case everything in our power was looking at a pink slip and plastic driver's license.

When people say NO NEW LAWS, SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED, that’s not really addressing the problem here with our gun crime. Again I’m trying to keep our firearm FREEDOMs intact. I’m not even talking about mass shootings (rifles in 2011 I think were used like 350+ times to murder, compared to like 11,000 handguns used to murder), I’m talking about street crime, I don’t consider the mass shooter to be your typical criminal as they seem to often be seemingly regular folks who are mentally unstable and fly under everyone’s radar until they plot their plans to kill as many as possible and one day snap and commit them.

I'm not saying that this is the answer, but I think as responsible gunowners it can't hurt to brain storm ideas that will both MITIGATE crime, ande nsure we have our freedom intact. I say mitigate because this will not stop the professional criminals from doing their thing but it would make it more difficult for some Chicago thug to drive 90 miles to a Indiana gunshow and walkaway with whatever guns his gang needs. That seems silly how easy it is for a criminal to obtain weapons, YES I know it is illegal for a felon to merely handle a firearm, but unless we are obligated to check them out ourselves it will be redicuously easy for any felon/bad guy to go to any gunshow (or use online classified ads) and just hand over cash for gun. America was founded on firearms no doubt, but I think we should at least TRY and come up with some good ideas to help law enforcement out.

Of course there are many other things I think should be opened up to help mitigate street crime, one of which would be to allow national LTCH laws or at least try and fix this patchwork of laws that don’t work and force me to pullover, unload my handgun and lock it up in the trunk when I enter Ohio… THAT should change for sure as well. But for this one thread I’m just proposing some ideas after I read some stats. Fact Sheet: Illegal gun trafficking arms criminals & youth « Gun Victims Action Council

Certainly there are things that need to go both ways. We could require to see LTCH and that could be a law, how about doing away with NFA
    registration? Gun laws should go both ways, why is a suppressor an NFA item that I have to pass another background check on when I already submitted my fingerprints to the feds for obtaining my LTCH. But Im getting off topic here.

Last edited:

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    Keep them in jail...

Life sentences for everything?

Also I know these kind of threads get heated, I'm really just trying to come up with some sort of solution. If none of these are worth implementing and folks would like to explain past a one sentence post, please do.

~Jeff~

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Life sentences for everything?

Also I know these kind of threads get heated, I'm really just trying to come up with some sort of solution. If none of these are worth implementing and folks would like to explain past a one sentence post, please do.

that would be a deterrent to crime. But damn we'd need a LOT more prisons

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    Of course not, but if they're too dangerous to own a gun, why the hell are you letting them out?

Obviously our rehabilitation system is not working with rates of recidivism as they are. That’s not the topic of this thread, but sure we can brainstorm ideas on how to fix our prison system too.

troopjones

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2012
    Valparaiso, IN
    Require a secure id card, like the military id cards, be issued after a background check by the state police firearms section. All transactions must go through a dealer and the card be verified at the time of the transaction. The card can be linked to a database that has a current photo on file, be linked to state database that red flags if the person has been convicted of a felony or other charge that would not allow them to purchase or carry a firearm. This card would also act as their CCW permit. (always hated those pink paper cards) :twocents:

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    What can be done to prevent criminals from obtaining firearms easily?

Lock up your guns, In a secure safe that can not be removed (easily) from your premisis. That is the easiest way to keep guns out of criminal hands.
    I was shocked when I read through the slolen guns thread at the amount of guns guns stolen in just the last couple of months, and that is just what is reported here on INGO. :eek:

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    Lock up your guns, In a secure safe that can not be removed (easily) from your premisis. That is the easiest way to keep guns out of criminal hands.
    I was shocked when I read through the slolen guns thread at the amount of guns guns stolen in just the last couple of months, and that is just what is reported here on INGO. :eek:

Do you think it would be easier to steal a gun, or post a ad in the classifieds that said

WTB: Hi Point, have $350 cash.

Which would be safer/easier for the bad guy? Risking his life breaking into somebody's home to steal a firearm, or walk into a gunshow and buy one with cash and walk out? Both of these actions are illegal, but what I'm getting at is that there is no law that really keeps the second action in check and the whole point of my thread was addressing that one topic. it wasn't addressing theft which to me it would seem stealing a gun would be inherently more risky then just buying one from a person I met online.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Promote concealed carry by reducing fees and/or instituting Constitutional carry.
    Eliminate so-called "gun free" zones.

Law abiding citizens will then reduce the population of criminals, and criminals will decide on a less risky line of work.

Either way, less firearms will be in the hands of criminals.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Demand that anyone denied via the NICS check be arrested immediately. And that all mentally ill who attempt to buy guns or are in the possession of a gun be euthanized.

Also strip everyone who is forbidden guns of full citizenship. No voting, no professional licenses (doctor, lawyer, CPA, teaching) and mandate that it be shown on the drivers license.

Make the laws harsh and the democrats will not push for more.

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    Why would you let them out if you couldn't trust them with a firearm?

Look its already illegal for felons to possess firearms, I'm not arguing that. This thread IS NOT about overturning this, its about POSSIBLY altering the way guns are transfered so easily. And that might be literally something as simple as looking at a DL or LTCH.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I voted to do nothing. Criminals, by definition, are people that will not obey the law, so what will a law, that would inconvenience the law abiding, do to stop a criminal?

Top Bottom