What are you smoking or What do you enjoy smoking (Pipe & Cigar Thread)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    a bit over 10yr ago I was cruising around Evansville in my 69 Fairlane. I saw a few ratty classics at this cigar shop and decided to pull in, just so I could bother another Ford guy about his car. after a few hours of indoctrination (great conversation) I walked out with some cheapy pipes & many samples of tobacco. I enjoyed it but didn’t really pursue the interest for a few reasons.

Today I was cigar shopping with a friend at The Briar and The Burley in btown, and caught the bug again. I grabbed this rusticated Savinelli 404 and some Early Morning Pipe (previous favorite) and per recommendation, Balkan Sobranie.

cheers! it was a good afternoon. :pimp:

IMG_1727.jpeg

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    a bit over 10yr ago I was cruising around Evansville in my 69 Fairlane. I saw a few ratty classics at this cigar shop and decided to pull in, just so I could bother another Ford guy about his car. after a few hours of indoctrination (great conversation) I walked out with some cheapy pipes & many samples of tobacco. I enjoyed it but didn’t really pursue the interest for a few reasons.

Today I was cigar shopping with a friend at The Briar and The Burley in btown, and caught the bug again. I grabbed this rusticated Savinelli 404 and some Early Morning Pipe (previous favorite) and per recommendation, Balkan Sobranie.

View attachment 337696
    I can't walk into that shop and leave with out spending at least $100.

Also those pipes are incredible.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    On a related note, neighborhood teens are smoking some decent smelling pot. Not the crap I typically smell as I walk past cars in the parking lots.

Our POS new neighbor across the street has two annoying long haired weiner dogs that bark at literally nothing. And they leave them out for hours at a time. I'm trying my best to get them to stop barking at me by feeding them treats. Gonna take a while. But I digress...

So at 9:30 I hear the dogs barking nonstop. 10 mins later they are STILL barking. I look out and I see in the shadows several teens sitting by the road between ours and our neighbors house. (no streetlights) I cant tell what they are doing because its dark and I can only see their outlines by the headlight of their electric scooter laying on the ground and the infrequent headlights of passing cars. But they are clearly just sitting and chilling not bothering anyone. (except for the damn dogs) No worries.

Another 10 minutes pass and the damn dogs are STILL barking at the kids without a break. I've had enough of the noise (its nice so our windows are open) so I go outside.

The minute I leave my porch I smell pot. They are 30 feet away at least. I go over and say hi politely. "Hey guys. Could you do me a HUGE favor and possibly go hang somewhere else? *I* dont mind you are here. And its cool. I dont care you are smoking out. Thats cool**. But those damn dogs across the street wont STFU. And they are driving me nuts. Not your fault they are sh**y dog owners that leave their dogs out to bark at everything. Would you mind maybe going around the corner and hanging where the dogs cant see you?"

They were very polite and apologetic. And surprisingly they were all girls. I didnt turn on my tac light so I have no idea what they look like. But I know who at least two of them are because they are constantly riding those scooters past our house. (harmlessly)

** not a huge fan of underage consumers, but the last thing I need are p****ed off teens smashing my stuff later because I was perceived to be a d**** to them. No skin off my nose. I'll let somebody who cares bust them.

/hijack

fullmetaljesus

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    On a related note, neighborhood teens are smoking some decent smelling pot. Not the crap I typically smell as I walk past cars in the parking lots.

Our POS new neighbor across the street has two annoying long haired weiner dogs that bark at literally nothing. And they leave them out for hours at a time. I'm trying my best to get them to stop barking at me by feeding them treats. Gonna take a while. But I digress...

So at 9:30 I hear the dogs barking nonstop. 10 mins later they are STILL barking. I look out and I see in the shadows several teens sitting by the road between ours and our neighbors house. (no streetlights) I cant tell what they are doing because its dark and I can only see their outlines by the headlight of their electric scooter laying on the ground and the infrequent headlights of passing cars. But they are clearly just sitting and chilling not bothering anyone. (except for the damn dogs) No worries.

Another 10 minutes pass and the damn dogs are STILL barking at the kids without a break. I've had enough of the noise (its nice so our windows are open) so I go outside.

The minute I leave my porch I smell pot. They are 30 feet away at least. I go over and say hi politely. "Hey guys. Could you do me a HUGE favor and possibly go hang somewhere else? *I* dont mind you are here. And its cool. I dont care you are smoking out. Thats cool**. But those damn dogs across the street wont STFU. And they are driving me nuts. Not your fault they are sh**y dog owners that leave their dogs out to bark at everything. Would you mind maybe going around the corner and hanging where the dogs cant see you?"

They were very polite and apologetic. And surprisingly they were all girls. I didnt turn on my tac light so I have no idea what they look like. But I know who at least two of them are because they are constantly riding those scooters past our house. (harmlessly)

** not a huge fan of underage consumers, but the last thing I need are p****ed off teens smashing my stuff later because I was perceived to be a d**** to them. No skin off my nose. I'll let somebody who cares bust them.

/hijack
    I read this twice truly ng to come up with a good response...

My only though is.

So how much did you smoke with them? :D

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

/hijack
    I read this twice truly ng to come up with a good response...

My only though is.

So how much did you smoke with them? :D
    I was going to ask what are you smoking. :lmfao:

10mm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2024
    Greencastle

View attachment 337696

That early morning was always excellent with a slightly sweet tea. An easy smoke all day back when I still smoked. I still have my Peterson, but I mostly just smell it and wish for a nightcap now and again.
    Nice to see someone else with such good taste!

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    That early morning was always excellent with a slightly sweet tea. An easy smoke all day back when I still smoked. I still have my Peterson, but I mostly just smell it and wish for a nightcap now and again.
    Nice to see someone else with such good taste!
    sweet tea would be good if I had it, but Folgers gourmet is the choice this afternoon.

IMG_1737.jpeg

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I quit cigs about 6 or 7 weeks ago....went through my pipe collection and organized it...I have 31 pipes...most purchased in the 1990s and some that came in the shop I bought...ssplit between Petersons, Salvinellis, and Stanwells with a couple of GBD's, Chacoms, meerschaums, etc...in the mix...as far as tobacco I have a big old copper tin lined humidor from the early 20th century and I just throw my tobacco in there when I get low and mix it up....I don't know the blend but I like it...got another jar of cavendish and some perique mix as well I keep separate....

It's been a joy...I load a pipe and sip a little smoke as needed....usually lasts a day...I've got a couple of big bowl Danish free hands and Petersons that last a while.....it's been fun getting back into it....

That humidor kept my tobacco fresh for 10 years lol.... 1709934231155.png

crookcountygo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 28, 2022
    Indiana
    had to run in quick for some.. pipe cleaners. it’s dangerous

I’m smoking the Evening Stroll currently and it is excellent

View attachment 338597
    I’d like to take up pipe smoking but still in the learning phase and not sure which type to start with. I really like the look of the one in the picture. What is that style called and would it be rude to ask how much it might set me back?

fullmetaljesus

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I’d like to take up pipe smoking but still in the learning phase and not sure which type to start with. I really like the look of the one in the picture. What is that style called and would it be rude to ask how much it might set me back?
    Pick out a $30 basket pipe from your local shop and while you're at it grab a Missouri meersham corn cob pipe. Switch between the two back and fourth at your leisure. Pick out a couple different tobaccos based on smell. In cigars you're dumb if you smell it thinking you will get hints of what it's like to smoke it but pipe tobacco is different. Sniff away my friend. Get one light one dark. Figure out what you like.

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    Same here. I chose to walk in my local shop (The Briar & The Burley in Bloomington, excellent shop) and impulse buy pipes that look aesthetic and tobaccos that smell nice and/or were recommended by those with more experience. Usually there’s some good conversation included free of charge, and even a smoke room where one can sample house blends. I’m unsure of the pipe style I bought today but the brand is Savinelli and I paid $130. I’m more of a pipe guy than a tobacco guy, so I don’t mind buying a mid range pipe as a beginner just because it’s pretty. Also, not that it matters, but once into this range pipes hold value and can be sold if preferences change, as I know mine will.

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    Well fellas, I have officially stopped smoking. So I have these two humidors to get rid of. The big one, I bought at the tinder box in Mishawaka long ago for arounf $150. The small one, I think I got it from CI, don’t remember how much. Anyway suggestions on price for them? this Will be FTF in The Michiana area, so that my hold down the millions I could likely get.

View attachment 337446
    Honestly probably not much. The smaller one looks similar to one's you can find online new for under $50. The larger one looks like it had mold and/or water damage. It could be sanded and revived a bit, but probably not worth much unfortunately.

fullmetaljesus

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Same here. I chose to walk in my local shop (The Briar & The Burley in Bloomington, excellent shop) and impulse buy pipes that look aesthetic and tobaccos that smell nice and/or were recommended by those with more experience. Usually there’s some good conversation included free of charge, and even a smoke room where one can sample house blends. I’m unsure of the pipe style I bought today but the brand is Savinelli and I paid $130. I’m more of a pipe guy than a tobacco guy, so I don’t mind buying a mid range pipe as a beginner just because it’s pretty. Also, not that it matters, but once into this range pipes hold value and can be sold if preferences change, as I know mine will.
    I'm going to report you to the mods if you don't post pics of that pipe!

Top Bottom