• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HamsterStyle

Master
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    Here's my review from a few years ago when I was looking for something new. We have since bought another one for Aidan's AR that he built. They work great and for the price we paid, I am very happy.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...rainier-arms-xtc-compensator.html#post3531784

Edited to add: I just Googled this to find a link for you. It was discontinued some time ago. Shows how up to date on this, I am. Lol. I stand behind my review though. Maybe you can find a used one or new, old stock.

Last edited:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Are you looking for a flash hider or a muzzle brake? 2 different items at 2 different price points.

Good question.

And a question that I'm not sure that I have an answer to, to be honest.

For ME, I'm not sure that it matters.

I know that the A2 birdcages work just fine. I know that I'm HIGHLY unlikely to notice any difference with a muzzle brake.

Perhaps what I'm looking for is just a better looking flash hider, then... Hmmmm...

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Aug 15, 2008
    With the naked eye, I can still see flash with an A2. I cannot see the flash at all with the Vortex, or a few of the other aftermarket flash reducing muzzle devices.

It just depends how important reducing/eliminating the flash is to you. For many, the A2 is good enough and it is very inexpensive. It keeps the flash out of your sight picture so you can see to shoot in lowish light. It may not prevent an adversary from identifying your position, however, since there usually is some residual flash (although it is greatly reduced over a bare muzzle).

Personally, for what I do, I don't think a comp is necessary for the 5.56 (for me). Some people want that little extra muzzle rise/recoil reduction for their purpose. That's fine.

It's all a cost, benefit thing.

Slapstick

Master
    Jul 29, 2010
    I like the YHM Phantom. It does a great job as a flash hider, looks good and can be had for under $30. I have several breaks but took them off my AR's to be considerate to other people at the range. Honestly I didn't think they were worth the cost considering recoil on an AR is minimal and I know the people I shoot with appreciated it. Here's a review of 33 flash hider from Truth About Guns. AR-15 Flash Hider Shootout - The Truth About Guns

Psode27

Expert
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    SI j-Comp if I was in your shoes. I don't have one, but they seem decent.
    I have a cheap AR Stoner brake that works well too, I can't remember what I paid. It was probably 30-40$. I also have a Nordic brake that looks pretty cool, though I haven't shot it yet. I mostly bought it because it fit a budget pistol build really well, but I think they are decent. It was 30$ I think.

Tangero

Plinker
    Jul 3, 2013
    Lake County
    I second the Strike J-Comp. Just put one on my 16" upper and it works great (and they're $27 on Primary Arms). In my experience it also doesn't affect the volume of the muzzle report in a noticeable way, too

Top Bottom