• ...and so much more!
  • Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Well, to be fair, (not that I care to be fair in this particular instance) GW DOES have the current POTUS and his antics to be compared to. Obama makes Jimmy Carter AND Woodrow Wilson AND FDR look good in comparison.

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    Well, to be fair, (not that I care to be fair in this particular instance) GW DOES have the current POTUS and his antics to be compared to. Obama makes Jimmy Carter AND Woodrow Wilson AND FDR look good in comparison.
    so your saying if you compare Brussels sprouts to manure, the sprouts start to look good. :):

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

How does FDR, a guy who imprisoned American citizens, tried to stack the Supreme Court, and essentially created the modern American welfare state, "look good" in comparison to Obama? Am I missing something?

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    How does FDR, a guy who imprisoned American citizens, tried to stack the Supreme Court, and essentially created the modern American welfare state, "look good" in comparison to Obama? Am I missing something?

Lead us through WWII, guided us out of the Depression ( instead of starting one, O)
    Reigned in Wall Street with the FEC. Tennessee Valley authority, Civilian Conservation Corp. unemployment went from 25% to 14%
    The Good Neighbor Policy with Latin America,
    only President to be elected to four terms (somebody sure liked him 60% of the vote and all but two states in '36)

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    gallery_37551_950_6770.jpg

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow

Lead us through WWII, guided us out of the Depression ( instead of starting one, O)
    Reigned in Wall Street with the FEC. Tennessee Valley authority, Civilian Conservation Corp. unemployment went from 25% to 14%
    The Good Neighbor Policy with Latin America,
    only President to be elected to four terms (somebody sure liked him 60% of the vote and all but two states in '36)

I'm with Kut on this. Roosevelt is beloved in the US like Stalin was (is) in the UtSSR, a heavy-handed statist who was falling flat on his face until Hitler bailed him out. If you examine lots of Roosevelt's actions, they were actually inept. Like Mao the Great Helmsman, he 'guided' a grateful nation through its hours of need.

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    Presidents are defined by their times. Mom loved him, Dad didn't. But he was a WWII soldier and she was "Rosie the Riveter"

Anyway, W is liked and disliked more and less, respectively, than the current occupant of the White House.
    I guess vitriol fades

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Tough for W's reputation NOT to improve nowadays when compared to the absolute worst POTUS in the entire 239 year history of the U.S.

However 'beloved' FDR was (is) or wasn't (isn't), he was still better than the Liar-In-Chief currently (and thankfully, not much longer) in the chair.

The only real issue is, how much more damage can the Liar-In-Chief do before he's booted to the curb?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I'm with Kut on this. Roosevelt is beloved in the US like Stalin was (is) in the UtSSR, a heavy-handed statist who was falling flat on his face until Hitler bailed him out. If you examine lots of Roosevelt's actions, they were actually inept. Like Mao the Great Helmsman, he 'guided' a grateful nation through its hours of need.

I'm not sure how valid a criticism this is. Churchill was wandering in the hinterland, disgraced by decisions he made regarding Gallipoli until the same circumstances saved his career. God [or fate or whatever you prefer] has a way of finding the right leader for the right time.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica

Don't forget he confiscated privately owned gold through Executive Order, attacked the 2nd Amendment directly via the National Firearms Act of 1934, set wage controls & price controls, created over 100 new federal bureaucracies via the "New Deal", instituted Social Security Act, and so much more. FDR was a frothing statist and admirer of fascism. He is easily the #1 worst, most destructive U.S. president. I really have nothing commendable to say about Obama, but he is no where close to FDR and several others.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Maybe the people have finally realized, six+ years in, that W is no longer president, contrary to what the Community Organizer-in-Chief claims whenever more bad news his administration has fostered comes up.
    Regarding FDR, yes he was a terrible president with his extra-constitutional power grabs that reverberate to this day, but I would point out that the only reason that he was able to get away with that was because he originally became president during the Great Depression, then served over twelve years straight, using both the Depression and WWII as his main excuses for his usurpations.
    He also had a compliant Congress for most of that time to rubber stamp most of what he did.
    By contrast, BHO will have a now constitutionally constrained maximum of eight years in office, only the first two of which were with a compliant Congress (hello, Obamacare) to bulldoze through his radical agenda.
    Were it not for the 2010 and 2014 elections, we probably really would be talking about FDR as not quite the authoritarian that the current president is.
    It's also worth mention that a great number of those in the Democrat party, having drifted inexorably wildly leftward, already describe BHO as too "moderate."

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    Don't forget he confiscated privately owned gold through Executive Order, attacked the 2nd Amendment directly via the National Firearms Act of 1934, set wage controls & price controls, created over 100 new federal bureaucracies via the "New Deal", instituted Social Security Act, and so much more. FDR was a frothing statist and admirer of fascism. He is easily the #1 worst, most destructive U.S. president. I really have nothing commendable to say about Obama, but he is no where close to FDR and several others.

Agreed.

I know a few "conservatives" that think that FDR was the savior of this country. Even when confronted with these facts, they still see him as the one that got us out of the Great Depression. I think that one has to look at how things like high school history is taught, mostly by leftists, then look at college, where even more push the leftist agenda.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

My dad has a standard response when he goes to French Lick...They have a photograph of FDR and Al Capone side by side to show some of the famous people who used to visit West Baden and French Lick....

Dad walks up to the photos, looks at mom and says, "Look here honey, they got photos of America's two biggest criminals...Of course Al Capone is really not in the same league as FDR..."

Christopher Hitchens knew this (W being smart) and rather famously Hitch-slapped Bill Mahers audience when Maher's made a "Bush is dumb joke"..........

[video=youtube;HECI4QK_mXA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HECI4QK_mXA[/video]

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

THIS! ^^^

Didn't read the rest of the replies after this but had to comment. If you look at before and after, Roosevelt institutionalized more new collectivist constructs in government than any other president in history. As much as I dislike Obama's ideology and what he's done to fundamentally change the US, I am reminded how much worse FDR was for this country. I doubt Obama as a lame duck, dealing with an opposition legislature, will cause much worse than he has already. That said, if Obama had a great depression, a WWII, and a Hitler, he could have done so much more to hasten the end of a free nation.

Top Bottom